PDA

View Full Version : Is a PowerBook G4 Worth Buying?

Jony Mac
Oct 27, 2010, 12:39 PM
I've been tossing around this idea and wanted to get some other opinions. I currently have a 2009 unibody MacBook, but I am thinking about purchasing a PowerBook G4 for my wife.

She currently has a Dell Inspirion 8600 which the battery is shot on and it is slow. I'd like to get her a Mac, but trying to save money I was looking at PowerBook options. I am aware that upgrading beyond Leopard wont happen and I think I'm okay with that since she still runs XP.

She will use this mainly for email, web, facebook, (facebook games), YouTube, etc. I'm not sure how in depth she'd use iTunes or any of the iLife suite.

For what I mentioned above will a PPC PowerBook handle her needs? I only can compare how these apps / functions run on my current Mac which is far different than a PowerBook.

If you could leave a reply or perhaps a suggestion or two that would be great.

Intell
Oct 27, 2010, 12:42 PM
It won't be able to handle websites that are full of Flash and some YouTube videos may not play correctly. But if you where to get one, get a 1.5Ghz or faster one and max out it's ram.

arogge
Oct 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
I've seen Facebook games crash a brand new dual-core Mac with gobs of RAM. What are those stupid scripts doing? Doesn't anyone know what streamlining is anymore? It's no wonder the servers keep crashing.

It's not the computer that is getting slow. It's the inefficient sites and software that are sucking more resources to do the same thing they did before with far fewer resources available.

California
Oct 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
Personally I am insecure without two Mac computers. I like having PPC machines around because I do have a lot of old media, including Mac floppy discs, that I might want to access at some point.

What is most important to me about older Macs now is the video card, so I can drive my Apple Display.

I have made my Display run off a 12" PPC Powerbook with 64mb of vram...

Very cool.

Jony Mac
Oct 27, 2010, 05:42 PM
So if I can find a 1.5GHz G4 and 1GB of RAM or more do you think this will be enough? As I said I only have my current Mac to go by since I've never owned a PPC.

alust2013
Oct 27, 2010, 05:45 PM
You may be able to get away with a late, high-end PB, but I think it would be easier to just get an early model MacBook which shouldn't be a ton more expensive. It will be useful for far longer than a powerbook.

Jony Mac
Oct 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
I was thinking of that. The only problem is most people really don't take care of their MacBooks. Too get a MB in good condition I'm around $500 - $700 which I'd rather not spend that right now, which is why a PB was more appealing.

Hrududu
Oct 27, 2010, 09:47 PM
I'm going to 2nd the suggestion to go with 1.5GHz or better. I'm pretty pleased with how my 1.5GHz 12" handles modern day web and Leopard OS. Rarely do I find myself wishing it had more power when using it for daily tasks. I can only imagine having a 1.67GHz processor and a little faster graphics card can only make things even more pleasant.

mrsir2009
Oct 27, 2010, 10:44 PM
I've seen Facebook games crash a brand new dual-core Mac with gobs of RAM. What are those stupid scripts doing? Doesn't anyone know what streamlining is anymore? It's no wonder the servers keep crashing.

It's not the computer that is getting slow. It's the inefficient sites and software that are sucking more resources to do the same thing they did before with far fewer resources available.

Its all down to lazy programming and bloated apps that don't actually need to be bloated :rolleyes:

I was thinking of that. The only problem is most people really don't take care of their MacBooks. Too get a MB in good condition I'm around $500 - $700 which I'd rather not spend that right now, which is why a PB was more appealing.

Get a late 2006 or early 2007 MacBook Pro ;) My dad has one. They shouldn't be very expensive now. Some are going for as low as $400 on auction sites :) If you find a bargin you could get a 15 inch one for $400... Maybe $450, $500 max. I've used one, and they are pretty great computer with good speakers. (BTW they seem to last forever!)

Jony Mac
Oct 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
I've tried finding a early MacBook. On Ebay its hit or miss, either the early ones are expensive still, or the laptop is in bad condition. I still have not found a perfect match.

Comparing to what my wife has now, (Inspirion 8600; 1.6GHZ Pentium M, 1GB of RAM, 60GB HD) would she see any difference with say a 1.33GHZ or higher PPC G4 with 1GB of RAM?

Anyone have any other places to suggest where to check? I've looked on craigslist also.

mrsir2009
Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've tried finding a early MacBook. On Ebay its hit or miss, either the early ones are expensive still, or the laptop is in bad condition. I still have not found a perfect match.

Comparing to what my wife has now, (Inspirion 8600; 1.6GHZ Pentium M, 1GB of RAM, 60GB HD) would she see any difference with say a 1.33GHZ or higher PPC G4 with 1GB of RAM?

Anyone have any other places to suggest where to check? I've looked on craigslist also.

What country are you in? Because in New Zealand (where I live) there are a couple of 2006 MacBook Pro bargins on TradeMe. Mind you, if you live in Australia you can also use trademe (I think).

Jony Mac
Oct 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
What country are you in? Because in New Zealand (where I live) there are a couple of 2006 MacBook Pro bargins on TradeMe. Mind you, if you live in Australia you can also use trademe (I think).

I'm in the US ..

What about the question I asked earlier comparing specs? Would she notice a difference ?

alust2013
Oct 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm in the US ..

What about the question I asked earlier comparing specs? Would she notice a difference ?

Looks like it would be roughly the same performance.

Jony Mac
Oct 28, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hmm..thats what i thought. Hopefully I can find a MacBook then.

Hrududu
Oct 28, 2010, 03:39 PM
Looks like it would be roughly the same performance.
Have you ever used a single core Pentium M? They're trash! The G4 will smoke that thing in everyday use. The clock speed may be similar, but I can assure you there is a huge difference in how the CPU's work. A 1.6GHz pentium M is basically a PIII at heart.

Jony Mac
Oct 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
Have you ever used a single core Pentium M? They're trash! The G4 will smoke that thing in everyday use. The clock speed may be similar, but I can assure you there is a huge difference in how the CPU's work. A 1.6GHz pentium M is basically a PIII at heart.

So based on what I mentioned my wife will be using it for, do you think that a G4 is good enough? If so what minimum requirements should I look for?

Epsilon88
Oct 28, 2010, 10:36 PM
So based on what I mentioned my wife will be using it for, do you think that a G4 is good enough? If so what minimum requirements should I look for?

Hey. Recently I decided to get an iBook G4 to save money. It is 1.33 ghz and has 1.2 gb of RAM. To be honest, it was a mistake. If you save up $200 more and buy a decent Macbook, this is what you will gain:

- compatibility with modern software. EG: Microsoft 2008 and 2011, newer versions of Firefox
- faster speed and larger hard drive. In the end, this will save you hours and hours of time (over the long term)
- better multitouch functions. I'm not sure about the Powerbook G4, but you can't do the 2 finger scroll with an iBook G4. I really miss this feature.
- more assurance that your data is safe - if you are using a 6 year old laptop, there are much greater chances of hard drive crashes
- basic functionality - on my iBook, there are quite a few things that I can't do online b/c of the age of the machine. eg: YouTube is really jarring to watch.

With this in mind, I wouldn't spend over $150 for a Powerbook G4. What you will lose in productivity time (and being forced to use old software) will erase any gains you made by buying a cheaper product.

Hrududu
Oct 29, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hey. Recently I decided to get an iBook G4 to save money. It is 1.33 ghz and has 1.2 gb of RAM. To be honest, it was a mistake. If you save up $200 more and buy a decent Macbook, this is what you will gain:

- compatibility with modern software. EG: Microsoft 2008 and 2011, newer versions of Firefox
- faster speed and larger hard drive. In the end, this will save you hours and hours of time (over the long term)
- better multitouch functions. I'm not sure about the Powerbook G4, but you can't do the 2 finger scroll with an iBook G4. I really miss this feature.
- more assurance that your data is safe - if you are using a 6 year old laptop, there are much greater chances of hard drive crashes
- basic functionality - on my iBook, there are quite a few things that I can't do online b/c of the age of the machine. eg: YouTube is really jarring to watch.

