Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mesca

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Milan
I would like to give you my first impression about the laptop.
First the specs: 13'', 1,8Ghz ,128 GB, 2GB. I have tried several softwares; i would like to provide you a short description of mine experience.

1. Football Manager 2010/('11's Demo) - I ran its setup via "remote dvd" and either by the "dmg image", with the first version ( 10.0.0 ) the game wouldn't like to start. I solved via 10.0.3 update. About the perfomance i could tell in total honesty that it works fine. Although the two ram's gigabyte i am managed to add five championships with large db option. Obviously the "Activity Manager" has indicated few free ram's mb. I think with 4 GB it could be run better.
  2. Microsoft Office 2011 - Words and Powerpoint run fine, the start was immediate, and no errors encountered. I noticed a little bug with image embedding: if you add to the document a heavy image ( 2mb or more ) , go to "Format Picture" and then try to adjust "Brightness, contrast and cousins too.." it could be take a while.
  3. iPhoto 2011 - editing photo was good, adjusting settings came in real-time.But i have experimented with a 720p's mine video, some freezing points. All it works via Quicktime and same video.
  4. iMovie 2011 - I tried to do a new project from 1080p Full HR videos and it worked but also the exporting takes over 30 minute ( Quicktime export mode).
  5. Plex, VLC and 1080p & 720p - Works fine.

mesca

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Milan
whats about battery duration?

Good question to discuss about. The reply is: depends. Indeed is the specific application to influence the charge. For example: safari + macrumors.com the icon indicates 6.22 hours remaining for 68%, while with a Steam's download queue decrease to 3 hours. The same happens with Youtube.

mesca

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Milan
Right now, i started my empiric test about charge duration. I am following the same settings of the Apple's battery test.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
[*]Microsoft Office 2011 - Words and Powerpoint run fine, the start was immediate, and no errors encountered. I noticed a little bug with image embedding: if you add to the document a heavy image ( 2mb or more ) , go to "Format Picture" and then try to adjust "Brightness, contrast and cousins too.." it could be take a while.

sounds like this is more about the app itself and not about your machine.

[*]iPhoto 2011 - editing photo was good, adjusting settings came in real-time.But i have experimented with a 720p's mine video, some freezing points. All it works via Quicktime and same video.

So it works in QT and not elsewhere? I'm confused by the statement.

[*]iMovie 2011 - I tried to do a new project from 1080p Full HR videos and it worked but also the exporting takes over 30 minute ( Quicktime export mode).
More ram would help.

mesca

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
Milan
sounds like this is more about the app itself and not about your machine.

yes, it could be. probably is due by Microsoft.

So it works in QT and not elsewhere? I'm confused by the statement.

It works better in QT than iPhoto.

More ram would help.

From the "Resource Manager" the problem appears to be like a cpu's matter. My thought is that the ram is quite enough to single application at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.