Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I am wondering what the main differences between an EyeTv usb and the EyeTv 400 is. I know that the 400 has firewire input. My main concern is what the tv pictures would look like on a 20 inch Cinema Display. Do the images make use of all the pixels on the screen? There is a big price difference between the two models so I want to see the advantage of one over the other.

If anyone has one could they post some pics of the setup running?

aussie_geek

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
My USB EyeTV is temporarily out of service as I reroute cable in my office, so I can't post a pic, but I can say that the video quality is just fine for viewing in a window - really, not bad at all for a USB 1.1 connection - but looks pretty shoddy full-screen on a 20".

The Firewire version undoubtedly looks better, but the disk space used by it as it records is substantially larger.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
I'd say it is foolish to buy a USB version when FW versions are available .. both for live viewing and archival recording the quality of the FW version is just so much crisper and clearer ..

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
The EyeTV USB is for analog TV, the 400 is for DVB-T digital TV. I have the EyeTV 400 here it's a great product, picture quality is fantastic, and the software that comes with it is very powerfull yet easy to use. If all you want is a DVB-T tuner the EyeTV 400 is fantastic. Get yourself an EyeHome as well and you've got a great media centre.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
basically, eyeTV USB is mpeg1 and all others (i believe) are mpeg2.

mpeg1 is slightly worse than video tape.

mpeg2 is DVD quality.

you decide which one will suit your needs...

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Mertzen said:
I'd say it is foolish to buy a USB version when FW versions are available .. both for live viewing and archival recording the quality of the FW version is just so much crisper and clearer ..

I got a USB one for $80 which is much more value than $300+ for the FW version .... I mean if you have the cash for the FW version certinaley consider it but also consider the quality of your source.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Thanks for the replies people.

I think I will be leaning towards the EyeTv 400. Free to air digital TV has only been in Australia for a couple of years and is obviously the way of the future. I wouldn't want to buy the USB one and be caught out when it comes to watching all of the digital HD movies in the future.

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.