PDA

View Full Version : Will a PowerBook g4 be sufficient for my needs?

barny
Oct 24, 2010, 06:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi. I have recently noticed that a laptop would be very useful for me. I have an old dell one but it is extremely slow. I just need something good for browsin the Internet and basic word processing. I was thinking maybe going for a good condition PowerBook g4? What do u guys think?

Barny :)

g4 powerbookboy
Oct 24, 2010, 06:27 PM
I have one of the original g4 powerbooks. it is a g4 titanium 400 mhz/512 ram and so far i am very happy with it. it does everything i need it to do, including running live weather radar programs since i am a storm chaser by trade in the US. i think if you could find one reasonably priced in decent condition you wil be happy with it. dont run anything lower than os x 10.4.11 since most programs still support 10.4.11

spinnerlys
Oct 24, 2010, 06:28 PM
The PowerBook G4 will be sufficient enough, unless you visit Flash related websites like YouTube or other similar sites, as Flash is quite CPU hungry and the G4 is not really equipped for that kind of CPU activity anymore, it is an old architecture. Better get one of the first MacBooks (Core Duo) if you want to use YouTube or similar Flash related video sites.
And as the above post indicates, the G4 came in many variants, from 400MHz and 128MB RAM to 1.67GHz and 512MB RAM as standard.
See here for all the models: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html

Btw:

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=205018) created by mad jew in 2006

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems))
To edit your thread title, just click on the http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/buttons/edit.gif button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle (http://mroogle.edesignuk.com/), since that question may have been asked several times?

Example: Will a PowerBook G4 (xy GHz, xyz MB RAM) be sufficient for ....

barny
Oct 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the tip. Sorry I was rushing and didn't think about what I wa writing. I'm afraid I changed it but it doesn't seem to have changed the topic name, just the title when u go into post. Another question. I am from the uk (if this makes any difference) and all the PowerBooks go for loads on eBay. Even the low spec ones that are apparently worth under 100. I want to get a laptop with the apple look but at a lower price and even te very first PowerBooks don't seem to sell for low amounts.

mrsir2009
Oct 24, 2010, 07:15 PM
Yeah it'll be great as long as you don't want to stream videos in your web browser.

Johnny7
Oct 24, 2010, 07:38 PM
I was able to get my powerbook g4 12", 1.0GHz on ebay for $220 total which seemed like a fair deal to me. You just need to really keep your eyes peeled on ebay and look frequently, they can sell quick if its a really good deal. If I were you, I'd go for the Aluminum models (1.0GHz and up), from what I've heard anything lower is significantly slower but all are still useful. Just don't spend too much on one, these are quite old machines and are obsolete when it comes to new applications and operating systems.

Hope you find what you're looking for. :apple:
-Johnny

MikieMcBikie
Oct 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
i use a g4 1.67GHZ 1.5 GIG ram for what you are asking about and it works very well. side note i installed leopard on it a few months ago and the performance went to hell, going back to tiger with it. I will so miss quicklook tho

Hrududu
Oct 24, 2010, 08:43 PM
Powerbook G4 is just fine for that. I'd highly recommend one that has a 1GHz or faster processor just because so many sites today are using more and more graphics and flash video. I use old Powerbooks daily, and they are still excellent computers.

disconap
Oct 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
For your needs, I'd actually suggest a netbook--they're newer, faster, and there are distributions of Linux that will emulate OSX (or you can hack OSX onto it, if you buy the right kind and a 10.6 install disc). I have one that I use for those purposes (I still use my G4 iBook for anything more heady) and it's a great little machine, I'm actually using it right now as I run diagnostics on my main compy...

barny
Oct 25, 2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

:)

roadbloc
Oct 25, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'd advise for you to avoid buy anything PowerPC based. Get an early intel mac.

mrsir2009
Oct 25, 2010, 12:11 PM

Why? Early intel Macs aren't that stable anyway (at least the early intel iMacs are not).

666sheep
Oct 25, 2010, 12:54 PM

Why?

@mrsir2009: because of this, I think: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11223979&postcount=75 ;)

mrsir2009
Oct 25, 2010, 01:01 PM
@mrsir2009: because of this, I think: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11223979&postcount=75 ;)

"Never had a PowerPC Mac myself, however, I do occasionally use the G5 at work. "

Whats so bad about that?

666sheep
Oct 25, 2010, 01:07 PM
Lack of experience with G4 PowerBooks and giving advices to others? ;)
No offense ofc.

barny
Oct 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
Well, i think what attracts me to the PowerBook G4 is that it employs a design similar to that of the current MacBook Pro's whilst also being relatively low cost to buy. I love that aluminium finish which looks so classy and slick and you would never get that on a PC. So yeah, the reason i think PowerPC may be good is because it will allow me to still get the style, without the cost. I am completely open to suggestions if you can find any PC as sleek and sexy as the PowerBook/MacBook.

The issue is finding one which is in relatively good nick and the right spec for me. I would definitely not go with the Titanium model as it is known to have issues and I personally don't think it looks as good as the aluminium one.

I really want to experience the Mac quality, style and operating system at a low cost. Maybe a laptop isn't the way to go to do this?

