Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
What I'm trying to do is pretty straightforward:

My wife and I use separate accounts on our iMac. Most of our files are stored on a mini-based server. Connecting to the network share from a single account works perfectly.

But, when you then switch accounts using Fast User Switching without logging the first user out, the second account sees the mounted share as a folder for which it does not have read/write permissions. It does still show up on the desktop, you just can't do anything with it.

You can then manually re-mount the same network volume from the second account (even using the same login credentials), and it will work fine, but the inaccessible mount remains. It's ugly since now BOTH accounts will see an identically-named folder with no permissions.

Also, I believe because there's already an entry in /Volumes of the same name, aliases from the second account don't automatically mount the volume and open the desired folder; you need to manually connect first.

Annoying at minimum, and a huge pain for my less-geeky wife.

I'm wondering if there's any obvious workaround for this. I found a thread at the Apple Discussions about the same issue, but there didn't seem to be any usable solutions proposed. Thought maybe the smart people here might think of something.

At minimum it seems like I should be able to rig a script that runs prior to user login that maps the network share to an appropriate spot in /Volumes that's writable by all users, although that would presumably break if the drive needed to be disconnected for some reason.

I can see how this got by under the radar, but with the increasingly accessible home servers Apple is producing, I rather hope they come up with some way to make it transparent in 10.7.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
If you are both members of the group staff, which I think you should be, then you can alter the group on the mount in Terminal:

Code:
chgrp -R staff /Volumes/<name of volume>

Then in Finder, modify the group permissions so that you both have read/write permissions. Alternatively, you can run these commands in Terminal:

Code:
find /Volumes/<name of volume> -type f -exec chmod 664 {} \;
find /Volumes/<name of volume> -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.