With this in mind, I wouldn't spend over $150 for a Powerbook G4. What you will lose in productivity time (and being forced to use old software) will erase any gains you made by buying a cheaper product.
An additional $200 is almost doubling what the Powerbook would cost. Naturally paying close to 2x more for anything is going to get you a better product. The whole idea here is that he's trying to not spend a lot of money. Also, Office 2008 only requires a 500MHz G4, and yes later Powerbooks do include 2 finger scrolling. I'll also say that reliability on Powerbook hard drives has proven much higher than on 2006 and 2007 MacBooks which are being suggested by many people. I personally have serviced several of these systems that needed drives replaced (Apple even admitted they were faulty and provided an extended warranty that just ran out 2 months ago). So I don't see anybody's data being safer on one of those. I'm not trying to argue here, but I just wanted to clarify some things. An Intel system is obviously going to have a longer support life, but its going to cost more to get one that isn't prone to problems.

MacHamster68
Oct 29, 2010, 05:36 AM
the early fist generation Macbook's are a gamble a big one, and not worth the money people ask for , you looked at ebay so you must have seen loads of them sold as not working and with all sort of problems
so if, then i would only ever buy a 17" macbook pro of that time

read carefully

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html

and for the powerbooks loads of known issues too ,like failing ram slots in the 1.5 and 1.67ghz models

SO if you find a MacBook or Powerbook ASK the owner if he had apple care or in case of MacBooks still has and if he had any parts replaced by apple if no apple care and no parts replaced better walk away as they do not get better with age
if not better walk away from a ebay deal there is a reason why so many get sold as for parts or repair and not working

your best source are apple certified repair technicians , they have sometimes some sources like company`s where they maintained their Mac's who now upgrade
and they have a reputation to loose , so they wont sell you rubbish and check before they sell as they have the diagnostic equipment and dont rely on magic crystal balls ,ok might be a bit more expensive ,but a well maintained apple laptop is well worth the money, one that was not even cleaned inside in 1, 2 , 3, 4 ,.... years is worth nothing at all

you might find one that looks like it came fresh out of the factory on the outside but is full of dust inside and so the risk is parts like processor harddrive constantly overheating because of the dust ,and most times over years already ,so you look for trouble and failing parts sooner rather then later
but you can get one that had the logicboard replaced , display replaced , battery replaced by apple under apple care and is clean inside , but has a dent or a scratch on the outside ,
the later is worth something as its likely to last another 3 years , the first is in my opinion only good for spares (to replace the shell of the one with the dent )

Jony Mac
Oct 29, 2010, 06:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks Everyone. I am impressed with the replies so far compared to other forums I've joined.

I'd like to find a MacBook so any software. / OS I add to mine I could also upgrade to my wife's.

I am planning on doing this as an Christmas gift so I do have some time yet to hopefully find one.

I doubt she'll use office or iWork. Probably iTunes and maybe iPhoto. Mail for sure and safari/firefox. So this is why I figured PowerBook. In addition tons of early MacBooks are in bad shape as mentioned. I just find it hard that many people don't take care of them, where the PowerBook users seem to have done so.

Again thanks fir all the replies. Does leopard run pretty well on a PB G4? iLife 08 too?

MacHamster68
Oct 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
yes leopard runs on the Powerbooks , but i urge to choose a later one with at least 1.25ghz and maxed out ram

and its true there seems to be a change in "caring for my Mac"
and a lack of knowledge , every computer needs cleaning inside from time to time ,
but as apple made that really hard with every new laptop or desktop apart from the powerMac's /MacPro's people forget about that cleaning and believe a mac never needs cleaning inside ,

i was on the lookout too for the cute Powerbook 12" 1.0 ghz(dvi) ok it takes only 1.25 gb ram but it looks just gorgeous and i am not a youtube fanatic , so its still perfect for emailing , surfing , office , but all i found so far had been either well overpriced or in a condition like it had been fallen of a lorry on a motorway and ran over by several cars or with dead batteries or not charging ones or scratches on display ,unreadable keys , excessive wear on the trackpad , with smudges all over :(

here thats how a Powerbook should look like even after years of usage then its worth something and people are happy to buy it
http://malaysiads.com/wp-content/uploads/classipress/12-apple-powerbook-g-248383203.jpg
and if it has a new battery and harddrive fitted then you know it was cared for ,as it had to be opened and at least most of the dust fell out then :)

Jony Mac
Oct 29, 2010, 07:30 AM
Indeed that should be how it looks.

I just saw a 15" 1.67GHz; 1GB Ram; 80GB HD PowerBook G4 go for $315. Is that about the price I should expect or should I expect to get one cheaper?

MacHamster68
Oct 29, 2010, 08:05 AM
pricing depends mostly on region even from town to town different ,at the end it all depends on the condition really , i would not argue about the price if the condition is right to justify the price ,if its fully functional with a new battery and really cared for and not kicked over school yards its well worth even more

someone who cared for the Mac deserves a little appreciation
and you should honour his care

Jony Mac
Oct 29, 2010, 08:10 AM
pricing depends mostly on region even from town to town different ,at the end it all depends on the condition really , i would not argue about the price if the condition is right to justify the price ,if its fully functional with a new battery and really cared for and not kicked over school yards its well worth even more

someone who cared for the Mac deserves a little appreciation

Oh I totally agree, I dont believe it was a new battery though. I just want to watch that I don't over pay for something by a lot.

MacHamster68
Oct 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
here its often quiet low in pricing , but it gives you a indication what things should be worth in "average condition " read" still working and lots of scratches and dents and 5 minutes battery life left " :rolleyes:

http://www.mac2sell.net/

Hrududu
Oct 29, 2010, 03:16 PM
Indeed that should be how it looks.

I just saw a 15" 1.67GHz; 1GB Ram; 80GB HD PowerBook G4 go for $315. Is that about the price I should expect or should I expect to get one cheaper?
If you're looking at Macs on eBay, here is my advice. Look for the ones that end at odd times of day and during the week. For example, I was helping my girlfriend find a 12" Powerbook over the last month or so. We watched a few sell for over $300 and up to $400 on one just because they ended at "prime time." This is anytime after 4pm and weekends. She won hers for $225 in the same condition and with even more accessories than the $400 one simply because it ended late at night on a Wednesday. I also won a pair of 2.0GHz G5's in perfect working condition for $125 each shipped. I would attribute that to them ending at 3AM central time US. So basically when buying on eBay, the time it ends can have just as much to do with price as anything else.

Jony Mac
Oct 29, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wow I actually never thought of that. I will have to keep that in mind.

Ram0n
Oct 29, 2010, 07:16 PM

I just bought a pretty good looking PowerBook g4 1.67 ghz, needs another gig of ram (open slot) but other than some wear it is great. So what if I can't upgrade to 10.6.X I am stuck at 10.5.8 and I can use it pretty much for what I want it for... bwuhahahahaha... convert it to a tablet.

Oh, and I bought it in a Waco Texas Goodwill computer outlet for $249.

666sheep
Oct 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
^ Man, that was good deal, at least in comparison with my local aftermarket. Congrats :) It's 15 or 17", DDR2 or DDR one?

11colmil
Oct 29, 2010, 08:13 PM
Powerbooks are great machines. I've known people that love theirs and even though they have Intel Macs, they love their Powerbooks.

