Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan7491

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
I am away from any possible tech assistance. Tiger 10.4.11 on my PowerBook dies on me randomly and unexpectedly.The internal cd drive and the probably the USB ports don't work properly. The external USB CD writer appears in Profiler but does not load the disk, nor boots (pressing c or opt at the right time).

I did everything generally suggested. Is there any other way to install Leopard (MACOSX 10.5)? I have a leopard image, in a working firewire external drive. It won't boot of course but I know of a utility which allows installing from images ....

I have nobody near with anther mac. and I need to finish a job ASAP.

I'm aware it might be an hardware problem but before I loose this job I hope to be able to try fixing the system ...

Any help?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I assume that your OS works some way, if you have access to Profiler. So, you can copy Leo image to internal HDD, restore it to this external one to boot from it later. Like this. Ensure that your external HDD is APM (Apple Partition Map) formatted.

Dan7491

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Thank you really ...

I thought of trying restore, but I was told I will loose every file. Is it so or the Restore option will only change the system?

Thanks again

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Could your RAM need re-seating? Try opening the machine up and giving the SIMMs the old wiggle-and-push.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I meant restore 10.5 Install Disc to firewire HDD. If there are any files on destination drive, they will be deleted. This would let you boot from it to: install Leopard, run Disk Utility (verify/repair disk) and fsck before/instead installation.

Later, after booting from external HDD, you have to choose Archive and Install or Upgrade (no Erase and Install!). These options will leave your files on internal HDD.

But first I'd recommend boot in single user mode and run fsck https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89736/ It could fix your 10.4

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
That Ur USB DVD drive doesn't work is normal. You'll also find USB harddrives and some USB modems won't work either. Is cos the USB ports are underpowered. Good luck with the install

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.