Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Some real nice deals on pricing & promotions at MacMall. Navigate to MBA page then and then click on "special offer" link at the "Additional Macbook Air Models" chart towards the bottom of the page.

*FREE OVER NIGHT FED EX on all MBA orders
*FREE Parallels Desktop 6.0 when purchased with Apple computer after mail-in rebates. Combine this $60 MacMall mail-in rebate and the $20 mfr. mail-in rebate for a total of $80 rebate. Offer good through Oct 31 2010 11:59PM PST.
*FREE HP D110a Photosmart All-in-One Printer when purchased with Apple computer after mail-in rebates. Combine this $49.99 MacMall mail-in rebate and the $40 mfr. mail-in rebate for a total of $89.99 rebate. Offer good through Oct 31 2010 11:59PM PST.
*SAVE $30 on MobileMe when purchased with Apple computer after mail-in rebate. Offer good through Jan 04 2011 11:59PM PST.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Is MacMall tax free?
It is unless you live in their home states, California and Tennessee.

Oh, and don't use the OP's link. He has not directly linked to MacMall. He's using an affiliate link that gives him credit for the referral and makes him money. Which is against the rules of MacRumors.

We're not here for you to make money from, OP.

(I was wrong about the above. MR added the affiliate link, not the OP. I apologize to itommyboy.

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
It is unless you live in their home states, California and Tennessee.

Oh, and don't use the OP's link. He has not directly linked to MacMall. He's using an affiliate link that gives him credit for the referral and makes him money. Which is against the rules of MacRumors.

We're not here for you to make money from, OP.

Not really sure where you get off of such accusations, but it is in fact Mac Mall's link. And no, I don't get paid for you guys clicking on it nor would I roll that way if I could. :( Geesh try to help some fellow :apple:seeds out and this is the thanks a guy gets.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
I think MR automatically points it towards a referral link. Not sure, but there are sites that do that.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Macmall is full of crap....they will call you to "VERIFY" the order and then try to sell you all kinds of crap. Then they will hang up with you and then call you back saying they forgot to ask you something and try to sell you more crap, and I even had it happen a third time. Forget them, I would just buy from Amazon, cheaper, no tax, no shipping, and most of all, NO PHONE CALLS! Plus Amazon has easier credit standards if you want to finance...

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Macmall is full of crap....they will call you to "VERIFY" the order and then try to sell you all kinds of crap. Then they will hang up with you and then call you back saying they forgot to ask you something and try to sell you more crap, and I even had it happen a third time. Forget them, I would just buy from Amazon, cheaper, no tax, no shipping, and most of all, NO PHONE CALLS! Plus Amazon has easier credit standards if you want to finance...

I'm bummed and surprised to hear this. I've dealth with them numerous times and have never experienced what you describe. That being said if I did I would walk away and never look back as well.

And no I'm not defending MacMall nor do I work for them or am I affiliated with them. I was just trying to pass on what seems like some good deals for some people. I am in all honesty though a bit on the defensive side thanks to earlier posts, as any of the intelligent people around here might assume. Oh well my karma is good, this much I know. ;)

jamesta1

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Is MacMall tax free?

Yes, except in states where they have a presence, including warehouses. I found this out after being very excited about a MBA 13/4/128 for $1350 shipped overnight... +$110 state sales tax so I just bought straight from Apple.

Yeah they are pretty pushy, when the new MBA was first listed on their site the 4GB RAM upgrade cost was $400... knowing this was crazy I called them. I must not have gotten the brightest salesman because not only was he sure that was the price, he still tried to convince me why it was cheaper to buy from them and go ahead and place the order right now. I likely won't deal with them again based on how pushy their phone people are.

gammaknife

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Wow I'm bummed to hear this. I've dealth with them numerous times and have never experienced what you describe. That being said if I did I would walk away and never look back as well.

And no I'm not defending MacMall nor do I work for them or am I affiliated with them. I was just trying to pass on what seems like some good deals for some people. I am in all honesty though a bit on the defensive side thanks to earlier posts, as any of the intelligent people around here might assume. Oh well my karma is good, this much I know. ;)

I have just been dealing with them since the last 3 hrs. they have cancelled my order once, put 3 holds on my credit card for a computer. their customer service is arrogant with a don't care attitude. geez what a customer service:( Amazon is amazing compared to them:cool:

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I have just been dealing with them since the last 3 hrs. they have cancelled my order once, put 3 holds on my credit card for a computer. their customer service is arrogant with a don't care attitude. geez what a customer service:( Amazon is amazing compared to them:cool:

Go Amazon...if there are any issues at least amazon is competent in how they resolve....

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Yes, except in states where they have a presence, including warehouses. I found this out after being very excited about a MBA 13/4/128 for $1350 shipped overnight... +$110 state sales tax so I just bought straight from Apple.

