PDA

View Full Version : Will Lion kill off the scroll bars all together?

mrsir2009
Oct 26, 2010, 01:02 PM
Will Lion kill off those aqua blue scroll bars all together? Because every Mac new Mac can have multittouch now. All the laptops have it built in, and the desktops have a choice of either the magic mouse, the magic trackpad or another vendor's mouse that has scrolling.

Personally, I think displaying the scroll bars should be able to be turned off and on. If there were an option like that, I'd turn them off because I pretty much NEVER use them ;)

Princess Cake
Oct 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Lion is gonna use those thin black ones from iOS, but they only appear when your cursor is over or near them.

sheepopo39
Oct 27, 2010, 04:39 PM
I don't mind that they'll be using the iOS scroll bars, it goes along with the minimalism. It is however kinda sad that they are starting to do away with some of the aqua stuff.

mrsir2009
Oct 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't mind that they'll be using the iOS scroll bars, it goes along with the minimalism. It is however kinda sad that they are starting to do away with some of the aqua stuff.

Yes, I think they should do what they did in Mac OS9, where you could choose different themes. There should be an aqua theme still there for the people who want it, and an iOS sorta theme like they have now. It would also open up a lot of doors for other themes too :D Such as custom made ones as well as themes created by apple.

Simplicated
Nov 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
Lion is gonna use those thin black ones from iOS, but they only appear when your cursor is over or near them.

Please make the scrollbar appear when I mouse over there. Sometimes I need to scroll through a really long document and swiping on my Magic Mouse would be one tiring job to do.

LS1
Nov 18, 2010, 10:00 PM
The scroll bar helps you see where you are in the document. That can be helpful, especially in long documents. I don't think they would get rid of them.

MikhailT
Nov 18, 2010, 10:04 PM
The scroll bar helps you see where you are in the document. That can be helpful, especially in long documents. I don't think they would get rid of them.

Itís not going to be gone completely, you can mouse over to the edges and the scroll bars will appear. You know how if you hover over a link, a pop up appears showing the URL in the browser? It is somewhat like that.

karsten
Nov 19, 2010, 12:14 AM
i'm excited for the new scrollbars, they look very modern. is there a theme you can apply now to get that effect somehow?

Saturdays
Nov 19, 2010, 06:19 PM
I can live with no scroll bars, or at least a scroll bar that is transparent and only appears when u move mouse over it in its area. This way i can see more browser and less scrollbar. (those 10 pixels are worth it!)

Edit:
On Chrome I downloaded this extension: Stylish (https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe)
then used this style code:
body::-webkit-scrollbar {
width: 0;
height: 0;
}

Now I have no scroll bars on pages i visit, unless its within the webpage.

I'm sure there are extensions similar to this on Safari 5 that will allow you to use CSS style codes to hide the scrollbars.

pacmania1982
Feb 9, 2011, 02:55 AM

How can you be so sure? Look at the screenshot attached. Its probably just a screenshot of the App Store running on Snow Leopard Photoshopped onto a Lion background

http://images.apple.com/macosx/lion/images/lion_app_store20110106.png

Who knows until it actually ships

pac

Cougarcat
Feb 9, 2011, 03:49 AM
How can you be so sure? Look at the screenshot attached. Its probably just a screenshot of the App Store running on Snow Leopard Photoshopped onto a Lion background

http://images.apple.com/macosx/lion/images/lion_app_store20110106.png

Who knows until it actually ships

pac

If you watch the lion preview really closely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APYWEWcNKmU), you can see it, good shot at :45. The window even does the little bouncy "rubber band" effect if you scroll up too far. (@1:52)

That said, I think the iOS scrollbar will simply be an additional style. For large documents you need to be able to click in the scrollbar to jump to that place. Maybe they will use the iOS style for places where it makes sense (i.e smaller one-window apps like the app store) and document-based apps will retain the old style (hopefully with an iLife '11 look). If you look at the preview closely, you can see that the scrollbar is gone in Safari (and iPhoto, I think) but is retained in iTunes and Pages.