Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karupspc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Current setup: 13.3 MBP 2.66 processor, 8GB ram, 160 SSD (Intel)
Looking at: 13.3 MBA 2.13 processor, 4GB ram,

About me: I am self-employed (IT) person. I am on the road about 14-20 days of each month. My current MBP is a workhorse for me. i use it for word processing, internet, email, occassionally run 1-2 Vmware virtual machines for testing but those are either rare or the virtual machine is on for no more than a couple of hours to test application installs, etc. Storage capacity isn't a problem because I carry an external hard drive for those virtual machines. Burning or using DVD isn't a need either. I haven't used the optical drive since months but probably will use it soon for iLife 11 upgrade.

I'm seeking advice if I should make the switch to the new MBA. The number 1 reason probably would be to shed weight although the MBP isn't that heavy anyways. number 2 reason is the higher res screen compared to MBP.

Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
See how your VMs run on your current setup if you reduce their RAM allocation to 2GB, which realistically is all you'll be able to give them on a 4GB machine. If it's too slow for you, then that might not bode well for the Air. If it's OK, then based on the other tasks you described, it should be OK.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
It sounds like the MBA would be a good fit for what you do.

The "cheap bastard" side of me says save your money because your current setup fits your needs and you can always save for the next great thing.

The "loves tech and spending on it" side of me says go ahead and pull the trigger. (Also, you'd have your current MBP as backup).

Regardless of what you do, play with one in the store for extended amounts of time.

karupspc

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Re

Thank you!

After G - I totally agree with your statement on the two sides either to spend for technology or save because it fits.

KPOM - Thanks for the input too. My current VM's I've only allocated 512MB on bare vm. I boot it up, snapshot, install app, test, if it looks good done. Vm snapshot back to original state, turn off. 4GB should be adequate but I'll miss the additional 4!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.