PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't any manufacturer basically copy Apple's case?

PanAm-L1011
Oct 24, 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm on my fourth iPad case - the Yoobao Slim. For now, this one is a keeper. I have Apple's official case, which is nearly perfect. What I hate is the rough edges and the fact that it is impossible to keep clean. With the Slim, the flap is annoying. I never prop it up. I just don't know why no one has copied the Apple case, made with better material and no rough edges.

Night Spring
Oct 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Apple would have patented the design, so no other company can make the exact same design, even if they use different materials.

JonMPLS
Oct 24, 2010, 10:09 AM
This is about as close as I have seen.

HardCandy (http://www.hardcandycases.com/candy-convertible-ipad-case.html)

Kobra
Oct 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
you also have the Case Crown canvas and the Chinao leather...

MST
Oct 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
I thought I was the only person out there with love for Apple's case, I agree that the edges are sharp but in terms of cleaning it I just spray a bit of iKlear on a microfibre cloth and wipe any marks off, always comes up looking brand new ;)

jparris1
Oct 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
I love the Case Crown canvas. The material is so much better than the Apple case.

sracer
Oct 24, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'm on my fourth iPad case - the Yoobao Slim. For now, this one is a keeper. I have Apple's official case, which is nearly perfect. What I hate is the rough edges and the fact that it is impossible to keep clean. With the Slim, the flap is annoying. I never prop it up. I just don't know why no one has copied the Apple case, made with better material and no rough edges.

Your definition of "near perfect" is far from mine. The only reason why I bought one was because it was the only one available at launch. There is very little that is praise-worthy about the case IMO.

PanAm-L1011
Oct 24, 2010, 05:42 PM
Your definition of "near perfect" is far from mine. The only reason why I bought one was because it was the only one available at launch. There is very little that is praise-worthy about the case IMO.

Well, for me, I don't care about solid protection. I just want something that protects the back and screen from scratches in my bag. I want something thin that is flat when I flip the cover over. 99% of the time I use my iPad in portrait position. The Apple case was the most comfortable to hold. The Slim is almost there, if it weren't for the closure flap.

sparkomatic
Oct 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm with you PanAm. What I don't like about the iPad case:

- It gets dirty to easily
- The edges
- I wish the speaker was more open

I really like the Vaja Agenda 2 but, it's to expensive and I think it would be too thick for my taste.

I've been looking for cases left and right but have yet to find that perfect one just yet.

I'm using a SGP Vintage case right now. It's close to perfect for me but not quite there yet.

doodude
Oct 25, 2010, 06:12 PM
I purchased the Apple case so there wouldn't be any time that it wasn't in something to protect it.
I just figured I would look for something else after I got it but it turns out I actually like it. The sharp edges I see as good non bulky protection should I drop it on one of it's ends. (GOD forbid!!!)
I haven't had cleaning issues...

What I'm looking for now is a neoprene type case that I can slip the iPad with case into for better protection in my overnight bag.
Any suggestions on something that fits both?

Kobra
Oct 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
...What I'm looking for now is a neoprene type case that I can slip the iPad with case into for better protection in my overnight bag.
Any suggestions on something that fits both?
I'm using The Targus A7 Sleeve, the Apple case (and others) fits well in it :)

Davydd
Nov 13, 2010, 04:58 PM
I'm happy with the Apple iPad case but wish they would modify it with simple lapped edge seams tight to the iPad instead of those sharp flange edges that stick out.

SeanU
Nov 16, 2010, 01:36 PM
What I'm looking for now is a neoprene type case that I can slip the iPad with case into for better protection in my overnight bag. Any suggestions on something that fits both?

I got a cheap neoprene sleeve off of ebay. I don't recommend using one without a screen protector. I started to notice a few fine scratches on the glass which I think were caused by sliding the iPad in and out of the neoprene and a small grain of dirt or sand. I'm currently using the Incase Bookjacket which offers good protection, but is bulky, a bit heavy and has a warping issue. I'm still looking for a "perfect" case.

nixiemaiden
Nov 17, 2010, 08:26 AM
The chinao is basically the same but the outside is a leather feeling material. It has the same protruding edges which I think are there for a reason. It seems like if you drop the iPad on one of the edges, it will provide some extra shock absorption...I'm not willing to test that one out but it seems that is why it is there.