I'm looking for a Powerbook for school. I have my Macbook Pro and what not, but I need a computer strictly for word processing, research and so forth. My old iBook that i used to use (G3 900 MHz) took a dive with the dreaded GPU problem. (I already had it shimmed) I was going to get it fixed, but most places wanted way more than it was worth. :mad:

666sheep
Oct 29, 2010, 08:26 PM
Instead looking of PB, try to fix your iBook by yourself. It's worth to try, you'll find directions over the net. It'd be costless and it could help (for some time at least).

11colmil
Oct 29, 2010, 09:13 PM
Instead looking of PB, try to fix your iBook by yourself. It's worth to try, you'll find directions over the net. It'd be costless and it could help (for some time at least).

I have already tried. I gave up on it. Honestly, it wouldn't be worth it. It is a G3 only capable of Tiger without the Leopard on older machines hack. And even then, its still not going to work 100%.

I don't want to spend too much on a simple school computer and I sure as hell don't want to go to (dare I say it?) pc.

A Powerbook fits what I need.

Jony Mac
Oct 30, 2010, 08:36 AM
Hmmm after reading all of this I think I feel comfortable looking / hopefully buying a PowerBook.

Davy.Shalom
Oct 31, 2010, 11:07 PM
It's a great computer, but they don't handle Leopard well, and with Tiger being the latest OS you can put on it and have it run smoothly, you'll be in a tight spot when looking for modern software.

I still love mine to death, but it's just not the same as an Intel Macbook. They're great machines, but only if you're willing to use older software. I'm taking mine to college, and getting a couple new batteries for it.

Davy.Shalom
Oct 31, 2010, 11:08 PM
So...my answer is no. It is not worth buying because you will later regret the fact that it's not as fast as the other macs (or even PCs.. =( ) you see around you. PowerBooks are still beautiful, and even semi-functional, but unless you have patience and extra money sitting around, you're going to regret it. I think you should go for a more modern computer, just because you can put modern software on it.

charlieroberts
Oct 31, 2010, 11:46 PM
Mi 15 inch 1.67 GHz 2GB PB was an excellent computer, then I upgraded to 320GB and it is as good as it gets.

Handles everything perfectly. But I must note that its used mostly for mail, pages and itunes.

It has some trouble with large iphoto libraries but other than that, no problems (it handles sd youtube just fine btw).

As for the price, I think it is worth paying up to 350 dlls for one in good condition, including a new battery and upgraded HD.
Good luck

motulist
Nov 1, 2010, 12:06 AM
It really all depends on the price and the specs. Laptops that are named "powerbook G4" actually span a VERY large range of different models over MANY years and many different levels of technology. I wouldn't consider spending any hundreds of dollars on a PB G4 that's earlier than a 1.5 GHz model, or maybe even a 1.33 GHz if you can get some sort of insanely cheap price on it. But if you can find a 1.5 GHz or faster PB G4 that's in very good condition with a brand new battery and maxed out RAM, then I would say that you should spend a MAXIMUM of $300 on it, but I'd say even that's pushing it.

I know of what I speak - I'm typing this on an Aluminum PB G4 1 Ghz right now. It has been downgraded to kitchen surfing duty only. Its battery hold about 30 seconds worth of power, the screen has grown very dim and yellow over time, the command key on the left side just cracked right in half, it's gone through a couple of charging cables that seem to die after 2 or 3 years, etc. I mean, this machine was a true workhorse for its day, and it was built like a tank, but after 8 years or so, time takes its toll and technology marches ever onward. I'm very happy to have this PB G4 1 GHz around as a light duty entertainment machine around the house, and it's still super useful in many way. But just like an old car, at some point you have to decide that it's not worth the money to repair it anymore and that your dollars would be better spent saving up for a new (or newer used) car.

You said:
She will use this mainly for email, web, facebook, (facebook games), YouTube, etc.

For those tasks, once you start to get into the over $300 range for buying a device, I'd suggest that a $500 iPad would be money much better spent for a light duty entertainment machine. She wouldn't be able to play flash games, but overall I would guess that she'd get a lot more entertainment out of the iPad.

Jony Mac
Nov 1, 2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah due to budget reasons, iPad right now is too much. Even on eBay finding a cheap one is unheard of.

Because I love my MacBook so much I thought she would love OS X too. I've been looking for a 1.33GHz or higher PowerBook. If i can't find one with decent RAM i have two laptops at home I'm hoping I can take out the RAM from them to upgrade the PB to its max amount of RAM. Also I have a spare 100GB hard drive from an Dell Inspiron 9300 I'm wondering if it would work in a PB for an upgrade.

chrismacguy
Nov 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah due to budget reasons, iPad right now is too much. Even on eBay finding a cheap one is unheard of.

Because I love my MacBook so much I thought she would love OS X too. I've been looking for a 1.33GHz or higher PowerBook. If i can't find one with decent RAM i have two laptops at home I'm hoping I can take out the RAM from them to upgrade the PB to its max amount of RAM. Also I have a spare 100GB hard drive from an Dell Inspiron 9300 I'm wondering if it would work in a PB for an upgrade.

As far as RAM goes you have to be careful - mine is quite picky, especially if (for reasons I havent worked out) the modules are unmatched. If the drive is a 2.5" Drive with the right connector (I think its IDE) then it should work fine :)

motulist
Nov 1, 2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah due to budget reasons, iPad right now is too much.

Then my advice applies even more so. I think you shouldn't spend a penny over $300 on a PB G4, because after that you might as well hold off on buying for a few months so that you can save up and bump up what you can afford to something in the ipad price range.

longwood
Nov 3, 2010, 01:19 PM
PowerBook will definitely fit the bill. If you are looking to swap the hard drive just make sure it is PATA. The new hard drives are SATA, however, you mentioned that the Dell is 6 years old - which I would assume is also going to PATA so you shouldn't have a problem. Note that hard drive replacement for PowerBooks is kind of scary, but just follow a guide and be patient and you shouldn't have any problems.

new2powerbook
Nov 6, 2010, 08:32 AM
J,

I see your are looking for good quality at a low price for a PowerBook. I just purchased mine from Cedar PC. I have been dealing with these guys for a long time. I buy and re-sell their refurbished models. I just purchased a refurb PowerBook in a condition it looks like it has never been used and it has anew battery, LCD, and power adapter all for $227.00. They cover all of them with a 30 or 90 day warranty and they give excellent customer service. they have tons of accessories too.

milatchi
Nov 6, 2010, 11:10 AM
So if I can find a 1.5GHz G4 and 1GB of RAM or more do you think this will be enough?

No, it will not.

longwood
Nov 7, 2010, 01:50 AM
No, it will not.

1.5Ghz with 1GB RAM is more than enough for everyday tasks. I have a 1.25Ghz iMac and a 1.67Ghz PowerBook and they run just as quick as my MacBook.

motulist
Nov 7, 2010, 11:23 AM
1.5Ghz with 1GB RAM is more than enough for everyday tasks. I have a 1.25Ghz iMac and a 1.67Ghz PowerBook and they run just as quick as my MacBook.

I disagree. I use a PB G4 1GHz as my junker in the kitchen and it can't do lots of stuff these days. Any website with Flash brings it to a crawl, and more importantly there are more and more apps these days that simply won't work at all on non-intel machines. It's still capable of doing lots of stuff, but at this point in time it's simply not worth it to sink any real amount of money into a non-intel machine.

PowerGamerX
Nov 7, 2010, 12:10 PM
No its not worth buying. It may be worth using to pull up recipes if you already have one. You can get a used Intel MacBook for just about the same price, so it makes no sense to buy a PowerBook or iBook anymore. Sad yes, but that's just the way it is.

Also you should reinstall your OS longwood if your MacBook is as slow as your PowerBook...

