PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in windows..

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hey. I used bootcamp earlier today, followed the instructions that told me to inset the windows 7 CD, and then click Ok. I did that, then my computer restarted and started installing it. When it was finished, it opened windows. I can't get back to mac now for some reason, and on the windows disc there is only 16 GB's (Almost nothing left now cause I installed windows 7) so that means I did install windows on the right disc.
Question is, how can I get back to mac? I've tried restarting several times.
Help!

(Sorry for my bad english)

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 07:09 AM
Question is, how can I get back to mac? I've tried restarting several times.

Hold the Alt/Option key down during boot. THis will bring up a boot selector.

You can change the default OS to boot from System Preferences -> Startup Disk or Control Panel -> Boot Camp.

B

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 07:23 AM
Nothing happens... When I restart it just starts windows, like a normal PC would do...

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 07:28 AM
Nothing happens... When I restart it just starts windows, like a normal PC would do...

Which Mac and keyboard do you have. Some combinations don't work. If you have a corded mouse or Apple Remote, you can also use those to get back to OS X.

Have you installed the Boot Camp drivers from your Mac OS X install disc as directed to in the instructions?

Do you see the Boot Camp icon in Control Panel? Select Startup Disk? Do you see your Mac OS X as an option?

B

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 07:31 AM
Not at all..

Can't install, theres no more space left on the windows.
I don't see mac as an option.

I use a macbook osx 10.6

Note:

Can't install the bootcamp drivers.. A messege pops up that says that windows can't use that.

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 07:36 AM
Not at all..

Can't install, theres no more space left on the windows.
I don't see mac as an option.

I use a macbook osx 10.6

And you are using the internal keyboard I presume? Which Macbook model or year in which you bought it?

Boot from your OS X install CD and run Disk Utility from there. http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810 Let's make sure that OS X is still safe.

Do you have a backup of everything important? Do you have an external USB hard drive handy?

I have a hard time believing that Windows let you install to a partition where you don't even have enough space to install the Boot Camp drivers.

B

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 07:39 AM
I think its from 2008.

So you want me to restart my computer, and press C and then what?

Everything VERY important is on the internet, different websites, USB sticks etc.

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 08:10 AM
So you want me to restart my computer, and press C and then what?

Run Disk Utility as in the link I provided and go to the Partition tab. Take a screenshot if possible and report back.

B

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 08:22 AM
Cant run anything on windows...

Also, disk utility is not on my OSX installation disk.

I use OSX 10.6 in case you didn't know.

spinnerlys
Oct 25, 2010, 08:24 AM
Cant run anything on windows...

Also, disk utility is not on my OSX installation disk.

I use OSX 10.6 in case you didn't know.

Disk Utility IS on the DVD, either be it the grey Restore DVD or the white/coloured Retail DVD.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD. (http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810)

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 09:02 AM
Disk Utility IS on the DVD, either be it the grey Restore DVD or the white/coloured Retail DVD.

Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD. (http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3810)

Funny, that link is eerily familiar. ;)

B

domanyi
Oct 25, 2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Works great now ;)

balamw
Oct 25, 2010, 09:46 AM
I love threads like this where I end up having no idea what was actually wrong in the first place, what fixed it, and am left with an uneasy feeling the real issues was simply PEBCAK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_error).

B