PDA

View Full Version : With Apple a No-Show, Creative Zen the MP3 Player Favorite a...

MacBytes
Jan 7, 2005, 02:51 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: With Apple a No-Show, Creative Zen the MP3 Player Favorite at CES (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050107155111)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

ALoLA
Jan 7, 2005, 03:13 PM
This will probably be irrelevant after Tuesday. ;)

spinner
Jan 7, 2005, 03:52 PM
I wonder if Creative thinks by offering more colors they can beat the iPod.

dejo
Jan 7, 2005, 04:37 PM
"Apple's decision to not share its digital rights management (DRM) technology and not opening up to consumers buying music from other places will end up hurting Apple. I'm confident of that," said a retailer buyer from a nationwide chain, who asked not to be identified. "We sell the iPod in our stores, but we're finding more customers talking about choice when they buy an MP3 player. They can't get as much choice in an iPod, and they're starting the realize that."

First, why is this retail buyer afraid to identify himself? Maybe because if he did, he'd lose his job later when proven wrong?

Second, this whole argument about "choice" only applies if you are using Windows as your OS. Apple OS users have much less choice when it comes to purchasing music online and no plans from those competitors to ever support the Apple platform. So much for choice.

J-Squire
Jan 7, 2005, 05:32 PM
Apple have been proven right. It said in the article that Creative plan on releasing a 1GB flash player this year! Those leaks have cost apple dearly. When Apple released the mini last year, no competitors were ready for it and they got a fairly good headstart before competitors introduced their versions of the mini. But now they all know what Apple are doing and are getting ready to have cheaper, viable alternatives on the shelves as soon as the iPod Flash is released.

chewbaccapits
Jan 7, 2005, 05:36 PM
A viable alternative...hmmm...Have they even tried to navigate thru ZEN..It
sucks! You can slap on every color Apple comes out with and give it a similar price, but it won't work...Sorry...I just don't believe it can. The iPod is class the whole way. I mean, just opening the iPod packaging is awesome. Scrolling thru the music is INTUITIVE as heck...As long as Apple keeps trying to hold the iPod infront of all of the clowns the iPod will hold high ground for a while...

J-Squire
Jan 7, 2005, 06:18 PM
I'm not saying this is the end of the ipod domination. Yes, the iPod has way more class, user friendliness, fashion factor etc. But simply having an alternative on the shelves at the same time, or before, apple release their product is going to effect sales

Fredstar
Jan 7, 2005, 06:35 PM
The Creative Zen is a really crappy mp3 player, a friend has bought one and it is just rubbish. Uncomfortable to scroll through, feels and looks big and clumsy and cheap and i don't like the screen. Comparing my ipod to the Creative is like comparing OSx to Xp.
The real competition imo is the Sony HD3, i am even tempted myself. Ok so you don't get the auto-syncing with itunes but it is smaller, can (apparently) hold more songs (with better compression) and has a pretty incredible 30 hour battery life. They have missed out on the xmas season but they are very valid competition.
Few people will turn to them because the ipod is known as too common now. All of my close friends have an ipod, of the other friends most of them are either planning to get an ipod or have one and only one has a Creative Zen. On my coach nearly every single person has an ipod, even some of the 13 yr olds. It is crazy and while the ipod is such a lovely music player ( i love mine to bits) everyone has them and i hear the "but everyone has them" saying.
Also i hope Apple aren't getting too cocky and make the mistake of not taking ful advantage of the market, there are still so many people who want an mp3 player but don't need/have 4gb's of music so a flash ipod would be a perfect addition especially with all the hype.

hob
Jan 7, 2005, 07:58 PM
Apple have been proven right. It said in the article that Creative plan on releasing a 1GB flash player this year! Those leaks have cost apple dearly. When Apple released the mini last year, no competitors were ready for it and they got a fairly good headstart before competitors introduced their versions of the mini. But now they all know what Apple are doing and are getting ready to have cheaper, viable alternatives on the shelves as soon as the iPod Flash is released.

yup.

trade secrets are trade secrets. they wouldn't be suing if it wasn't that important.

I noticed one of the major selling points of the Zen was... colour... GREAT! :rolleyes: I'd be happy if they said "you can have an iPod in any colour as long as it's white..."! mmmmm iPod...

Hob

winmacguy
Jan 7, 2005, 08:37 PM
On my coach nearly every single person has an ipod, even some of the 13 yr olds. It is crazy and while the ipod is such a lovely music player ( i love mine to bits) everyone has them and i hear the "but everyone has them" saying.

Everyone I know has a PC. Does that mean that they are "common"?

I guess to many teens the iPod has become the "in" fashion accessory. Fortunatly you can change the music on them to suit your listening tastes so I dont see them going "out of fashion" in a hurry. Not to mention the hundreds of fashionable add ons for your iPod.

I hope a few of those kids on your coach have been switched to the Mac platform if they werent already on it?

Fredstar
Jan 8, 2005, 03:28 AM
I don't have a problem at all with seeing so many ipods around, it is nice to nice just how successful it has become and so much if a icon in our school and amongst teenagers. It is just a few have been saying that they are too common and don't get the ipod just because it is so popular.
And regarding switching to the mac platform, i don't think there are many if any in our school who have bought a ipod and then bought a mac because of itunes and the ipod. Many just see it as a brilliant and popular mp3 player with music software called itunes. Many don't know Apple make computers. Obviously i hear people talking about the Regent street store (where some got their ipods) and saying how sweet some of the computers were but, with the cost, they just accept to use a wintel machine.
Here in the UK we are very ignorant about Macs, i have switched a friend who bought himself a Powerbook and a few other friends love my new imac but not enough to bother to learn on something new or (obviously) can't afford it and their parents don't want to learn something new again.
So imo the ipod Halo effect educates people maybe but right now is not taking great effect, perhaps the release of the headless imac (or whatever) will prompt more people to switch.

iJaz
Jan 9, 2005, 02:38 AM
Everyone I know has a PC. Does that mean that they are "common"?

I guess to many teens the iPod has become the "in" fashion accessory. Fortunatly you can change the music on them to suit your listening tastes so I dont see them going "out of fashion" in a hurry. Not to mention the hundreds of fashionable add ons for your iPod.

I hope a few of those kids on your coach have been switched to the Mac platform if they werent already on it?
A colleague at work got an iPod for christmas and she's in love with it, now she's talking about getting a Mac! But she thinks they are too expensive, so I hope the headless Mac will suit her fine. I keep my fingers crossed for Tuesday!

jbembe
Jan 9, 2005, 05:03 PM
The real competition imo is the Sony HD3, i am even tempted myself. Ok so you don't get the auto-syncing with itunes but it is smaller, can (apparently) hold more songs (with better compression) and has a pretty incredible 30 hour battery life. They have missed out on the xmas season but they are very valid competition.

Not to be argumentative, but your are falling prey to Sony's false advertising. The iPod and Sony have the same size hard drive, mp3 is probably inferior to AAC, and let's not joke about ATRAC, and the battery might be better, but only when you play highly compressed files that are very lossy audio. Apple could write 20,000 songs on the iPod 20gig, but who wants to listen to 48kbps files?

dejo
Jan 9, 2005, 05:55 PM
A colleague at work got an iPod for christmas and she's in love with it, now she's talking about getting a Mac! But she thinks they are too expensive, so I hope the headless Mac will suit her fine. I keep my fingers crossed for Tuesday!

I hope besides crossing your fingers, you are educating your colleague by directing her to various "total cost" articles that argue PCs may not always be cheaper than Macs (Google it), as well as explaining the old adage "you get what you pay for" (i.e. bottom-line price should not be the sole determining factor).