PDA

View Full Version : New to Mac's: eMac G4

hrry
Oct 28, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hi i am going to be purchasing an eMac G4 and as i am new to Mac's was hoping to learn abit about them on here.
1. Could i run Garageband on an eMac and what version?
2. Could i run iMovie?
3. Is OS X 10.5 The latest i can run?
Is there anything else i need to know?

Thanks alot. :apple:

sonofmof
Oct 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
Welcome to the "White Side" (still applies with eMacs)

The G4 eMac was my first mac too.

Leopard or 10.5 is the latest you will be able to run but updates are still regular enough. My Mac Mini still runs this.

iLife 08 ran fine on my eMac (the 1.25G4) and that include GarageBand and iMovie HD.

iMovie HD though is VERY different to use than the current iMovie which had a re-write in iLife '09.

mrsir2009
Oct 28, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi i am going to be purchasing an eMac G4 and as i am new to Mac's was hoping to learn abit about them on here.
1. Could i run Garageband on an eMac and what version?
2. Could i run iMovie?
3. Is OS X 10.5 The latest i can run?
Is there anything else i need to know?

Thanks alot. :apple:

1. Yes, the version that comes with Leopard should do ;)
2. Yes, again, it will come with Leopard.
3. Yup. You'll need 1GB of RAM though. 1.5GB to run smoothly.
4. Try to make it a high end eMac, with 2GB of RAM to run Leopard and iLife smooothly!

Intell
Oct 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
1. Yes, the version that comes with Leopard should do ;)
2. Yes, again, it will come with Leopard.

iLife does not come with Leopard. It is on the reinstallation discs for every Mac or bought separately from Apple.

mrsir2009
Oct 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
iLife does not come with Leopard. It is on the reinstallation discs for every Mac or bought separately from Apple.

True.

Pachang
Oct 31, 2010, 08:38 AM
I guess the only thing I would say is that the next iPad will probably be more powerful than your emac.

I honestly wouldn't get an emac for your main computer. There really is only so much you can do with it. Save your monies.

...If you do insist on getting it, then 10.4 is probably your best option. It will be a bit snappier than 10.5 on the old bugger.

btw I love emacs just not in 2010.

chrismacguy
Oct 31, 2010, 01:53 PM
I guess the only thing I would say is that the next iPad will probably be more powerful than your emac.

I honestly wouldn't get an emac for your main computer. There really is only so much you can do with it. Save your monies.

...If you do insist on getting it, then 10.4 is probably your best option. It will be a bit snappier than 10.5 on the old bugger.

btw I love emacs just not in 2010.

eMacs are perfectly capable. Heck, I still use my 700Mhz eMac G4 remotely for some tasks that cant be done by even my Mac Pro - (Gonna shoot me for needing OS 9? :p ) - Its still a useful computer, and itll run iLife '06 fine :) (I have that version on all my G4s from my G4/450 up, still in full-time use for iMovie and iPhoto).

Pachang
Nov 1, 2010, 10:32 AM
eMacs are perfectly capable. Heck, I still use my 700Mhz eMac G4 remotely for some tasks that cant be done by even my Mac Pro - (Gonna shoot me for needing OS 9? :p ) - Its still a useful computer, and itll run iLife '06 fine :) (I have that version on all my G4s from my G4/450 up, still in full-time use for iMovie and iPhoto).

lol do you cluster them into an iMovie render farm?
The computers were some of the best computers you could get for their time (other than gaming) but I wouldn't suggest buying one today as your first mac as the OP wants to do.

chrismacguy
Nov 1, 2010, 12:43 PM
lol do you cluster them into an iMovie render farm?
The computers were some of the best computers you could get for their time (other than gaming) but I wouldn't suggest buying one today as your first mac as the OP wants to do.

Heh, I dont have an iMovie Render farm. I have a Final Cut Pro one :p - But no, that just includes my Mac Pro, MacBook and Intel iMac - the G4 is 200mi away right now, so I cant include it xD)

dandeco
Nov 7, 2010, 08:25 PM
I have a 1.42 GHz eMac as my main computer, and it works just fine for what I want to use it for. It even runs iMovie '09 just fine (thanks to using a certain hack), but to run iMovie '09 you need an eMac with a Core Image-compatible graphics card. Only the 1.42 GHz eMacs have these.

BTW, iMovie HD 6 is not THAT difficult to learn, compared to Final Cut Pro. But like Final Cut, you'll pick up as you go along. iMovie HD reminds me of when I used Pinnacle Studio back when I was mostly using Windows.

SkyBell
Nov 8, 2010, 01:53 PM
Also use a 1.42 GHz eMac as my main machine, running 10.4. Stock 512 MB of RAM too. And it works really well for me, it handles medium duty internet browsing, iTunes, Audacity, the occasional old game or two really well. I don't think you'll regret buying one, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. :)

MacHamster68
Nov 9, 2010, 02:56 AM
the eMac 1.42 is the one to go for, as its the most reliable of the lot with the better graphics card (ati radeon 9600 with 64 mb vram) and it can take 2 gb ram ,
in my opinion the most underrated Mac ever produced

prss14
Nov 15, 2010, 06:49 PM
The eMac is an amazing machine. I can attest that the 1.42 is the way to go. There is a major difference with the speed bump and the better graphics card. I love mine. I think Leopard is fine. Sure not as fast as my '09 MBP, but for what I want it for it is perfect. I don't know about video editing, though. I think that would be a pretty slow go.