Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsklar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
so after macworld, if/when the new powerbooks are released and there are discounts on the current models, will i be able to BTO the then outdated models? will i be able to use an educational discount too?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jsklar said:
so after macworld, if/when the new powerbooks are released and there are discounts on the current models, will i be able to BTO the then outdated models? will i be able to use an educational discount too?
Once a model is discontinued, you can't BTO them, or, AFAIK, get an edu discount.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
jsw said:
Once a model is discontinued, you can't BTO them, or, AFAIK, get an edu discount.

i'll back up this statement... once discontinued, no BTO (via apple.com), no edu. discount.

i mean discontinued means just that...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I can understand that you can't do a BTO on a discontinued item. Surprised that the educational discount wound not still be offered.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
It is my understanding that EDU discounts are still available. Though the difference may only be $50.

i thought they all got lumped together in the special deals section... (meaning no specific [further] discounted page for edu.)

in any case, edu. discounting is a courtesy offered by apple. it is certainly understandable if apple didn't let you "double dip" on discounts by not offering further edu discounts on already discounted discontinued items.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jxyama said:
i thought they all got lumped together in the special deals section... (meaning no specific [further] discounted page for edu.)

in any case, edu. discounting is a courtesy offered by apple. it is certainly understandable if apple didn't let you "double dip" on discounts by not offering further edu discounts on already discounted discontinued items.

True, but Apple want to move old inventory. I think it is based more on the the inventory levels that may have.

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
the old ones will be in the SALE section with the refurbs .. but no BTO will be available .. mainly because BTO is done in the factory .. once that line has stopped the only source the old ones come from are warehouses .. so it is operationally impossible to BTO those old ones ..

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Chip NoVaMac said:
True, but Apple want to move old inventory. I think it is based more on the the inventory levels that may have.

Apple ususlly dosen't have a problem with excess inventory since they actually stop producing machines before they release new models. Or at least they used to, maybe they've changed that after running out of G4 iMacs about a month before the G5 iMac was released. But most of the warehouse companies like Macmall and Macwarehouse buy huge quantities of the old models as soon as new ones are announced.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Norouzi said:
Apple ususlly dosen't have a problem with excess inventory since they actually stop producing machines before they release new models. Or at least they used to, maybe they've changed that after running out of G4 iMacs about a month before the G5 iMac was released. But most of the warehouse companies like Macmall and Macwarehouse buy huge quantities of the old models as soon as new ones are announced.

Not always since they have resellers that manage the the "stock balance" requirements closely. They do have good inventory control, but it is not perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.