PDA

View Full Version : Free 13-song album "iTunes New Music Sampler (Universal Mot...

MacBytes
Jan 7, 2005, 02:56 PM
Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: Free 13-song album \"iTunes New Music Sampler (Universal Motown Edition)\" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050107155612)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Stella
Jan 7, 2005, 03:09 PM
Not on the Canadian store.

Heavens forbid if Apple launched promotions for consumers outside the us borders.

jbembe
Jan 7, 2005, 03:18 PM
AWESOME!!!!!

I hope they do this more!!!

KrysBaz
Jan 7, 2005, 03:22 PM
Not on the Canadian store.

Heavens forbid if Apple launched promotions for consumers outside the us borders.

not on the uk store either

azdude
Jan 7, 2005, 03:26 PM
Somehow I don't think this is supposed to be mass-market public (as in a separate link). It's not being promoted on the store main pages, and the only place I've seen 13 songs offered for free at once is just recently (post-Christmas) when you buy a brand new iPod and plug it in for the first time. Perhaps this is a link to that collection.

Hmmm.... Oh well (As I press "Add Album") ;)

Bear
Jan 7, 2005, 03:34 PM
Somehow I don't think this is supposed to be mass-market public (as in a separate link). It's not being promoted on the store main pages, and the only place I've seen 13 songs offered for free at once is just recently (post-Christmas) when you buy a brand new iPod and plug it in for the first time. Perhaps this is a link to that collection.

Hmmm.... Oh well (As I press "Add Album") ;)I know it's the collection offered when connecting a new iPod. And I hope that by the link being posted, Apple doesn't decide to skip doing stuff like this in the future.

jdechko
Jan 7, 2005, 03:38 PM
Awesome! Guess i just got 13 free songs.

eroyce
Jan 7, 2005, 03:41 PM
When I finished downloading this album, iTunes reminded me that my music is valuable and that I should back it up. Haven't seen that before.

jdechko
Jan 7, 2005, 03:43 PM
yeah, it did that to me too. I think its a new ITMS feature.

jbembe
Jan 7, 2005, 03:57 PM
yeah, it did that to me too. I think its a new ITMS feature.

It did that to me perhaps it is right around the time that you have 700Mb of iTMS songs that can fill one data CD? I burned a few just after that, it only takes 5 minutes and data CDs are CHEAP. :D

dfa4
Jan 7, 2005, 03:59 PM
Would have wished they offered 12 or 14 songs... I am very superstitious ;)

mkrishnan
Jan 7, 2005, 04:11 PM
Good stuff. And it's hip-hop and R&B too! :D

*waits for download so he can listen*

CrackedButter
Jan 7, 2005, 04:35 PM
WOW! FREE songs which due to licensing issues cannot be had outside the US.

If they are free whats the problem?

dejo
Jan 7, 2005, 05:36 PM
WOW! FREE songs which due to licensing issues cannot be had outside the US.

If they are free whats the problem?

Just because they are free, doesn't mean the territorial licensing goes out the window. Apple probably needs to get special permission just to offer the songs free and part of that agreement is probably which stores(/countries) will carry the offer.

dejo
Jan 7, 2005, 05:36 PM
In case anybody cares, two of the thirteen tracks were already offered as free downloads previously. They are the tracks from O'Ryan and Teitur.

nagromme
Jan 7, 2005, 11:19 PM
You're right:

"Sleeping With The Lights On" (I like that one OK) and
"Jus Anotha Shorty" (Not my thing)

mkrishnan
Jan 8, 2005, 07:42 AM
Has anyone else had the experience of downloading a song from iTMS just because it was free, ignored it, and later listened to it by accident, and found they really, really liked it? I had that experience with Based on a True Story by Triniti and much earlier by You Don't Have to be Strong by Breanna (?). Anyway, I suppose no one is going to like all the free songs, but I am happy that they're not complete junk either.... :)

killmoms
Jan 8, 2005, 11:02 AM
I really enjoyed that one by Paris Texas that was offered a couple weeks ago, "Bombs Away." And a long while ago there was one by Flickerstick—I was surprised they'd gone indie, and had to get their new album (which was quite good).

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 8, 2005, 03:12 PM
Too bad this isn't on the front page of MR.

wdlove
Jan 8, 2005, 04:21 PM
That you Mudbug for bringing this to our attention. This is a real awesome offer, thank you Steve. I'm downloading right now. Hoping that there will be some that I like.

CubaTBird
Jan 8, 2005, 04:43 PM
um nothing new? i told u guys about his a long time ago ??

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=102251

Thataboy
Jan 8, 2005, 06:52 PM
Nice thought, but there are only 2 good songs in this sampler (Laura and TKO). The rest is borderline retarded :)

Michael McDonald?? I didn't know tone deaf 97 year olds (his fan base) were big iTunes users. ;)

Doctor Q
Jan 8, 2005, 09:42 PM
<advertisement>

Handy MacRumors thread: Free iTunes 2005

Now in its second year of operation!

</advertisement>

sethypoo
Jan 9, 2005, 03:30 AM
Has anyone else had the experience of downloading a song from iTMS just because it was free, ignored it, and later listened to it by accident, and found they really, really liked it? I had that experience with Based on a True Story by Triniti and much earlier by You Don't Have to be Strong by Breanna (?). Anyway, I suppose no one is going to like all the free songs, but I am happy that they're not complete junk either.... :)

I had this experience with Lateef & The Chief's "Don't Stop" song. So far, that has been my favorite free single.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 9, 2005, 05:52 AM
<advertisement>

Handy MacRumors thread: Free iTunes 2005

Now in its second year of operation!

</advertisement>

Thanks, didn't know about the first year of operation.

wdlove
Jan 9, 2005, 05:20 PM
um nothing new? i told u guys about his a long time ago ??

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=102251

Yes, I remember seeing your thread CubaTBird. At the time it appeared to be just for iPod owners. When I used the link couldn't find a way to download any free songs. Thank you for notifying us, guess that I just could get it to work.

The above post by Mudbug at least for me was crystal clear.

It probably shows my age, but I really enjoyed this selection of songs. Have already played them five times. Hope that this will occur again.

macidiot
Jan 9, 2005, 06:04 PM
Just because they are free, doesn't mean the territorial licensing goes out the window. Apple probably needs to get special permission just to offer the songs free and part of that agreement is probably which stores(/countries) will carry the offer.

It probably has less to do with Apple and more to do with the labels wanting to promote the artists and asking Apple to offer these songs for free. Labels and their marketing departments vary from country to country, which would explain the unavailability in other countries.

I doubt that someone at Apple put together this list of songs and then went to Universal Motown to request the free promotion. More likely the other way around. Seems like a standard promotional grouping of songs/artists... couple of names to get your attention and a bunch of relative unknowns.

And having downloaded it, I can see why its free :D

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 9, 2005, 06:40 PM
Yes, I remember seeing your thread CubaTBird. At the time it appeared to be just for iPod owners. When I used the link couldn't find a way to download any free songs. Thank you for notifying us, guess that I just could get it to work.

The above post by Mudbug at least for me was crystal clear.

It probably shows my age, but I really enjoyed this selection of songs. Have already played them five times. Hope that this will occur again.

Same here, it was nice to get the link.

solvs
Jan 9, 2005, 09:37 PM
Has anyone else had the experience of downloading a song from iTMS just because it was free, ignored it, and later listened to it by accident, and found they really, really liked it?
Jem's They. I saw the video on TV and noticed I had d/l the song but never listened to it. I even d/l'ed the video. I love that song for some reason.