Epsilon88
Nov 7, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm getting my Powerbook G4 1.5 ghz, 1.25 gb RAM next week and I'll do a test to see who's right!

BigTroll
Nov 8, 2010, 10:21 PM

okay thats bs right there, a 1.6ghz pentium M is about equal to a pentium 4 at 3ghz they are highly efficient clock for clock, my pentium M dell 9300 has no problem watching youtube 720p fullscreen where my PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.33 struggles at 360p and can only do 240p smooth, if you don't believe me look at all the people that put OS X on older pentium M computers it blows the G4s out of the water in benchmarks and real world perfomance.

PowerGamerX
Nov 8, 2010, 10:22 PM
okay thats bs right there, a 1.6ghz pentium M is about equal to a pentium 4 at 3ghz they are highly efficient clock for clock, my pentium M dell 9300 has no problem watching youtube 720p fullscreen where my PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.33 struggles at 360p and can only do 240p smooth, if you don't believe me look at all the people that put OS X on older pentium M computers it blows the G4s out of the water in benchmarks and real world perfomance.

Exactly, my ThinkPad T43 with a 2.1ghz Pentium M feels extremely capable still, even with Windows 7, the PowerBook I traded recently (12 1.5ghz 1.25gb)... not so much.

Willis
Nov 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
Go for a 1.5 or 1.67 Powerbook. They are still awesome machines. I miss my 15" 1.5 PB.

macgeek18
Nov 9, 2010, 10:47 AM

Any good old PowerPC will out do that Dell. I have a 867 PM G4 QS that my girl uses when shes at my house. She has a 1.8Ghz AMD Anthlon with 2GB of ram and she prefers the PM with only 1GB of ram. Also,just to prove my point,I'm typing this on my iMac G4,800Mhz,768MB RAM running Tiger when I have a brand new Thinkpad with an i3 and 7 Pro sitting next to me. (See specs in sig) I love PowerPC,it's what got me hooked on Mac in the first place.The reason why I still have my first PPC Mac,my PM G4. :) get a 1.33-1.67 G4 PB and max it out with 2GB of ram and Leopard and you won't regret it.:)

Jony Mac
Nov 10, 2010, 08:34 AM
wow everyone has given more comments on this. I'm still torn. The prices on ebay are up now (i think b/c of Christmas), so finding one in my budget in decent shape is getting harder and harder.

GanChan
Nov 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Wow, these things seem to go forever. I'm kind of amazed that my 7-year-old iBook seems to just keep going without any problems (maybe one corner of the screen is a little darker than the rest, but it isn't noticeable 99 percent of the time). I've decided to max out the RAM in the hopes of getting one more year out of it while I save up for a new Macbook. It slows down when it tries to multitask (maybe the new RAM will help), but as a light-duty mobile office machine it makes a perfectly decent backup to my Intel Mini.

Low end Mac frequently posts articles from people from still use and love their Pismos!...

SkyBell
Nov 11, 2010, 06:15 AM
I used a 1.33 GHz iBook G4 with 1.25 GB RAM as my main machine for over a year, without any complaints.

Been using a 1.42 GHz eMac with only 512 MB RAM as my main machine for over a year now, no complaints

It's definitely doable. :)

PowerGamerX
Nov 12, 2010, 10:41 AM
Honestly, just buy a new Windows computer. Sure it isn't a Mac, but Windows 7 is a very good OS. There are some Linux distro's that I wouldn't mind using either as they have come into their prime.

longwood
Nov 12, 2010, 03:54 PM
Also you should reinstall your OS longwood if your MacBook is as slow as your PowerBook...

It's not that my MacBook runs slow, my PowerBook just runs fast. And OSX is not like Windows were reinstallation makes the computer run faster.

PowerGamerX
Nov 12, 2010, 03:56 PM
It's not that my MacBook runs slow, my PowerBook just runs fast. And OSX is not like Windows were reinstallation makes the computer run faster.

Thats an odd blanket statement. As in my experience, when my Mac gets slow, if I reinstall, it seems to make it faster.

iboost79
Nov 15, 2010, 12:09 AM
I was in the same position as the OP. I have a 2009 13" 2.26 C2D MBP and wanted a second machine for the wife. I was thinking it would be a temporary solution until the next iPad release. I ended up buying a $220 PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM. This is thing is so slow, but it's only purpose was Internet. It took me 2 hours just to upgrade Tiger to Leopard. I'm debating whether to spend the extra $40 on a 1GB stick of RAM because I can't load up some of the websites in decent time.

Jony Mac
Nov 15, 2010, 02:53 PM
I was in the same position as the OP. I have a 2009 13" 2.26 C2D MBP and wanted a second machine for the wife. I was thinking it would be a temporary solution until the next iPad release. I ended up buying a $220 PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM. This is thing is so slow, but it's only purpose was Internet. It took me 2 hours just to upgrade Tiger to Leopard. I'm debating whether to spend the extra $40 on a 1GB stick of RAM because I can't load up some of the websites in decent time.

Thats what I'm afraid of...getting something like that, that will be real slow. I wonder if 1GB of RAM would help.

Epsilon88
Nov 15, 2010, 02:56 PM

I think you'll notice a tremendous improvement with the extra RAM. I have a 1.5 ghz with 1.25 mb of RAM, and the loading times for the Internet are great.

666sheep
Nov 15, 2010, 03:17 PM
I ended up buying a $220 PowerBook G4 12" 1.5GHz with 512MB RAM. This is thing is so slow, but it's only purpose was Internet. It took me 2 hours just to upgrade Tiger to Leopard. I'm debating whether to spend the extra $40 on a 1GB stick of RAM because I can't load up some of the websites in decent time.

You can't expect too much when you're running Leopard on machine which has minimum required RAM :)

molala
Nov 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
Agree with previous poster who said not to spend more than $300 on it. It isn't just the limitation with flash, usually the screen is dimmer on these older PowerBooks, plus it's expensive to replace the battery. You might be lucky and find a good one, but you might find your wife just borrowing your MB/MBP more often because the experience is just way better.

If you do get a PB, stick to OS10.4 Tiger. It will have to run older versions of Safari and Firefox under that OS, but in my experience there was no speed or stability advantage (quite the opposite especially under 1GB RAM) going to Leopard on a G4.

weckart
Nov 15, 2010, 05:38 PM
You will also find that some websites just won't render properly at all. Not easy to find an up to date PPC based browser.

I just hope you weren't swayed by Macgeek18's comments, because his first sentence simply is not true at all. I had the last revision Powerbook and a HP notebook with a 1.6 Pentium M and a similar gpu to the Powerbook. The HP ran rings around the Powerbook in just about every metric. The G3s and G4s were overhyped slow processors.

Jony Mac
Nov 15, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hmmm see I was thinking of the megahertz myth from back in the day when Jobs went on and on about it.

I'm really torn what to do. I cant believe this thread is still going....wow I wish I was on this forum a long time ago.

if I was able to get a iBook/PB 1.3GHz or higher, and 1GB or higher do you think under $200 is worth it? Ugh...so hard. Plus now I realized she has some PC games that wont work on a OS X platform so Im not sure what to do....

Spyharpy
Nov 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
I bought my G4 12" Powerbook 1.33 with 1.2GB RAM brand new 11/2004. I rarely used it as I initially bought it to keep track of clients in a FMPro DB but switched jobs and it sat barely unused for a couple years. I started using it once or twice a week for the last two years and it's been great. The hard drive started acting weird so I replaced it with a 100GB version. Been going strong but the battery was showing it's age and I bought a brand new Apple one about a month ago. I have a nice Brenthaven case for it, the RadTech sleeve and keyboard cover plus a nice aluminum pad with cushion. It's like new. Now I want a MacBook Air as I need an Intel based Mac. I'll order one next week so I'm thinking about parting with it. It's been such a great laptop and not sure to let go of it or just keep it (but for what??? if I'll have a MBA).

longwood
Nov 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
Just another note on the good deals out there - I just picked up a 17" PowerBook 1Ghz/2GB/60GB/SuperDrive for $50!

