Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Alright, I want to start a new poll.

The question is: How time do you spend (waste, according to my wife) in Macrumors in a typical day?

1) less than 10 minutes
2) 10 to 30 minutes
3) 30 - 59 minutes
4) 1 to 2 hours
5) 2 to 5 hours
6) more than 5 hours
7) Haven't left since joining.

If there are enough results, I'll tally them up and split them by membership level and average time per post.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
dvdh said:
. . .
3) 30 - 59 minutes
. . . .

But today is an exceptional day, I have definitely gone over my 59 minutes . . .

Thats between 180 and 360 hours a year or 7.5 to 15 days. Ouch is right.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Option 5) 2-5hrs

:eek:

Only because I'm on holiday, getting over a cold, and not because I'm some lazy, feckless individual with dirty dishes in the kitchen sink... :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
probably between one and two hours......but then again im browsing Macrumors and other sites at the same time....

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
probably between one and two hours......but then again im browsing Macrumors and other sites at the same time....

Personally, I object to the term "waste" - the time I spend here is devoted to personal and professional enlightenment, and enriches my life. ;) Well, except for the gimmick thread. And maybe the who is edesignuk thread, and, um... Okay, I guess waste is appropriate!

That being said, I spend about an hour or two a day actively doing anything here. Excluding the weekends, during which I'm essentially non-existent here.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
During the week, I'm logged in probably 2-5 hours, but only actively reading or posting for more like 30-59 minutes.
Everyone needs a hobby, right?

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
mostly 3) 30-59 minutes... sometimes more... if it is more, i'm usually ichatting at the same time...

can we make this a poll? i thought those were enabled now??

reality

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Depends on my level of workload vs boredom; can be anywhere from ten minutes to two hours.

Lately I've been busy workwise and preoccupied with other amusements, so my posts have been less.

spikeovsky

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Beijing
Mostly choice 2 or 3, but today, as some may have noticed, i'm into number 5 territory (finished exams, on break for 6 weeks). Apologies to those who may be tiring of my numerous and wordy posts :). I'm just trying to get rid of that "newbie" tag...

EDIT: But I'm not spamming! Really! Am I? :eek:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
dvdh said:
1) less than 10 minutes
4) 1 to 2 hours
5) 2 to 5 hours
6) more than 5 hours
For chunks of time in the past (a few months between April and June, a month and a half around October), it was (1) - essentially zero time at all.

On days I work at work and not at home, it's (4).

"Work at home" days: it often pushes into (5).

During the silly edesignuk stalker thread, it went well into (6).

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Well it looks like this one has kind of died off . . . oh well.

I charted the 16 responses anyways, and will update if the thread comes back to life.

BTW, EDesignUK and Mechcozmo, I put you both at more that 5 hours . . . you can object if you like, but there might be some people who would object to your objection too ;)

The chart is current to crazzyeddie's post (#17) and I will update when there are 10 or so more responses.

Attachments

• timespent.jpg
    timespent.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 201

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dvdh said:
BTW, EDesignUK and Mechcozmo, I put you both at more that 5 hours . . . you can object if you like, but there might be some people who would object to your objection too ;)
I wouldn't object. I have MR open all day while I'm at work, and between fixing peoples problems, I check and post on MR. Fixing problems and MR keep me busy all day.

edit: So, if I'm not fixing Windows problems in the office for a couple thousand users, I'm *trying* to help with Mac problems on here...hmmmm...there's something wrong here.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
edesignuk said:
I wouldn't object. I have MR open all day while I'm at work, and between fixing peoples problems, I check and post on MR. Fixing problems and MR keep me busy all day.

We need people like you to hold this 'place' together, so keep up the good work.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
edesignuk said:

And sometimes you are fixing people's problems ON the MR Forums.

I know you've helped me at times on the board and in PM.

Thanks for the time you invest here as opposed to wasting. ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.