Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
eWeek reports that a Motorola executive previewed an upcoming mobile phone that plays iTunes Store music.

Apple and Motorola had previously announced that Motorola would be brining iTunes support to upcoming devices, with recent rumors describing the product.

According to eWeek, the new device syncs to iTunes like the iPod and incorporates a similar interface. The phone is expected in the first half of 2005.

pic courtesy of engadget

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
that's hopefully my next phone! with this and an iPod flash apple covers the whole range:

phone - 128, 256 MB
flash - 1, 2 gb
mini - 5 gb?
iPod - 20, 40 GB
photo - 40, 60 GB

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
ha! I saw this last night on macbytes and was wondering why it wasn't on MR, when i saw it had been posted 5 min ago..

Im not too sure about what i think about 3rd party phones having the itms.. it seems kinda odd

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
If they make one compatible with Sprint services, I might have to accidently lose my current phone and see if I can get my boss to buy me a new one ;)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
ebally said:
Someone must have an idea as to what this phone looks like? Is it a flip phone, what colour is it, etc?

prob be a new range like iMoto , flip digital cam 256mb with SD Slot

spikeovsky

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Beijing
The MOSR people are saying that the phone is not as exciting as it sounds. I think the word they've used is "underwhelming". But then, I'm rather "underwhelmed" at MOSR's update schedule. They say the next update is on Friday - my money's on Sunday night. Sad to see - used to by my favourite rumours site.

I hope that the demo given was what made it look underwhelming. If Steve demos the same phone, I bet underwhelming will not be the word on everyone's lips.

Underwhelming is a strange word if you look at it too long. Or repeat it too often.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Although I like the idea, I don't think I'll be getting one.
I've had my current phone with Sprint for over 4 years.
I know, I know, most people change phones every 6 mos. or so.

Anyway, I don't need a phone that takes pictures, videos and such and plays iTunes.

But, I like the concept. Anything that promotes the Apple difference, I'm for it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
maybe this is it ?

Global roaming via support of WCDMA and tri-band GSM/GPRS

• 3G technology for broadband-like speed

• Integrated VGA digital camera with 4x zoom / CIF digital camera for P2P

• 2-Way video conferencing

• Embedded digital imaging enhancing application

• Streaming audio and video capture, download and playback

• Multi-Media Messaging Service (MMS) for sharing video clips and photos

• E-mail (POP3,IMAP4, SMTP) access and IM with presence

• 2MB built-in memory and up to 256MB additional capacity via removable TransFlash external memory.

• Supports MPEG4, WMV, WMA, MP3, AAC, MIDI and XMF multi-media files

• Built-in speakerphone and voice recognition feature

• Synchronization (Over The Air (SyncML) and Desktop)

• Enhanced WAP 2.0 Internet browser

• Java™ MIDP 2.0 for easy download of games, musical ringtones, graphics and more

• 16mm polyphonic speaker (24 voice polyphony, 16 channels)

• Lighting solution (LED lamp) located on outer flip

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
What if they put it into the next Razor phone? But it would definitely have to have a memory expansion slot, with at least a card that can get a gig. The phone would be just as good as the iPod Flash then. Sweet! :D

sluthy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2002
Bundaberg, Qld. Australia
This is iPhone?

So instead of an Apple-branded Motorola-made iPhone, maybe the whole collaboration was for a Motorola "iTunes-ready" phone. So no iPhone - oh well, probably for the best. One rumor down, one less disapointment after MWSF :) . Hopefully I can try to dumb down everyone's expectations and spirits so we all can actually have a happy time watching the keynote :D .

zigziggityzoo

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
powermac666 said:
Based on this article , the interface is very similar to the iPod's. I'm hoping for a slider.

If it works on Verizon, my LG might get lost and need replacing :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be cool if it was a slider phone and when it slid open it revealed a click wheel? :rolleyes: that would be awesome on a phone...

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
zigziggityzoo said:
Wouldn't it be cool if it was a slider phone and when it slid open it revealed a click wheel? :rolleyes: that would be awesome on a phone...
apple has the click wheel patented i think..

but if it was made by motorola, was really well designed, looked like an apple product, and was apple branded, that would be the best move for apple. everyone knows about the itms, but a lot less know about how great apple is. A phone like that could only help them.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
ASP272 said:
What if they put it into the next Razor phone? But it would definitely have to have a memory expansion slot, with at least a card that can get a gig. The phone would be just as good as the iPod Flash then. Sweet! :D

If they did this, I would buy it in a heartbeat! I love the RAZR phone, but i held off buying it because of waiting for the iPhone announcement.

the razr is such an apple-like phone - goes hand in hand with a cool pb :D

/asif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.