Granted it's an 7 year old machine, but it still has a lot of life in it.

Jony Mac
Nov 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
Just another note on the good deals out there - I just picked up a 17" PowerBook 1Ghz/2GB/60GB/SuperDrive for $50!

Where did you find that at??? Please let me know!!

longwood
Nov 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
Where did you find that at??? Please let me know!!

I'm in Portland, Oregon. But I'm sure there are deals like this everywhere. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Oh, by the way, it came with an extra battery and an extra power adapter! Wooh! :D

Jony Mac
Nov 17, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm in Portland, Oregon. But I'm sure there are deals like this everywhere. You just have to keep your eyes open.

Oh, by the way, it came with an extra battery and an extra power adapter! Wooh! :D

Yes but where? Was it craigslist, a local store, etc?

longwood
Nov 17, 2010, 05:14 PM
Yes but where? Was it craigslist, a local store, etc?

Oh, you mean that where. I found my 15" and 17" PowerBooks on craigslist. One person didn't even list the 17" separately. They were selling a bunch of computer stuff and there was a small blurb about a PowerBook. So I inquired about it and they said $50. I said I'll take it!

Jony Mac
Nov 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
Oh, you mean that where. I found my 15" and 17" PowerBooks on craigslist. One person didn't even list the 17" separately. They were selling a bunch of computer stuff and there was a small blurb about a PowerBook. So I inquired about it and they said $50. I said I'll take it!

wow awesome

techchallenger
Nov 18, 2010, 03:21 PM
I use my 12" 1.5 GHz Powerbook with 1.25 GB RAM running 10.4 a few times a week and I would certainly not recommend it for anyone that wants to utilize youtube.

iboost79
Nov 19, 2010, 11:13 AM
It's probably worth buying now on Craigslist since I can't even sell my PB G4 12" 1.5GHz in the NYC area for $220. Best offers were coming in at $160. :confused:

molala
Nov 19, 2010, 05:53 PM

That is a super deal. Congratulations!
It would still be a steal at $100.

tom vilsack
Nov 21, 2010, 01:28 AM
Maybe this will help?

I bought a 14.1" ibook,1.42mhz,1 gig mem,60 gig hd,superdrive...craigslist vanc $120 cdn vnc.

-came with tiger dvd's so redid default clean install (min-printer drivers and most lang) and from second dvd installed idvd
-updated,(reboot a few times) also found and installed itune 9.2.1 (google for it)
-dock,scale effects,no mag
-desktop,solid colour
-terminal, turn off dashboard "defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES" "killall Dock"
-spotlight,search results-uncheck all,privacy-add harddrive (prevent checking)
-installed shadowkiller,added to autostart in accounts/login items....note if you installed itunes 9.2.1 helper will be here (remove)
-installed OnyX and turned off journaling info/disk (not sure if really helps speed)...note: lots of tweaks possible with sw so be carefull
-installed latest camino browser,firefox browser,lastest flash

results-find programs run just fine,camino faster then firefox,yet firefox runs flash better (full screen utube ect),wifi is great.....id say it's about same as early p4's with basic video card...or about same as low end atom based netbooks ect

future-will update to full amount of mem 1.5gig,and new ide harddrive and possibly leopard

Jony Mac
Nov 21, 2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks! The only problem is the prices on eBay are going up. I guess people are buying these for gifts too. Some iBooks are going for $200+, and the same goes for PowerBooks $240+....

So now I dont know what to do..

boogers
Nov 21, 2010, 11:03 PM
Alternate route(s).
Buy a book which the owner has problems with boot- apply to PPC types only- and fix it by installing a BSD- Open, Free, Net in that order of choices- or Linux distro on it. Airport/orinoco is supported by Linux. I'm not sure about the BSDs because you may need to build the modules. You'll have to look up what airport extreme uses by doing
dmesg|more.

whitegoodmen
Nov 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Alternate route(s).
Buy a book which the owner has problems with boot- apply to PPC types only- and fix it by installing a BSD- Open, Free, Net in that order of choices- or Linux distro on it. Airport/orinoco is supported by Linux. I'm not sure about the BSDs because you may need to build the modules. You'll have to look up what airport extreme uses by doing
dmesg|more.

I just did this today with an old Dell that my brother just gave me about a month ago. He was sick of it because he could not get it to run right. Windows XP was running on it and the laptop was so slow and crawled to do anything. I reformatted it and it was still slow as a dying dog. I said screw it and burned Linux Mint to a CD and installed it on this old laptop (I only have Linux Mint on the laptop now but if you want to dual boot that's fine too, I just don't need windows for anything.) It is CRAZY how fast this thing is now! It's just as fast as my Desktop with has a lot higher specs.

tom vilsack
Nov 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
jbosi:

update on even better way to turn off spotlight

-open terminal
-cd /etc
-sudo nano hostconfig
-change spotlight to....SPOTLIGHT=-NO-
-ctrl-x
-y
-enter

then in terminal (to get rid of indexing)

-sudo mdutil -i off /
-sudo mdutil -E /

reboot

---------------------

for faster youtube try this

-download vlc player (great os player)
-download mactubes (can also save tubes for latter viewing in vlc player...best for G4 try MP4)
-can use vlc as default player by....click mp4 vid and getinfo,openwith,change all

Jony Mac
Nov 25, 2010, 08:17 AM
Hmm...maybe its not worth getting a PPC. I really dont wanna have to hack up OSX just to get things like YouTube to work... *sigh*

tom vilsack
Nov 25, 2010, 11:51 PM
i was just suggesting ways to make it faster....but a stock install of tiger or leopard and firefox install with lastest flash,and you should be ok...

just make sure the ibook or powerbook you buy has lots of ram (osx love mem)

i have a 14.1" ibook G4 1.42GHz,1 gig mem (512 on board)...i can max out to 1.5,60 gig hd,ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (4X AGP) with 32 MB of SDRAM,tiger 10.4.11 and all updates...lastest firefox/flash and it runs just fine,,,i bought it for $125 on craigs...i would compare it to older p4 or atom netbook for performance.....geekbench pulled about 750

Blue Angels
Dec 5, 2010, 01:13 AM
Sad....

I am going to meet a craiglist seller to buy a 15" PB, and I am a super fan of youtube.... hmmmm....

How bad it is to watch video clips by using PB?

I use my 12" 1.5 GHz Powerbook with 1.25 GB RAM running 10.4 a few times a week and I would certainly not recommend it for anyone that wants to utilize youtube.

motulist
Dec 5, 2010, 01:56 AM
Sad....

I am going to meet a craiglist seller to buy a 15" PB, and I am a super fan of youtube.... hmmmm....

How bad it is to watch video clips by using PB?

Depending on which model of PB you're talking about, then it can be pretty bad. Youyube videos on my aluminum PB 1 GHz g4 PB is pretty much unwatchable. However, there are safari extensions you can add that make youtube load the h.264 video file instead of the flash video file, and then it's fine. As long as you don't care about watching flash videos from sites other than youtube, then you should be fine.

arogge
Dec 5, 2010, 04:01 AM
Youyube videos on my aluminum PB 1 GHz g4 PB is pretty much unwatchable.

The playback performance is better on dual-CPU G4 systems. Without the second CPU, the video playback is very choppy, but the audio is fine.

Blue Angels
Dec 5, 2010, 10:56 PM
True!

I just tried it out today, and just realized it is untolerable to watch video clips. Then I have let the offer go, though the powerbook (15"_80GB_1.5GB) is a super nice machine.

