Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
I'm already getting weird stuff. There seems to be some cracking sounds coming from my external speakers when a sound plays, and it can either go on for a long time, or it just plays a little "scratch".

HOWEVER, this seems to happen when my external hard drive is on and is accessing the hard disk in it. When it's off, there's no crackling at all.

Could it be a problem regarding my hard drive? Or is there an actual fault with my mini's sound?

Thanks.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Make sure everything is grounded properly. Check cable connections. Try different cables.

Don't forget with a new Mac you have 90 days of free technical support. Contact the experts.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Are your speakers the type that are connected to the audio out jack, or via USB, or Firewire? And which port does the external HDD use?

Xenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Make sure everything is grounded properly. Check cable connections. Try different cables.

Don't forget with a new Mac you have 90 days of free technical support. Contact the experts.

I've tried different cables, and it doesn't seem to do much, the crackling still happens, but a little quieter though.

Are your speakers the type that are connected to the audio out jack, or via USB, or Firewire? And which port does the external HDD use?

The speakers are plug powered and are connected via audio out jack. The External HDD is using an USB port.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
The speakers are plug powered and are connected via audio out jack. The External HDD is using an USB port.

OK, then it shouldn't be the bus affecting the sound (I do occasionally get this on my Firewire speakers).

So, I'd second ActionableMango's advice and give Apple a call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.