Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McFarlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I am just getting started in full-fledged web design. And I am looking to design a small e-commerce site (5 products) with scalability (future of 30 products) for a client. This is not my first in web design, but it is my first e-commerce client. I am not a web developer, so I am looking for a designer friendly solution.

I am looking for a combination of tools that incorporates the following:
- solid web design software (dreamweaver, rapid weaver, iweb, etc.)
- cms (cushy, silverstripe, etc, magento, drupal only if necessary, just no joomla)
- e-commerce (either incorporated into the cms such as magento or verb, html snippets, etc)

I know there are many combinations. And right now, I am thinking that I will design in whatever software I want to, and just stick to a simple cms (like cushy) and use html snippets (google checkout or paypal). The only problem is that my costumer would have to come back to me to add pages later. I don't mind the extra $, but at some point thatll be a little too time consuming.

My other thought is to use verb cms, which is both designer friendly and incorporates e-commerce. However with all of the open source and free CMS resources out there, I am sort of hesitant with that monthly fee.

For anyone with an iWeb solution, I am also not anti-iWeb, I have used iWeb with much success on my personal website:
http://jaimiemcfarlin.com

Thanks for the help!

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Most any of them will work for ya that you mentioned, I'd stay away from Drupal as developer basics help a great deal and it can seem complex to a novice. Even WordPress has e-Commerce widgets and should be on your list of easy to use open source CMS with an e-Commerce add-on.

What follows is advice "out of the box". I don't know if your client would go for this, but you made clear to us that you're not a developer, rather and designer, and you actually don't mind if the client in the future adds their own content or store items, and that it's somewhat scalable. So I'm going to suggest a different path to consider:

http://getshopped.com/

This is a web based GUI that allows anyone to setup a simple CMS with an E-Commerce focus, remotely hosted, remotely managed and accessed via browser. It allows you to customize or create a theme, which you do best, and use their tools to build the site components (without direct development) for your client to manage their store in the future.

Please read the page I linked fully before responding. If this is not for your client and you want more control (and money) than this, I fully understand and simply decline my advice. Then again, it might be something worth looking into considering your requirements and skills as listed here.

-jim

FareThoughts

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Jim,

I'm in a similar boat, and I'm curious if you've used Get Shopped. I cannot find anything on their site about fees and such. So, that leaves me a little doubtful.

Also, is GetShopped.com the same as GetShopped.org? The design would say they're related, but the .com one you mentioned seems out of date.

Thanks,

Stanford

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.