Barny :apple:

Hrududu
Oct 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Well, i think what attracts me to the PowerBook G4 is that it employs a design similar to that of the current MacBook Pro's whilst also being relatively low cost to buy. I love that aluminium finish which looks so classy and slick and you would never get that on a PC. So yeah, the reason i think PowerPC may be good is because it will allow me to still get the style, without the cost. I am completely open to suggestions if you can find any PC as sleek and sexy as the PowerBook/MacBook.

The issue is finding one which is in relatively good nick and the right spec for me. I would definitely not go with the Titanium model as it is known to have issues and I personally don't think it looks as good as the aluminium one.

I really want to experience the Mac quality, style and operating system at a low cost. Maybe a laptop isn't the way to go to do this?

I am willing to bet most of the people on this board either have never owned a Powerbook G4 or haven't touched one in years. When they are out there saying "it won't do flash" and "its too slow to get online" they have no clue what they are talking about. I currently own and use 3 G4 Powerbooks ranging from 667MHz to 1.5GHz and I can assure you it does what you are looking for. I really think you'll be happy with the performance especially if you're used to an 800MHz PIII system. If you end up buying it and not liking, then at this point in time you can turn around and re-sell it for what you paid and move on.

dukebound85
Oct 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
all i know is that my emac 1ghz g4 with 1 gig ram can not play anything on youtube without MASSIVE stuttering

not to mention it is slow as mud

Hrududu
Oct 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
For your needs, I'd actually suggest a netbook--they're newer, faster, and there are distributions of Linux that will emulate OSX (or you can hack OSX onto it, if you buy the right kind and a 10.6 install disc). I have one that I use for those purposes (I still use my G4 iBook for anything more heady) and it's a great little machine, I'm actually using it right now as I run diagnostics on my main compy...
Depends on the netbook. I benchmarked my 1.5GHz 12" Powerbook against a co-worker's Asus Eee PC and they scored about equal. Powerbook actually edged it out and the Asus had almost double the RAM and an Atom CPU.
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc2=454696

iBookG4user
Oct 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, the G4 should be sufficient for your needs. It'll be a bit slow in this day and age but certainly useable. And I'm actually typing this right now on a Mac Mini G4 :)

barny
Oct 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Again for the Advice...to be honest I've never had a computer that runs flash smoothly so it shouldn't be much of a problem. How would a good spec 17" PowerBook G4 cope?

farmermac
Oct 26, 2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks Again for the Advice...to be honest I've never had a computer that runs flash smoothly so it shouldn't be much of a problem. How would a good spec 17" PowerBook G4 cope?

Few days ago I picked up a 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz 1.25gb ram. Compared to my i5 mbp of course it's a dog but I am growing very fond of it. It runs leopard very well for everyday tasks but I may take it back down to tiger. Great computer and I agree - the PowerBooks look fantastic.

barny
Oct 26, 2010, 05:20 AM
Ok thanks, what size screen would people recommend getting? Personally i dont really like the 12" because the keyboard goes to the edge and i think this makes it look not as good. I prefer the 15 and 17 inch models with the aluminium bit around the keyboard. Im also not sure what kind of price the individual models cost. Originally i assume the 12" were cheapest and 17" cost the most but now as they are old im not sure as there seems to be more demand for the 12" version.

Barny:apple:

bobbytomorow
Oct 26, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ok thanks, what size screen would people recommend getting? Personally i dont really like the 12" because the keyboard goes to the edge and i think this makes it look not as good. I prefer the 15 and 17 inch models with the aluminium bit around the keyboard. Im also not sure what kind of price the individual models cost. Originally i assume the 12" were cheapest and 17" cost the most but now as they are old im not sure as there seems to be more demand for the 12" version.

Barny:apple:

imo the 12" are the sexiest G4 Powerbooks (possibly the sexiest Apple laptop ever, period)

I value mobility and 12" is pretty freaking mobile, while still managing to retain the power of their bigger brothers (unlike todays 13" MBP's which are just rebadged Macbooks)

BittenApple
Oct 26, 2010, 12:31 PM
You can probably get a nice deal on some of the early generation MBP's along the PB G4's price range.

XaPHER
Oct 26, 2010, 04:23 PM
I think it is a good idea to go for a PBG4 because they are not that slow. I am using a clamshell ibook(firewire) at 466mhz and this one can watch movies on youtube. even if it is a little slow, sometimes there is an 264p option and it perfectly plays. I am posting using this one

666sheep
Oct 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
Ok thanks, what size screen would people recommend getting?

It depends on your needs/preferences.
Some resolution info that might be helpful:

12.1" 1024 x 768
15.2" 1280 x 854
15.2" HiRes 1440 x 960
17" 1440 x 900
17" HiRes 1650 x 1080

All except 12.1" are widescreen.

barny
Oct 26, 2010, 05:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks guys again. Very good info about screen resolutions, thanks.

Barny

longwood
Nov 3, 2010, 01:37 PM
PowerBooks are great for mail and internet. I have an iMac G4 and a PowerBook and they both run great. I recently picked up the PowerBook (15") for $250, which I thought was a killer deal. I have a 13" MacBook and the extra real estate of the 15" is really nice. I was thinking about getting a 17", but opted for the 15".