Depending on which model of PB you're talking about, then it can be pretty bad. Youyube videos on my aluminum PB 1 GHz g4 PB is pretty much unwatchable. However, there are safari extensions you can add that make youtube load the h.264 video file instead of the flash video file, and then it's fine. As long as you don't care about watching flash videos from sites other than youtube, then you should be fine.

Jony Mac
Dec 9, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for keeping this thread going. I really didnt think a PB G4 would have that much trouble viewing YouTube and Flash. I wish I would have grabbed the PB G4 1.5GHZ 12" on eBay for $99, but I held off.....my loss. Now they are all like $300 bucks! Sheeesh..

tobiaslaw82
Dec 9, 2010, 01:11 PM
I have a 17inch PowerBook G4 which is like awesome. I have used the Power Mac G4 earlier and then upgraded to the PowerBook G4. The laptop is super sleek and looks awesome, a total 10 on 10 for this stunner....

Jony Mac
Dec 10, 2010, 02:50 PM
Funny...today one of the Vice Presidents gave me a 800Mhz PowerBook G4 Titanium. It has no hard drive and he said it doesn't power on. So I'm actually going to test it out, maybe I can get it working. 800Mhz will be slow, but maybe fun to play with.

Jony Mac
Dec 16, 2010, 08:34 AM
So I created a new topic maybe everyone that helped me out here can take a look at this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1062712

The two PowerBooks wont power on at all. I've tried hitting the reset button for the PMU and saw nothing. I left the charger plugged in for 48 hours, I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that doing this may help recharge the internal battery. That did not help.

I called my local Apple store and they do have a charger there I can test..but I havent made it there yet. I found the replacement battery on eBay for $8.99 so I'm going to order that. I think that's probably my next step.

I think if it does not work the $9 is not a major loss.

Does anyone have any other experience with this type of problem. The battery is really easy to get to on this so it should be a straight forward replacement.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Dec 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
I've been tossing around this idea and wanted to get some other opinions. I currently have a 2009 unibody MacBook, but I am thinking about purchasing a PowerBook G4 for my wife.

She currently has a Dell Inspirion 8600 which the battery is shot on and it is slow. I'd like to get her a Mac, but trying to save money I was looking at PowerBook options. I am aware that upgrading beyond Leopard wont happen and I think I'm okay with that since she still runs XP.

She will use this mainly for email, web, facebook, (facebook games), YouTube, etc. I'm not sure how in depth she'd use iTunes or any of the iLife suite.

For what I mentioned above will a PPC PowerBook handle her needs? I only can compare how these apps / functions run on my current Mac which is far different than a PowerBook.

If you could leave a reply or perhaps a suggestion or two that would be great.

I'm still using a 2004 G4 occasionally, running under Tiger. Works fine to run a simple web browser. I don't depend on it, and, I wouldn't pay much for one, but, the fact is, they still work fine.

Jony Mac
Dec 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah when I got this PowerBook G4 for free I figured I'd like to get it running. Even though its 800Mhz its probably good enough for traveling purposes. I'd rather take that laptop to the airport and on a plane than worry about loosing or damaging my new MacBook.

VanneDC
Dec 16, 2010, 05:17 PM
Interesting.. ive been reading through this thread and people have been swinging specs left right and center, but no one comments on what type GPU is in the MB/PB.. Ive owned 4 different macbooks/Powerbooks and they are all SOOO different.

Even funnily enough, last year i bought my mum for xmas a Powerbook G4, 1.5ghz with 1 gig of ram, and when inquireing about the gpu in the machine the dude didnt even know.. anyways. i thought it would be the same as my other PB 1.5Ghz g4, but it wasnt.. My original PB has a 9700Pro with 128mb ram in it, while this other PB had a 9700(nonpro) with only 64mb ram...

That made a world of difference in usability... The 9700pro had no dramas at all with youtube, wheres the non-pro stuttered like a freaking maniac.. Let alone all the PPC games i have...

so just keep GPU's in mind when looking for a G4 lappy.

Oh and in case your looking at a early macbook... steer well clear of anything with the GMA950 in it.. (funnily enough, the X3100 is much, much better, but still sheit compared to dedicated)

dandeco
Dec 17, 2010, 06:17 PM
Since I still don't have enough to buy a MacBook, I found a great deal on a 15-inch PowerBook G4 and sold my upgraded iBook G3 and got it! This is the high-end 2004 15-inch model if I'm not mistaken; it has a 1.5 GHz G4 processor, 1 GB of RAM (the label said it originally had 512 MB), an 80 GB hard drive, slot-loading SuperDrive, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card with 128 MB of VRAM, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth included, even a backlit keyboard and ambient light sensor!

The PowerBook came with the AC adapter and Apple extension cord for the power brick, as well as a copy of Microsoft Office 2004, and Quicken 2005 for Mac. However, it did not come with an operating system installed, so when I initially turned it on, I was greeted by the "flashing question mark folder" icon. It did come with the original restore disks, but I chose not to use them, as Panther does seem a tad out of date (I've used it before at my college until they upgraded their old PowerMac G4s to Leopard). Instead, I went and installed my copy of Mac OS X Leopard, as well as iLife '09 (I'm just using iMovie HD 6 with it; not sure how iMovie '09 would perform on this machine yet), and Office 2004 and my copy of Final Cut Express 4 (will probably also install Photoshop on it as well).

So far I think it was a pretty good deal (I got it for $170, with free shipping), and it is DEFINITELY better than the old iBook, even probably better than a modern Windows netbook! I'm also somewhat certain that once I upgrade the RAM to 2 GB, this machine will even outperform my eMac! (Strangely, in a freak coincidence my eMac would not connect to the Internet via wireless today, no matter how hard I tried configuring it, so I'm using the PowerBook G4 for most of my tasks (I'm typing on it right now as I speak.) YouTube videos seem to play just fine on it, even better than on my eMac in some cases (I usually just have them set to 360p on my G4s in most cases.)

I was considering one of the early MacBooks with the Core Duo processor and Intel GMA 950, but now I am not sure if that'd be a good idea.

joepunk
Dec 17, 2010, 06:28 PM
Nice buy there dandeco.

I have the same model powerbook and I can't decide if I want to update the ram and hard drive for about $150 or fork over a few hundred dollars plus for the last version the 15" 1.67/Double-Layer Superdrive.

Jony Mac
Jan 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
So the PB G4 800MHz with a Gig of Ram does not run as slow as I thought. I was using it a good bit the last couple days over my 10 month MacBook. Until I find something for this, I think it will be my "travel" machine..

crammedberry
Jan 17, 2011, 12:24 AM
I'm surprised so many of you are having problems running youtube on a G4 1.5+...

I can still run youtube videos on my iBook G3 600... granted, it's 240p, and sometimes it glitches when things get crazy.. but it still runs... I have an iMac G4 that can handle 240p full screen no problem, and 360p inside the window (not full screen)...

A 1.5 G4, being -at least on paper- 50% faster, should theoretically be able to handle something as basic as web browsing without any hiccups, remember that these were top of the line machines at one point... that has to count for something

chrismacguy
Jan 17, 2011, 05:08 AM
I'm surprised so many of you are having problems running youtube on a G4 1.5+...

I can still run youtube videos on my iBook G3 600... granted, it's 240p, and sometimes it glitches when things get crazy.. but it still runs... I have an iMac G4 that can handle 240p full screen no problem, and 360p inside the window (not full screen)...

