PDA

View Full Version : Root Access with iDOS

tgibeau
Oct 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
Hey All,

I figured I would post a forum thread just for this :D

I was putting in some work into the command lines because I am familier to Dos Box. I found I could mount the root directory of my iPad .

I am working on uploading screenshots now, but in the mean time I will give you the commands.

Under the C:\ type "z:"
Than
Under Z:\ type "mount d: /"

It will give you an error stating to mount to sub directory next time, but it will still work.

Then type "d:"
And use the DIR command to display the directory!

Here is also a video tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjMGB9q-nQg&hd=1
(the HD might still be processing :D)

I have attached some images as well

Enjoy!

sracer
Oct 26, 2010, 07:14 PM
very nice! The DOS commandline is my 2nd language. I'm glad that I bought iDOS while it was available... this is going to be a lot of fun.

asr10 user
Oct 26, 2010, 10:27 PM
Do you think its somehow possible to transfer a .app via itunes, then using this method somehow transfer it over to the ios root app section?

alan111
Oct 26, 2010, 11:14 PM
I was able to download this in time.
How do i go about getting Win95 installed?

I would really appreciate the help!!

matt90036
Oct 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
It not in the app store anymore.....

txa1265
Oct 28, 2010, 07:43 AM

Yep, sadly I missed it as well ... was really looking forward to getting some of my old DOS RPG games running again, too ...

roadbloc
Oct 28, 2010, 08:51 AM

Damn. Why has it been removed?

Ivan P
Oct 28, 2010, 08:54 AM
Damn. Why has it been removed?

I'd say the results of the very first post in this topic is reason enough, Apple wouldn't want users being able to see their device's file system.

sracer
Oct 28, 2010, 09:30 AM
It was reported on another site that the author of iDOS has removed the two included games and restricted access to root and is resubmitting it.

txa1265
Oct 28, 2010, 10:33 AM
It was reported on another site that the author of iDOS has removed the two included games and restricted access to root and is resubmitting it.

Cool! I hope it is open enough to be able to run some old DOS games I have ... sure running Ultima IV in DOSBox works well ... but I want it on my iPad!

yayitsezekiel
Oct 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
is the windows 3.1 version only for ipad? or does it work on the iphone one too?

sracer
Oct 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Cool! I hope it is open enough to be able to run some old DOS games I have ... sure running Ultima IV in DOSBox works well ... but I want it on my iPad!
The current version (that was pulled from the app store) is open enough to run virtually everything that was thrown at it. I was able to run Geoworks/NewDealOffice.... others ran Windows 3.1. One guy even has Win95 running.