Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
A tear of pride, to be clear.

With all the so-called new acceptance of the 2010 MBA, I have been feeling a bit of at odds.

On one side, I would like to feel elitist and say, "Ha! I had it when no one understood it!"

On the other, it is really just a much better machine now, so I guess the mass acceptance is justified in some ways.

But more importantly, I guess, the world is simply just better prepared for it now - and I think the iPad does have a lot to do, with what people expect portables should and should not do. Notice the lack of hoopla surrounding the absence of the optical drive today compared to when the first revs came out.

Still, here I am, looking over at a new MBA across from me at the coffee shop. I look at my "slow, overheating" old one, and I know we're thinking the same thing: "Ah, kids..."

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
On one side, I would like to feel elitist and say, "Ha! I had it when no one understood it!"

Meh, don't do that. People will come back at you with some really good comments on how bad you got ripped off for buying that thing for close to 2 grand : p

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Count me among the "original" MacBook Air owners. I purchased an original 1.8GHz HD model in February 2008, sold it and bought a 1.86GHz SSD in November of that year, and have just ordered a 2.13GHz 13" with 4GB.

I had used a Mac (running System 7.6) when I started my first job, and purchased an iBook for my mother in 2002 (since upgraded to a Core Solo MacBook and now a MacBook Pro), but the original Air was the first Mac I'd actually purchased for myself.

Sure, it was underpowered (though I was upgrading from an aging single core Pentium M Windows XP notebook), but I had always liked "subnotebooks" and the original Air was the best designed one to that date. The fall updates were a real leap forward, since the SSD dropped in price considerably (and doubled in size), and Apple managed to cram the nVidia graphics into it. Although it's long overdue, the latest generation appears to be another significant leap forward.

While I'll miss the exclusivity I've enjoyed over the past 2.5 years, I'm happy to see that Apple stuck with the concept even after the first models didn't meet sales expectations. As it has in so many other markets, Apple's entry also opened the door to competing designs. While Air wasn't the first subnotebook by any stretch, it was the first that truly had an elegant design. I don't think we'd have seen a Dell Adamo or Acer Timeline series if not for the Air.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
The Rev A HDD was my first Mac. It is what brought my attention to the entire Mac computing platform. For that, I owe Apple another Air purchase tomorrow when I can get to the mall.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
A tear of pride, to be clear.

With all the so-called new acceptance of the 2010 MBA, I have been feeling a bit of at odds.

On the other, it is really just a much better machine now, so I guess the mass acceptance is justified in some ways.

But more importantly, I guess, the world is simply just better prepared for it now - and I think the iPad does have a lot to do, with what people expect portables should and should not do. Notice the lack of hoopla surrounding the absence of the optical drive today compared to when the first revs came out.

Still, here I am, looking over at a new MBA across from me at the coffee shop. I look at my "slow, overheating" old one, and I know we're thinking the same thing: "Ah, kids..."

So you understood you took it in the shorts buying a $3,000 machine that had laughable performance, heat problems, hinge problems and an overall mess in design and performance. Ah.. memories!

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I spent $3000 on that first generation POS. It wasn't just underpowered, it was criminally underpowered. That was when I realized that Apple is run by a bunch of arrogant crooks.

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My baby's all grows up. He grows up and he grows up and he grows up!

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010

I spent $3000 on that first generation POS. It wasn't just underpowered, it was criminally underpowered. That was when I realized that Apple is run by a bunch of arrogant crooks.

I had high hopes for the first one too.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
So you understood you took it in the shorts buying a $3,000 machine that had laughable performance, heat problems, hinge problems and an overall mess in design and performance. Ah.. memories!

If it wasn't for early adopters, the current mature Airs wouldn't exist.
They could say they understood the "big picture" behind this project, despite all the initial isssues.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
It only brings tears to my eyes because I just purchased my 2.13GHz/2GB/SSD 2009-model less than a month ago! Now they release brand new ones and mine is outdated and the resale value has gone down $500. THAT makes me want to cry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.