Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I am really impressed by new 11.6" MBA's stunning appearance and its flash( or you can call SSD )drive, which I believe should be extrodinary fast in processing daily tasks such as email and internet! Moreover, MBA's portability really makes it an excellent mobile device to take away, you can bring it anywhere you like :)

But I've got an 15.6" MBP and 16GB Ipad Wifi, and now, these two products seem to satisfy all my needs. I don't do photo and vedio editing, nor do I run heavy software, I don't even play computer games; but I do sometimes use matlab and some professional math software, and I use microsoft office quite frequently. My MBP is way to much capible of handling such "easy projects", and I think the i 5 processor is a waste for mw :(
Whenever I would like to play games and surf the Internet in bed, I would grab my ipad...

So is there any point I get new MBA? $999 is not a small money for me as a College Student, I have to work more than 2 months to get one!

Bulldog3777

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Need MBA

Need it? No. Want it? Yes. I have a 21.5 Imac, 64 gig 3G Ipad and a 13 inch MBP. I certainly do not need one, according to my wife, but I want one. I am old and retired so money is not the biggest problem for me, it is the wife. I will probably sell the 2010 MBP to make life easier at home. (I have a 11.6 waiting for me in Charlotte, NC at my son's house. We are visiting this weekend.)

lespaul85

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
My personal advice is no. I too have a MBP (17" though), and a 32 gig ipad 3g. The 11.6 MBA I just got is great for where I can find wi-fi and does a good deal more tasks than the ipad, but the ipad has it for the 3g general web surfing from anywhere. To me, it was worth getting the MBA, but I had the money, personal want, and a few practical uses to justify it. If I had any question about money or use, there's no way I would have got it because want alone is not worth it.

Personally though I now wish I had my old 27" imac instead of my 17" MBP because the 17" MBP is never going to be moved from my desk any more.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Need it? No. Want it? Yes. I have a 21.5 Imac, 64 gig 3G Ipad and a 13 inch MBP. I certainly do not need one, according to my wife, but I want one. I am old and retired so money is not the biggest problem for me, it is the wife. I will probably sell the 2010 MBP to make life easier at home. (I have a 11.6 waiting for me in Charlotte, NC at my son's house. We are visiting this weekend.)

It's small enough to hide ;)

montblanc1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for the advice!

I would probably wait until next summer, when the students promotion come!

Buy an air, get a free ipod touch~ That'll be a long time

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
People complain about the lack of 3G but most people that have a mac have an iPhone I would assume. I use the Bluetooth tethering and it works great when I do not have wifi. I had an iPad and sold it. I prefer a full fledged computer/KB

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
I would rather have a mbp + a macbook air than an ipad. There's just too much more that the 11.6" can do over an ipad.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I'm right there with you OP.

Decided to pick up the 11" and sell my 13" MBP. That will leave me with a hex-core Mac pro for gaming and heavy video work, an 11" Air for mobile computing, and the iPad for my daily work presentation tool (I'm in sales) and customer contact dbase device. Throw in the iPhone 4 and I've got a Mac for all occasions :)

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
15 inch and bigger laptops are so early 2000's :D
honestly, isn't it strange when you see someone with a 15.6" or even a 17" laptop at a coffee shop or restaurant? they just look huge! i did the 15" laptop gig for a few years for work and it sucked. had to haul it all over the country with me on flights too.

ah, innovation. isn't it great?

Tankfantry

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Houston, Texas
it's all up to you but I have noticed that the people who create threads like this only want us to talk them out of it, lol. Well I'm not going to play your game.

BUY THE MACBOOK AIR!!!!! You deserve it. You work hard and get stuck in traffic so swipe that credit card and feel the sweet release.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I am really impressed by new 11.6" MBA's stunning appearance and its flash( or you can call SSD )drive, which I believe should be extrodinary fast in processing daily tasks such as email and internet! Moreover, MBA's portability really makes it an excellent mobile device to take away, you can bring it anywhere you like :)

But I've got an 15.6" MBP and 16GB Ipad Wifi, and now, these two products seem to satisfy all my needs. I don't do photo and vedio editing, nor do I run heavy software, I don't even play computer games; but I do sometimes use matlab and some professional math software, and I use microsoft office quite frequently. My MBP is way to much capible of handling such "easy projects", and I think the i 5 processor is a waste for mw :(
Whenever I would like to play games and surf the Internet in bed, I would grab my ipad...

So is there any point I get new MBA? $999 is not a small money for me as a College Student, I have to work more than 2 months to get one!

In other words there is absolutely no reason for you to buy it.

What reasons did you give in favour:
(1) stunning appearance! (sure, you can look at it all day if you buy it)
(2) its flash drive, which you believe "should be extrodinary fast in processing daily tasks such as email and internet!" (are you in marketing? If your MBP can't handle e-mail and Internet yeah, you need a new computer)
(3) 'portability, to take it anywhere you like'. Having trouble carrying the MBP or iPad around?

Reasons against:
(1) "these two products seem to satisfy all my needs"
(2) two months of work to buy something you don't need and won't even be that enjoyable, given what you already have.

If there was ever a bigger example of wasting money, I'd like to see it.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area

Go Bulldog!

I like your reasoning...go for it!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It can replace them both. Sell them, buy the Air. Pocket the extra cash. Winner.

This is what I am doing...because I really need to get back to my desktop for photo editing.

My thought is get the cheap base model 11, it will be here tomorrow but now I am second guessing that choice. I've been just fine using my iPad (16/wifi)most of the time instead of the mbp..until I have to enter a lot of text such as this....

I dunno, these days I try not to overbuy...sorry for the thread hijack, I agree with the quoted statement..then jailbreak your phone and tether the 13 or get a mifi for less than the AT&T data plan.

TheAllStar

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
I back this. But if thats the case then probably should get the 13 inch if its your ONLY machine. And down the line it might be a good idea to pay that 100 bucks for the external optical drive.

They lowered it to $79. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.