Yeah they are pretty pushy, when the new MBA was first listed on their site the 4GB RAM upgrade cost was $400... knowing this was crazy I called them. I must not have gotten the brightest salesman because not only was he sure that was the price, he still tried to convince me why it was cheaper to buy from them and go ahead and place the order right now. I likely won't deal with them again based on how pushy their phone people are.

Same story. I was happy with the order until I got to the checkout page. Saw the tax and got it from Apple instead. Fast shipping, im pretty happy with it and I got that free wireless printer (which I can't figure out how to install drivers for).

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I also recommend people stay away from MacMall. I have dealt with their shady practices in the past, and I don't trust them one bit. They are low down dirty scum for the numerous practices that they continually do to try to push sales, overcharge, and generally screw buyers. High pressure, no good, and dirty tactics over and over again. STAY AWAY! It is better to go anywhere else... Amazon is great, Apple is great, and I am sure there are others, but never use MacMall.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
i ordered an Apple 27 LED from MacMall recently without any issues.

Also have a custom ordered 11" MBA on order.

Living in WA states means Amazon is taxed. For me, MacMall is the best deal by far and worth the small additional risk. Sure, when I called about my order they asked if I wanted to add a bunch of stuff. I just said no.

What are the advantages for me? No sales tax, a small discount off of retail prices, freebies (after rebate) which i can sell, 6% cashback (3% FW + 3% credit card).

Compared to paying a 10% sales tax through Amazon or Apple, MacMall gives me almost a 20% discount on what I would pay through them.

Total no brainer.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
When I lived in the USA, I never had a problem with Mac Mall for what it's worth. And yeah, they do save you some cash over going with Apple directly. Agreed that their customer service is not as good as down at your local Apple Store though, but hey, Apple has the best brick and mortar customer service in the business in my experience.

drvelocity

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
I had to call to verify my Macbook Air order with them since it was for $1700, but they didn't try to upsell anything to me. Their customer service hasn't replied to my email from four days ago asking when the Macbook Air might ship, so I can imagine their CS department might very well suck. Not in a huge hurry though so I'll take the discount.

foltzie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
Darn... I just ordered a 13in MBA with them... They called and tried to upsell me to a MBP, in a rather annoying fashion.

Their "concern" is the shipping timeframe on a 4gb MBA, which may be understanding as I dont quite know what their turnaround with Apple is for BTO machines.

Since it appears they fully charged my card, I'm NOT thrilled thus far. The rebates were rather tempting though.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've only purchased once from MacMall and it was only because I work walking distance from a retail location and they were the only place within miles that had iPad's in stock and it would be a quick in and out purchase.

Even in the store the tried to up sell the crap out of me until I was extremely direct at telling them there was zero chance of it. I also remember some pretty unreasonable terms on the receipt compared to other merchants.

When I'm not buying a refurb directly from Apple, I try to purchase and highly recommend Amazon!

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
This is an interesting topic, as I was talking to my brother (he purchases computer equipment for companies, and then is a consultant. So I always talk to him before making a large purchase ) about buying my air, and I actually had an order in my cart from MacMall (Amazon didn't have any in stock, but I really didn't want to pay tax at the apple store, or Best Buy).

Anyhow, my brother saw the link, and told me that I wasn't allowed to buy from them. He said that he ordered a computer from the last year because it was a good deal. He got the package, and the power brick was the only item in the box. He dealt with them for 5 months to get his money back. From what he said, they admitted that the pricing on the computer he bought was a mistake, and when it made it to shipping they caught it, and couldn't sell him the item for the cheap. So they just took the item out of the box and left the power brick...

That said, I looked around, and found another company to order from, and ended up getting it from B&H who was very responsive, and got me my air in just 2 days. Very happy with my choice. Especially after reading this post.

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
This is an interesting topic, as I was talking to my brother (he purchases computer equipment for companies, and then is a consultant. So I always talk to him before making a large purchase ) about buying my air, and I actually had an order in my cart from MacMall (Amazon didn't have any in stock, but I really didn't want to pay tax at the apple store, or Best Buy).

Anyhow, my brother saw the link, and told me that I wasn't allowed to buy from them. He said that he ordered a computer from the last year because it was a good deal. He got the package, and the power brick was the only item in the box. He dealt with them for 5 months to get his money back. From what he said, they admitted that the pricing on the computer he bought was a mistake, and when it made it to shipping they caught it, and couldn't sell him the item for the cheap. So they just took the item out of the box and left the power brick...

That said, I looked around, and found another company to order from, and ended up getting it from B&H who was very responsive, and got me my air in just 2 days. Very happy with my choice. Especially after reading this post.

Well as the story goes, don't believe everything you hear/read. This thread has turned into nothing more than a majorly over opinionated wall of nothingness. Big surprise for a net forum, I know. For what it's worth though, I try to take responsibility in my posts (most of the time ok...I'm sure you could dig up a few ***** or out of my mouth before I thought about it comments from me in the past no question) especially if I suggest some thing or some place. I rarely suggest companies because what has happened here is usually what happens in any such thread, especially MR.

