Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyleo17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Hello, I am trying to set up os x snowleopard server to run filesharing for a handful of macs and pc's.

I am attempting to setup dns to run locally, and thought I had it (third try) this time, but I am not so sure. I am able to ping the fqdn, and get a response, but I am not sure if this truly means anything. Here is what I have so far in the server admin > dns

primary dns name: srcc01.com (not registered)
computer name: sonrise01 (static ip: 192.168.10.230)

primary dns zone name: srcc01.com

Nameservers: Zone - srcc01.com.
Nameserver hostname - 192.168.10.230

Machine name: sonrise01.srcc01.com. (ip address: 192.168.10.230)

Under settings in the dns pane i have the forwarder ip address entered (4.2.2.2 provided from my router), and the only thing in recursive queries pane is "localnets"

Is this enough info to determine if I have dns setup correctly? How can I test that i have it setup other than pinging the fqdn (not sure if that even proves anything)?

I tried to join a pc to the domain srcc.com and it said a domain controller could not be found...

Any advice is appreciated, thank you

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Hello, I am trying to set up os x snowleopard server to run filesharing for a handful of macs and pc's.

I am attempting to setup dns to run locally, and thought I had it (third try) this time, but I am not so sure. I am able to ping the fqdn, and get a response, but I am not sure if this truly means anything. Here is what I have so far in the server admin > dns

primary dns name: srcc01.com (not registered)
computer name: sonrise01 (static ip: 192.168.10.230)

primary dns zone name: srcc01.com

Nameservers: Zone - srcc01.com.
Nameserver hostname - 192.168.10.230

Machine name: sonrise01.srcc01.com. (ip address: 192.168.10.230)

Under settings in the dns pane i have the forwarder ip address entered (4.2.2.2 provided from my router), and the only thing in recursive queries pane is "localnets"

Is this enough info to determine if I have dns setup correctly? How can I test that i have it setup other than pinging the fqdn (not sure if that even proves anything)?

I tried to join a pc to the domain srcc.com and it said a domain controller could not be found...

Any advice is appreciated, thank you

Quickest thing to do is go to terminal.app and type the following

sudo changeip -checkhostname

This will ask for your password - enter it and press enter

This will check to make sure all your DNS settings are correct and working

EDIT: and you can't add a PC to that domain - you can only access the SMB shares. For your PC to connect to the domain you would need to be running Active Directory on a Windows Server

kyleo17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
thank you for the reply, i was actually just on the phone with applecare and they gave me that terminal command, the hostname and the dns name did not match, so i did not set it up correctly, resinstalling the os currently, and trying again (this time with applecare on the phone during initial setup), thanks again

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
thank you for the reply, i was actually just on the phone with applecare and they gave me that terminal command, the hostname and the dns name did not match, so i did not set it up correctly, resinstalling the os currently, and trying again (this time with applecare on the phone during initial setup), thanks again

What DNS is your server configured to use? In your environment, you'll need to be sure to set your network preferences to point to its own DNS server otherwise changeip will never show the correct information.

kyleo17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
What DNS is your server configured to use? In your environment, you'll need to be sure to set your network preferences to point to its own DNS server otherwise changeip will never show the correct information.

the loopback ip, 127.0.0.1 (its own dns server but i read not to use the actual ip)

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
I strongly suggest checking out the YouTube videos that Lynda has posted on setting up SL Server. I watched each video and it got me setup without a problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.