A 1.5 G4, being -at least on paper- 50% faster, should theoretically be able to handle something as basic as web browsing without any hiccups, remember that these were top of the line machines at one point... that has to count for something

Right, as a test, I grabbed my Photography Laptop, which is a 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz, 1.5GB RAM etcetc (Nice, Near-Maxxed out machine) and 240p plays acceptably, however anything above that it jutters a bit. It certainly cant handle HD. Also, the fact they were top of the line once doesnt count for anything. My PowerMac 8100 was top of the line once, however at 100Mhz, I wouldnt want to use it for anything :rolleyes:

crammedberry
Jan 17, 2011, 10:55 AM
Right, as a test, I grabbed my Photography Laptop, which is a 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz, 1.5GB RAM etcetc (Nice, Near-Maxxed out machine) and 240p plays acceptably, however anything above that it jutters a bit. It certainly cant handle HD. Also, the fact they were top of the line once doesnt count for anything. My PowerMac 8100 was top of the line once, however at 100Mhz, I wouldnt want to use it for anything :rolleyes:

One thing I noticed was when I had leopard on my iMac, it couldn't even do 240p... and with tiger it can do 240p perfectly, and even 360p in some cases... leopard seems to be a huge drain on the system

There's also a big difference between a PM 8100 and a 1.67 G4, all I'm saying is... I can still use old windows laptops to do something as rudimentary as web browsing and watching a few crazy videos, not that I live on youtube, but it's a good capability to have. I don't have a later PowerBook so I can't verify all this, but it still stuns me to learn that they can't play 360p videos acceptably...

chrismacguy
Jan 17, 2011, 12:03 PM
One thing I noticed was when I had leopard on my iMac, it couldn't even do 240p... and with tiger it can do 240p perfectly, and even 360p in some cases... leopard seems to be a huge drain on the system

There's also a big difference between a PM 8100 and a 1.67 G4, all I'm saying is... I can still use old windows laptops to do something as rudimentary as web browsing and watching a few crazy videos, not that I live on youtube, but it's a good capability to have. I don't have a later PowerBook so I can't verify all this, but it still stuns me to learn that they can't play 360p videos acceptably...

Well mine is running 10.5.8 and runs it ok. And I know there is a big difference between the 2, but it was just to make a point about being top of the line counting for nothing.

coupdetat
Jan 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
Well I didn't read the whole thread, but don't swap a Pentium M for a G4 if you're mainly concerned about performance! The Pentium M will stomp all over the G4 when it comes to teh snappy. It is the parent of the Core architecture.

chrismacguy
Jan 27, 2011, 03:14 AM
Well I didn't read the whole thread, but don't swap a Pentium M for a G4 if you're mainly concerned about performance! The Pentium M will stomp all over the G4 when it comes to teh snappy. It is the parent of the Core architecture.

1) "teh snappy" - If this has suddenly become english im changing languages to something coherent, like C.
2) It wont stomp all over it. Their completely different architectures, and just cos its a parent doesnt mean its as good. Next youll be claiming that because PII is a distant relative of the Core Architecture it must stomp over the G3, which it really really just doesn't - and you have to remember the Pentium M is massively held back by Windows.

mabaker
Jan 27, 2011, 05:14 AM
the problem with youtube is that they have changed the encoding algorithm in favor of the Intel architectures.

Try to go on your PB 1.5 to http://exposureroom.com/ and you will be enjoying much higher quality FLASH video than you ever have on crappy youtube. Running nicely.

It's all in the codecs. Google just like Adobe has been trying to screw Mac users and ppl even didn't notice it.

coupdetat
Jan 27, 2011, 10:27 AM
Sorry, but you've been drinking too much kool aid if you think a Pentium M is slower than a G4. The P-M still a very good processor that can run Windows 7 with good responsiveness. I'm a PowerPC lover, but definitely not for their performance. I just love the old Apple designs for their personality and reliability. Are you going to try to tell me next that a Core 2 Duo in a Mac is faster than one in a PC? Because I've heard Apple Store staff try to pass that one off on unsuspecting customers.

chrismacguy
Jan 27, 2011, 10:41 AM
Sorry, but you've been drinking too much kool aid if you think a Pentium M is slower than a G4. The P-M still a very good processor that can run Windows 7 with good responsiveness. I'm a PowerPC lover, but definitely not for their performance. I just love the old Apple designs for their personality and reliability. Are you going to try to tell me next that a Core 2 Duo in a Mac is faster than one in a PC? Because I've heard Apple Store staff try to pass that one off on unsuspecting customers.

Funny how Ive got a 1.7Ghz Pentium M sat next to a PowerMac G4 Dual 867 (So similar ish Mhz ratings here if we add it all up), same RAM (1.5GB), same HD Space (160GB), the Pentium M is running XP Pro, the G4 10.4.11 (So similar OSes in terms of release date as Ill count XP SP2 as another release as it really was in-effect XP R2). Im saying my G4 is faster than the Pentium M for just about anything, the 1 exception is Youtube (Other Flash is just fine. Youtube doesnt enjoy it for some reason). Especially when it comes to video encoding (Final Cut Express vs Sony Vegas - Final Cut kicks butt on PowerPC (pre v7 that is)). There, example of a Pentium M being MASSIVELY slower than a G4. (The G4 is 3 years older incidentally being 2002 vs 2005). Im not saying that the Architecture changes between Mac and PC, which it doesnt, but the OS certainly helps make the Mac feel faster, work better and speedier, and its more capable (It also crunches data faster and compiles java about twice as fast). It doesnt help that Windows 7 is u-g-l-y on an older GPU, but OS X still looks good on a 32MB Nvidia GeForce 2 - try making Aero like that, it really wont. Leopards UI works just fine however.

macgeek18
Jan 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
PowerBook G4's are still worth buying. I just bought a TiBook 867 and am waiting for it to be delivered. I agree with Chris, the G4's are faster in almost everyway than a Pentium M. My gf has one in her laptop and prefers to use my 867 PM G4 over it when she's here because it's just better and faster as she says. And her laptop has twice the RAM of the PM.

el-John-o
Jan 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
Funny how Ive got a 1.7Ghz Pentium M sat next to a PowerMac G4 Dual 867 (So similar ish Mhz ratings here if we add it all up), same RAM (1.5GB), same HD Space (160GB), the Pentium M is running XP Pro, the G4 10.4.11 (So similar OSes in terms of release date as Ill count XP SP2 as another release as it really was in-effect XP R2). Im saying my G4 is faster than the Pentium M for just about anything, the 1 exception is Youtube (Other Flash is just fine. Youtube doesnt enjoy it for some reason). Especially when it comes to video encoding (Final Cut Express vs Sony Vegas - Final Cut kicks butt on PowerPC (pre v7 that is)). There, example of a Pentium M being MASSIVELY slower than a G4. (The G4 is 3 years older incidentally being 2002 vs 2005). Im not saying that the Architecture changes between Mac and PC, which it doesnt, but the OS certainly helps make the Mac feel faster, work better and speedier, and its more capable (It also crunches data faster and compiles java about twice as fast). It doesnt help that Windows 7 is u-g-l-y on an older GPU, but OS X still looks good on a 32MB Nvidia GeForce 2 - try making Aero like that, it really wont. Leopards UI works just fine however.

You can't "add" clock speed with multiple cores. It's just a two lane highway, so it's still two cars going 60, not one car going 120. So no, that's not a fair comparison. Yes they can carry more data at a time, but the data moves just as slow. In fact, even NOW little software takes advantage of multiple cores/CPU's. It's cache size and improved memory that has really changed the game for speed, not more and more cores. A dual 867MHz CPU is two 867MHz CPU's, not equal to one 1.6GHz CPU.

chrismacguy
Jan 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
You can't "add" clock speed with multiple cores. It's just a two lane highway, so it's still two cars going 60, not one car going 120. So no, that's not a fair comparison. Yes they can carry more data at a time, but the data moves just as slow. In fact, even NOW little software takes advantage of multiple cores/CPU's. It's cache size and improved memory that has really changed the game for speed, not more and more cores. A dual 867MHz CPU is two 867MHz CPU's, not equal to one 1.6GHz CPU.

