Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I need step by step directions on how to replace the bottom case of a Powerbook 12". My friend damaged his Powerbook 1Ghz a few months back, and purchased a replacement bottom case from pbparts. However, has yet to find any good directions online on how to replace the case. Any help would be appreciated.

The Powerbook is no longer under warranty.

Macuser88

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
joshuawaire,

I don't think its a good idea for your friend to replace the bottom case by himself unless he has some experience take apart of the notebook before. I'm a service technician, I don't found its easy for myself either to replace the bottom case for the first time. (With take apart guide from Apple STEP by STEP instructions). Unless your friend willing take the risk to take it apart without putting it back together.

Good Luck!

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
It's simple, just remove every part of the PowerBook and what is left is the bottom case.

NOT for the feint-hearted or untrained. You may end up with a non-working PowerBook.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
NEENAHBOY said:
Rod,

They actually don't have instructions on how to do the lower case, just the upper.

That's true, but if you follow the instructions for removing the display you've removed the bottom case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.