Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acb2m

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
I just ordered the MBA and windows 7. Theres some (but not a lot) of somewhat intensive programs I need to run in windows for school. Is there any noticeable difference between loading windows in bootcamp or virtualbox? My thinking is bootcamp would allocate more of the computers resources to windows. Am I wrong about this and theres no major difference?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
When you run bootcamp, your computer boots directly into Windows; OSx is not running at all. Bootcamp is better for games as entire computer resources are available to windows and games will be faster.

Virtual box runs under OSx and is just a virtual machine.

It depends on what you want to run from windows. If it's games bootcamp is better.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Theres some (but not a lot) of somewhat intensive programs I need to run in windows for school.

Define intensive.

IMHO the MBAs biggest issue for anything intensive is the 2GB RAM standard. I'd definitely get it with 4 GB if possible.

B

acb2m

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks I went with the full upgraded MBA. I need windows to take practical exams where I'm opening lost of programs to view slides, and to run SAS for my biostat course which taxes my 2006 MBP a little.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
With no virtualisation solution you would find 2GB RAM sufficient. Under Parallels, Windows uses 1GB, I think. The other half is not a lot for anything. 4GB with the new Airs is essential.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.