In effect your supporting my argument, as by your method it should be slower. I knew this and picked it on purpose, as its giving Windows the most favourable environment I can that can still be relatively "fair". Even in single-core tasks, such as simple Browsing and uni-tasking my Dual 867G4 is faster than a 1.7 Pentium M. I picked this as quite simply - it shows that even with the Mac at a HUGE disadvantage it still beats the pants off a Pentium. If I do a "fair" by your methods comparison, and put my PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz against a 1.7Ghz Pentium M, the difference is astronomical. My PowerBook can do everything I throw at it, from Final Cut to Mathematica, at least twice as fast as the Pentium. There, as direct a comparison as its possible to do really (It has a smaller 80GB HD, but identical RAM, and the CPU is 33Mhz slower (1,667 vs 1700) in the PowerBook. Happy with that one? :cool: )

amoda
Jan 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Totally unscientific, but I just bought a 12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz G4/1.5GB ram and I'm loving it. Yeah, it's no speed demon but I was quite surprised by how snappy it is. It takes a minute to do what my unibody can do immediately, but it's still perfectly usable for things such as word, email and light internet browsing (i.e no YouTube).

Considering their low price (I picked mine up for $140 shipped) they're definitely worth it. I consider my 12" an iPad competitor at 1/5th to 1/8th the price.

Jony Mac
Jan 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
I'm really surprised how my 800Mhz G4 PowerBook runs. Sure its not super fast on flash websites, but as a spare backup laptop it works pretty well.

cootersgarage6
Feb 8, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, it will be good for storing things that you don't want to store on your other Macs, so that you will save storage. You can also use it to test programs and other things Like that. Other than that, once OSX Lion comes out this summer, it's going to be worthless in terms of being into-date. This is because Leopard is the Minimum requirements for programs now, when Lion comes out, snow leopard will be the new min.

GGJstudios
Feb 8, 2011, 11:03 PM
Other than that, once OSX Lion comes out this summer, it's going to be worthless in terms of being into-date. This is because Leopard is the Minimum requirements for programs now, when Lion comes out, snow leopard will be the new min.
That's not true. The minimum requirements for apps is not automatically changed with the release of a new OS, and Leopard is not the minimum requirement for many apps. There are hundreds of apps running on current Mac OS X with minimum requirements of 10.4 or later. The introduction of Snow Leopard didn't change that, any more than the introduction of Lion will change that.

mabaker
Feb 9, 2011, 05:35 AM
You all should read this:

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/11mt/patting-mac-os-9.html

Mac OS 9. On a PowerBook. :)

Some ppl fail to imagine that the PowerBook is still a full fledged computer that can be used to its full potential still in 2011. Even with Mac OS 9.

chrismacguy
Feb 9, 2011, 05:49 AM
You all should read this:

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/11mt/patting-mac-os-9.html

Mac OS 9. On a PowerBook. :)

Some ppl fail to imagine that the PowerBook is still a full fledged computer that can be used to its full potential still in 2011. Even with Mac OS 9.

Or even my PowerBook 1400/133 and PowerMac 8200/120.... (Rocking Mac OS 7.6) - I use it for some really, really, really old Math software that I haven't bought the replacement for, and to use some of my prehistoric software (read games))

mabaker
Feb 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
Or even my PowerBook 1400/133 and PowerMac 8200/120.... (Rocking Mac OS 7.6) - I use it for some really, really, really old Math software that I haven't bought the replacement for, and to use some of my prehistoric software (read games))

Exactly! Word processing, old software that runs circles around the new bloated versions - that is why these good old mac are still good for! :D

The best thing is, majority of ppl who buy current generation MacBooks will never use them to their 100% potential. Slower machines with less resource hogging systems get the very very same results with less.

MacHamster68
Feb 9, 2011, 09:41 AM
exactly what i always say, you just dont need for example Ms office 2008 or 2011 to write some letters or spreadsheets it can still be done with claris works and you dont need a intel i7 for that purpose
if you run a Mac with the software developed at the same time you get real performance , today's software might look nicer (beauty is always in the eye of the beholder )and maybe offers more features , but be honest how often do normal people use these added features , and the bloated GUI's of some apps today are really only GPU /CPU and ram hogging without having any purpose

i like to run OS9 and use claris works 4 on my iMac G3 to do nearly all my office work , its still up to the job ,even that development has stopped already before my iMac's G3 600/700 had been build , and office task have not changed in the last 10 years and letters are still written on din a4 paper ;)
i have office for mac 2004 too and it too works perfect on the same G3 iMac's , so for that kind of work i do not need a faster Mac

and there are a lot more apps available that work as good today as they did 10 years ago
i mean take photoshop LE for OS8 and the photoshop 10 for OSX.6 , what has really changed that is important for user x who wants to make some holiday pics look a bit better
ok i only can speak for myself , but i like the simplicity of the old apps , where you dont need to read a manual bigger then the novel war and peace from tolstoy
and wasn't that the big selling point of Mac's once, the simplicity of use?
and the question we read often "how do i do this " proves even OSX gets more complicated with every release ,as more and more features which most dont even know about or might ever use are getting added
and for all who think playing youtube videos is the most important thing you can do on a computer ...get a life
youtube works well on the same iMac g3's above just not at full screen and 1080 p , but most content in youtube is not even worth looking at 240p (thats what i get on the g3's in the window )it might be funny some content , at times even informative , but it wont justify to buy a 27" iMac only to watch it at 1080p

macgeek18
Feb 9, 2011, 02:41 PM
Exactly! Word processing, old software that runs circles around the new bloated versions - that is why these good old mac are still good for! :D

The best thing is, majority of ppl who buy current generation MacBooks will never use them to their 100% potential. Slower machines with less resource hogging systems get the very very same results with less.

Or people like me who buy an 06 MBP as an upgrade to his 2001 PB G4 and 2002 PM G4. :D I don't need an i5 or i7, I just need something dual core with more power than my 867 PB and PM. :D

chrismacguy
Feb 9, 2011, 02:50 PM
Or people like me who buy an 06 MBP as an upgrade to his 2001 PB G4 and 2002 PM G4. :D I don't need an i5 or i7, I just need something dual core with more power than my 867 PB and PM. :D

To put this in context for myself - I have a Mac Pro because it speeds up what I do, so I get it done faster, however most of my video editing would be perfectly possible on a AMIGA VideoToaster, although I wouldnt like to do it as it would be slower, it would still work. However for most of my office tasks I still use ClarisWorks 4 on that PowerBook, and then zap it across to my Mac Pro and use AppleWorks 6 and the iWork to shift it to something I can share/usefully distribute.

MacHamster68
Feb 9, 2011, 03:05 PM

thats fair enough and logical , there are tasks that just go easier and a bit quicker on a dual core , that what i have my iMac core duo 1.83 for , plenty fast enough , so no need to spend thousands on something which i might not even use to its full potential , i still do all the dvd ripping on my eMac's to get my whole dvd collection on hdd's and i do cut some tv stuff too on them with final cut pro , my iMac g3's are for office work , my powermac g4 's are for photoediting , , yes i am a collector , but i dont want them only to stay around in shelf's and collect dust , after all they had been build to work , so everyone of my Mac's gets his fair share of work to do , and it makes fun to see that they are still up for the job and are not underpowered
even a 10 year old computer can do things others need a i5 for and have the opinion a 10 year old computer is just old useless electronic waste and should have been on the dump 5 years ago,just because it cannot run the latest version of microsoft office and cant run windows 7:eek:
after all it's a Mac not a pc :p