But I took a chance on linking a reseller that has some really good deals on Macs & Mac stuff in hopes maybe a few, hell even one person can save a few bucks or get a free copy of Parallels or free overnight FedEx or whatever. A place I've used many times over my long years of being a Mac fanatic, and have never once had any issues with them whatsoever. I don't use them exclusively, but I have placed countless orders through them for both personal use as well as for my customers, and MacMall has always been fine by me. Maybe you people who are whining about their phone call follow ups need to man/woman up and firmly say "no just my order will be fine" and not let yourself get upsold or pushed around? Do you think they have "please call us" posted all over their site because they want to chit chat about the weather?

Anyway I'm not all together why I'm here again; I guess it is because I somewhat feel the need to defend, at least from my point of view and experience, my first post as I certainly do not want to steer anyone the wrong way. So here is one guy who also works "in the biz" ~ MCP Systems Engineer & Consultant ~ and is firing off a positive opinion of MacMall. As always, SUUM CUIQUE.

foltzie

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
Well as the story goes, don't believe everything you hear/read. This thread has turned into nothing more than a majorly over opinionated wall of nothingness. Big surprise for a net forum, I know. For what it's worth though, I try to take responsibility in my posts (most of the time ok...I'm sure you could dig up a few ***** or out of my mouth before I thought about it comments from me in the past no question) especially if I suggest some thing or some place. I rarely suggest companies because what has happened here is usually what happens in any such thread, especially MR.

But I took a chance on linking a reseller that has some really good deals on Macs & Mac stuff in hopes maybe a few, hell even one person can save a few bucks or get a free copy of Parallels or free overnight FedEx or whatever. A place I've used many times over my long years of being a Mac fanatic, and have never once had any issues with them whatsoever. I don't use them exclusively, but I have placed countless orders through them for both personal use as well as for my customers, and MacMall has always been fine by me. Maybe you people who are whining about their phone call follow ups need to man/woman up and firmly say "no just my order will be fine" and not let yourself get upsold or pushed around? Do you think they have "please call us" posted all over their site because they want to chit chat about the weather?

Anyway I'm not all together why I'm here again; I guess it is because I somewhat feel the need to defend, at least from my point of view and experience, my first post as I certainly do not want to steer anyone the wrong way. So here is one guy who also works "in the biz" ~ MCP Systems Engineer & Consultant ~ and is firing off a positive opinion of MacMall. As always, SUUM CUIQUE.

I believe what you mean to say is Caveat Emptor.

MacMall is respected enough that it gets cited on several Mac centric cites. So they have pushy sales staff and mediocre customer service. Seems like that puts them on par with Best Buy.

If you as a Mac users are chasing a few dollars, they are a valid option. Kudos for posting a note.

On a side note, despite my buyers remorse, and valid annoyance at charging my card in full, the replied in two hours to my inquiry about my 13 4gb BTO MBA. Said they are hoping to have them in stock and shipped by 11/05. Not bad I suppose, not as fast as Apple, but then again, I didnt buy from Apple. Gives me a week to get my iMac and iPad that the MBA is replacing ready for craigslist/ebay.

gammaknife

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009

If you want to defend macmall coz of your positive experience, thats absolutely fine:cool: go ahead. but calling others whiners or opinionated is uncalled for. this is my first macbook air and this is my first time dealing with macmall. I love amazon for their customer service if you think i don't like anyone;) I have asked them not to call after talking to them over 3 hrs coz of 3 holds on my cc for 1 macbook air. they call me again at 1 or so in the nite( est ), wake me up and wanna sell me something, what can u say:mad:

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
I believe what you mean to say is Caveat Emptor.

What I meant to say is what I said. Feel free to look up the meaning. I would hope at least then you'll realize what it means, how it fits and why I used it. On a side note, the only reason I truly know it is because it's also the name of a poem by one of my all time favorite writers. But keep casting! :rolleyes:

If you want to defend macmall coz of your positive experience, thats absolutely fine:cool: go ahead. but calling others whiners or opinionated is uncalled for. this is my first macbook air and this is my first time dealing with macmall. I love amazon for their customer service if you think i don't like anyone;) I have asked them not to call after talking to them over 3 hrs coz of 3 holds on my cc for 1 macbook air. they call me again at 1 or so in the nite( est ), wake me up and wanna sell me something, what can u say:mad:

You know what Gamma, you are absolutely right! I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong and calling names is usually not me or my style. I got carried away and for that I truly apologize. I also truly hope you get your Air and enjoy the hell out of it. Peace.

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
Just ordered a top spec 13" MBA from them today. Called them twice today to ask when they are expecting to receive the laptops and have them shipping out. Both times got a different CSR and both times they said that they are expecting to get a shipment of the top spec 13" MBA's on Nov 5th.

One CSR tried to sell me AppleCare (he was a little pushy, but I said that I wasn't interested and that was that). Other than that, so far they haven't been a huge pain in the ass like many of you are alluding to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.