Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Here is my MBA 13 1.8, 2gb, 128 Off the Shelf. Your MBA cost $100 more than mine :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-26 at 8.46.51 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-26 at 8.46.51 AM.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 185

plesset

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Its wakes almost instantly like I have seen on the other models. I will let you know when I run the battery down.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I thought the 11/1.6/4GB was the way to go....now I'm not so sure.

So did I but I am happy. I love the MBA 11 and think its going to change the world of computing. But the 13 base is the best value for the money right now.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
I thought the 11/1.6/4GB was the way to go....now I'm not so sure.

You have to evaulate what your needs are. Speed vs ram vs screen size vs portability vs price. :)

For me, I care less about speed so I don't need 2.13ghz to type a spreadsheet. I opted for a better ram because I will be doing virtualization.

plesset

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
You have to evaulate what your needs are. Speed vs ram vs screen size vs portability vs price. :)

For me, I care less about speed so I don't need 2.13ghz to type a spreadsheet. I opted for a better ram because I will be doing virtualization.

I agree. Its hard to make the argument about speed vs price when it comes to the 11. For most users its about portability with the 11. I would gladly pay a small premium for the savings in size and weight on the 11.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
falconeight your making this difficult,
was on the way to the Apple Store to get an 11 !

Your 13" value statement is clear given the benchmark posted
and the sd slot, extra battery life etc,
but the footprint overall size of the 11 just seems perfect for the light laptop.

Guess I'll have to see and decide :)

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010

but the footprint overall size of the 11 just seems perfect for the light laptop.

Its all choice I don't think the speed difference is enough to warrant not getting the size you would like. My MBA 13 fits inside my school notebook and I don't even notice it. If the bas 11 came with a bigger hard drive I would of bought that one. for my needs the 64gb HD is to small. I like the form factor of the 11 better and its performance is awesome for the size.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008

Saw them at BB today, I can see how the size of the 11.6 is worth the premium. When I compare the 13 MBA to the 13 MBP I really don't see the value. My laptop spends more doing work sitting on a desk than traveling, so would I really notice the weight? Let alone after everything else I like to cram in that bag.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Please lets not get into this argument! If we were to disregard size of machine then the MBP 13 has a geekbench of 3358, and I might add is £100 cheaper than your air. :) indeed.

And it has a bl keyboard!

Its not the same line of mac. Its heavy and the base model has an optical hard drive and that is a big difference, and yesterdays technology. Put a 128GB Solid state drive in the macpro then look at the cost. Backlit keyboard is for monkeys and people who haven't learned that the screen actually lights up the keyboard.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Its not the same line of mac. Its heavy and the base model has an optical hard drive and that is a big difference, and yesterdays technology. Put a 128GB Solid state drive in the macpro then look at the cost.

optical hard drive = yesterday's technology? What year is it in your part of the world? :)

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Its not the same line of mac. Its heavy and the base model has an optical hard drive and that is a big difference, and yesterdays technology. Put a 128GB Solid state drive in the macpro then look at the cost. Backlit keyboard is for monkeys and people who haven't learned that the screen actually lights up the keyboard.

You are completely missing the point. The point is, you can't compare price to performance because the value of the 11" isn't in its performance. The other poster was pointing out that the MBP is faster and cheaper, yet you still got the MBA.

The 13" is 22% faster but 27% heavier with a much bigger foot print (bigger than the 13" MBP, in fact).

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
You are completely missing the point. The point is, you can't compare price to performance because the value of the 11" isn't in its performance. The other poster was pointing out that the MBP is faster and cheaper, yet you still got the MBA.

The 13" is 22% faster but 27% heavier with a much bigger foot print (bigger than the 13" MBP, in fact).

But its not faster its slower only if you up the specs and that makes it more expensive and its still bigger and heavier.
http://www.macworld.com/article/154596/2010/10/macbookair_benchmarks.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.