Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've reported a couple of times over the past few days about the imminent opening of Apple's North Carolina data center and rumors that the company is already considering doubling the size of the facility.

115811-apple_data_center_two_buildings_500.jpg

All Things Digital has continued digging into the story and discovered a photo posted to the official Flickr page of Catawba County, North Carolina showing a schematic of the facility containing two buildings instead of the single building that exists today. The image, which dates from July 2009, suggests that Apple has intended to double the size of the existing facility all along, rather than the decision being a recent one.

The discovery also raises the question of the size of the current facility. Public disclosures regarding the facility have always referred to it as a 500,000 square-foot project with a price tag on the order of $1 billion. Consequently, rumors of a doubling of the data center's size assumed that that would bring the facility to a total of one million square feet. It seems possible, however, that the publicized figures in fact referred to the total project with both buildings completed, and thus the current building set to begin operation may only be 250,000 square feet.

Article Link: New Evidence of Apple's Plans for a Second Data Center Building at NC Site

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i'm shocked

common sense suggests that you build both buildings and only flick the on switch when both are complete and ready to go

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
That 'total' 500k square feet does sound a little more reasonable. Who knows. Regardless it seems like Apple is expanding and that is a good thing to see in this economy!

Becordial

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Why doesn't someone go and look at it and see what the size is? There's people here on Macrumors that said they live in the area and could explain how ready and how big this thing is.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
And still no idea as to what all this is for right?

once it goes live it will be easy to figure out. just have a router log all traffic, use your iCrap device and see where the IP's go.

if i had to guess, it's for iAd's. with all the growth in iCrap devices you need a lot of computing power to serve the ads and run the analytics

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Shouldn't they build them in two separate locations in case of a natural disaster or giant monster (e.g. Godzilla or Rodan) disrupting operations?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
"The image, which dates from July 2009, suggests that Apple has intended to double the size of the existing facility all along, rather than the decision being a recent one."

If that photo is in fact from 2009, then apple never intended to double anything. It's just part of the main plan, obviously so that some of the site can become operational while still being built...

ichaddy

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
South of England
Looks like the site boundaries is big enough for a third building of equal size too - depending on how many "revolutionary" MobileMe services the sell :D

appletowns

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
Okay, my question is... why didn't they just construct a taller building with more floors and save some trees and space? Seems a bit of a waste to me...

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
That's awfully big for your typical MobileMe like service.

I suspect more and more that Apple is planning on bundling some major cloud based service with it's mobile devices. On a desktop, you have the luxury of large amounts of local storage, unlimited electricity (to power your 16 core rig) for computations, etc. On mobile devices theses things are limited. Apple could really be poised to raise the bar here.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
i'm shocked

common sense suggests that you build both buildings and only flick the on switch when both are complete and ready to go
Nah, if you don't need the excess capacity immediately, why erect the second building? They'd be paying for something they're not using.

Even if they have 50 billion in cash, they still have an obligation to use their money wisely.

jdwhit

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
Just Google Earth it

If anyone knows where this facility is, they can pull it up on Google Earth and use the "Tape" tool set on "feet" to measure the length and width then multiply the two to get a general idea of the square feet of the building.
I would do it for everyone, but I don't know the location.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
The construction that has been noted in recent reports is nothing more than them clearing away the temporary construction office and parking area. The pictures clearly indicate that they removed all of the jobsite offices and not simply moved them. So while they may have planned for two buildings, they are only building one right now.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Talk, talk, talk, talk.

The overhead pictures of the new building are great but until it means something I don't care. Apple is industry leading in everything except the cloud. Wake me up when:

- All iOS do full backups to the cloud, everything, no computer needed.
- Your iTunes movies and music stream to your OS X or iOS device anywhere from the cloud.
- iOS gains a true filesystem, one set in the cloud.
- OS X Lion has connections directly to the cloud throughout.

When? How much longer do we wait, I pay $99 a year for MobileMe and it scratches the surface of what Google Android devices can do out of the box for free. When does Apple leapfrog them, when?

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
Next thing you know emperor Steve will tell us . . . that despite its half-baked appearance the Death Star is fully armed and operational.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I think the second building is the Time Capsule backup for the first building

I thought it was recommended that your Time Machine volume be twice as large as your data storage. They need to get started on the 2nd and 3rd building.

GL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.