PDA

View Full Version : logic 9 on 13" MBA

dave12345
Oct 27, 2010, 04:08 AM
is anyone running this set up ? ( on any of the 13" configurations ) how does it perform ? i'm not concerned about screen size as I am currently on a 13" MBP

thanks

dave12345
Oct 27, 2010, 04:11 AM
i'm also considering getting the mbox3 to run protools le on an MBA - does anyone have this set up ?

cheers

howard
Oct 27, 2010, 08:46 PM
one concern... can you chain USB devices like you can chain firewire?

cause you'll run out of disk space fast on a MBA and with USB only you might not be able to chain another drive.

I'm sure it'll run fine, but it all depends on how much you will do with it. How many plugins you need to run, or how many tracks you'll be playing back.

Killyp
Oct 28, 2010, 06:23 AM
ProTools will generally kick up a fuss if you're recording onto the boot drive or a USB drive (ie, you can only record onto a secondary drive which is either internal or Firewire). I can't see this should be an issue with an SSD drive, but whether it'll work or not I don't know. The lack of Firewire will kinda screw you over in many ways.

Logic should run fine though, up to a certain track count (at which point USB starts to fall over).

For ProTools - MacBook Pro all the way...

dave12345
Oct 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
thanks guys - would be great to hear from anyone running this set up

cheers

OrganMusic
Oct 31, 2010, 12:13 PM
I know everyone says not to record on the system drive, but I record from my Mbox2 onto my 2008 MBP internal HD with Protools 7.4.x all the time and have never once had a problem that I've noticed.

The SSD in the new MBAs is so fast I can't imagine there'd be any trouble unless you really push it hard with lots of tracks and effects.

If you're using an mBox it must be plugged directly into a USB port, they won't work on a hub.

dave12345
Nov 4, 2010, 04:36 AM
cool thanks - has anyone installed logic9 on their mba ? i want to know if the 1.86 is enough ...

Cycom
Nov 4, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm able to run a couple dozen tracks at once on my 2.26 MBP. On a new MBA I'd say you'd be able to run Logic 9 perfectly well (unless you're planning to run 20 softsynths at once or something crazy like that!)