PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's $26bn home run

MacBytes
Jan 7, 2005, 12:58 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft\'s $26bn home run (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050107135853)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Photorun
Jan 7, 2005, 01:24 PM
I guess the question will come down to intelligence and taste. If the average consumer wants buggy, lackluster, passionless, crashing, craptacular software in their home compromising their entertainment and enjoyment instead being just drones to a name to a hollow, soulless, unoriginal company M$ will indeed succeed. If consumers are just a fraction smarter, they wont.

What kills me is it's typical M$ to basically find and exploit any item that has a fast upgrade cycle and, in fact, make it faster, the cycle that it is. Basically clustereff people into HAVING to upgrade, having to rely on. It's like the auto makers of the 70s when they put transmissions and other major parts that were built to break at regular, and soon intervals so people would have to open up their wallets big time. Microshaft doesn't care about innovating or technology, only about screwing consumers into an endless cycle of dependence... it borders on evil, certainly lacks morals and a soul... but hey, M$ has the corner of the market on soulless chum shoveled onto the ignorant masses.

dsharits
Jan 7, 2005, 01:44 PM
What kills me is it's typical M$ to basically find and exploit any item that has a fast upgrade cycle and, in fact, make it faster, the cycle that it is. Basically clustereff people into HAVING to upgrade, having to rely on. It's like the auto makers of the 70s when they put transmissions and other major parts that were built to break at regular, and soon intervals so people would have to open up their wallets big time. Microshaft doesn't care about innovating or technology, only about screwing consumers into an endless cycle of dependence... it borders on evil, certainly lacks morals and a soul... but hey, M$ has the corner of the market on soulless chum shoveled onto the ignorant masses.

I couldn't agree more. Very well said.

Daniel

1macker1
Jan 7, 2005, 01:55 PM
Wondering what all they plan to deliver to my living room. I mean really, besides the home movies and photos, what else is there. If it's a good idea, Im in.

combatcolin
Jan 7, 2005, 01:57 PM
Basicly the article is saying that unless Micro$oft make there "living room" products easy to use and breakproof they won't sell.

1macker1
Jan 7, 2005, 02:05 PM
I dont really see the need for the 'living room' center. Not on a day to day basis.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 7, 2005, 02:39 PM
To be fair photorun, almost any company today has to look at long term revenues of products they release.

That is why we have the rumors of the under $500 Mac. Or why Apple has brought about regular updates to the OS X.

In the end the producer of products that won't crash will be the winner in the living room.

tpatricks
Jan 7, 2005, 03:02 PM
The article is spot on about the target Microsoft needs to hit and the expense they're going to to get there.

"Home run" shouldn't be likened to a baseball player's "home run" which drives in runners and scores runs for the team.

The "home run" referred to is Microsoft's product marketing direction for playing in the "home" of the future. The costs are high. The stakes are high. Microsoft's betting on anything that'll keep 'em in the game.

That being said, despite their continued profits and revenue, Microsoft's being outgunned in a number of areas by more nimble, thoughtful, better run companies.

Apple is one (as noted here: http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/apple_prepares_to_drop_500_bomb_on_microsoft/) and there are others.

What's Microsoft's record when betting on market opportunities where they cannot compete illegally (remember; they're a criminal company)? Profits on revenue come from Windows, Office, and what else?

Yeah, they've still got $20-billion in the bank and a steady stream of cash flowing in, but their detractors increase daily as does the number of people who hate their products.

I've used Microsoft products for over 20 years. Because I want to? No, because I HAVE to for business compatibility sake. Do I want anything from Redmond in my living room? Piles of cash. Nothing else.

The future's changes in entertainment access, communication, and "home" tools will change dramatically in the next five to 10 years. More cool stuff, faster connections, lower prices, and a "fragmentation" of products and marketing like we've never seen.

Microsoft wants to be THE player. If things work out very well for the consumer, Microsoft won't be.

2-cents worth.

gregnacu
Jan 7, 2005, 03:14 PM
Amen Brotha! Photorun you took the words right out of my mouth. Unfortunately, as history has proven, the masses just don't seem to have that fraction of intelligence.

Greg.

OhEsTen
Jan 7, 2005, 08:15 PM
DAMN THE MASSES!

Lugonn
Jan 7, 2005, 10:50 PM
That's okay, I will continue to stay my course and avoid things M$.

Imagine having your burgular alarm systems based on Windoze :eek:

solvs
Jan 9, 2005, 09:56 PM
I remember Gateway's TV based systems years ago. They seemed cool, but impractical. Nowadays we know better. It's fun to have everything work together (like having your computer hooked up to your stereo and/or TV), but as is the main arguement when talking about these intergrated systems, nobody wants to reboot their TV if it crashes.