PDA

View Full Version : Portenzo Case Review

Pages : [1] 2

bthompson
Oct 28, 2010, 08:58 AM
After getting an iPad for "work purposes" from my company, (still trying to figure that one out, but okay!) I have been looking for the perfect iPad case. My company bought us the Apple case, and from the beginning I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, the simplicity of it and the thin design were all a plus, but the material itself scratched easily, was always dirty and I could never find a good way to hold it. Basically, trying to hold it playing a Angry Birds = fail.

So I started looking into book style cases, and was immediately drawn to the Book Book by Twelvesouth. While I LOVED the exterior, I was not a fan of the interior straps that hold the iPad in place as well as the zippers, too much like an old world Trapper Keeper.

So I had a few more options: the DodoCase, the Pad and Quill, Treegloo and Portenzo. I wanted a DodoCase (not really sure why, probably just pure lust) but after reading so many reviews about the quality and the corners needing to be replaced, I took them off my list. I liked the Pad and Quill, but felt it looked too bulky and added too much weight. I was VERY intrigued by Treegloo, simply because of the price. However with no reviews out there, I just didn't want to get something that I knew nothing about.

Enter the Portenzo. After many weeks of searching, I decided on this case, for the style and reported upon quality. While the price was high (I got $6 off so $53 dollars total) I could not be happier. I ordered the case on Monday morning, within three hours I got an email that the case had shipped and I received it Wednesday, incredible!

The quality is EXCELLENT. The outside of the case is a very nice faux leather texture and it simply looks like a book or notebook on my desk. The leather is definitely fake and not the rich, moist leather on a Moleskine, but it's still nice. The iPad fits snugly into the bamboo case, and I love how you can see the whole front of the iPad, nothing covering up a little bit of the edge. I was surprised by how light the case is empty, which is a plus. Don't get me wrong, the whole package is heavier than what I am used to, but I think in a few days, I won't even realize it. Build quality is very good as well, one corner of mine isn't quite flat against the frame but it's not loose and and the whole product feels solid, well built and more expensive that it actually is.

Overall I would highly recommend this case for those of you looking for something stylish and simple for the iPad.

downingp
Oct 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the review. I would have to agree with you, I had a dodocase previously and feel the portenzo case is a far superior product. I would have to say my only concern is that I use a third party headphone and not the apple earbuds and have noticed due to the bamboo surrounding the headphone jack, I am not able to use my headphones. Not sure what to do about that. I sent an email to portenzo to ask if there was any future design changes in regards to this issue or the possibility of a custom order.

Seamaster
Oct 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Just had my first business trip with the Portenzo, and while I thought I might miss the slightly smaller size and versatility of the Yoobao Magic case, the Portenzo proved to be a very satisfying alternative. It's beautifully made and a pleasure to use. Having been through a number of other cases, it's my favourite so far.

prot0type
Oct 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend.

How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?

Higgs1
Oct 28, 2010, 03:36 PM
I'm torn between this and the slim magic too....argh it's a tough choice :-/

joeybuckets
Oct 28, 2010, 08:54 PM
placed my order yesterday and got confirmation mine shipped today!!! :D:D

Seamaster
Oct 29, 2010, 07:38 AM
Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend. How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?

This is the one drawback of this type of case, and affects them all — Dodocase, Portenzo, the lot. There's very little elevation, and what little there is is not very stable. I stick my iPhone underneath instead to prop it up.

okrelayer
Oct 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
I want to get the dodo, but would this be a better option? Overall?

zhenya
Oct 29, 2010, 10:41 AM
I want to get the dodo, but would this be a better option? Overall?

That is certainly the prevailing opinion in this forum at the moment, but afaik, nobody has had the Portenzo case long enough to really put it through the paces, so I'd take those opinions with a grain of salt...

okrelayer
Oct 29, 2010, 10:53 AM
I first had the apple case, currently i use the macally bookstand. But I have been infatuated with the dodo since I came across it, well re- came across it. Its like a love affair at this point. I just want to make sure that love affair last along time!

Sterne
Oct 29, 2010, 09:47 PM
Placed my order this morning, so I hope to see it sometime before next weekend.

How is the case for typing in landscape mode, anyone mind posting a pic?

I find that the Portenzo works well in typing mode. Here is a picture.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1734938&l=2a846fcf16&id=1131617884

prot0type
Oct 31, 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the pic :)

That angle works for me. When I'm out and about Im using a twelveSouth bookbook and I usually just fold the cover back so it's flat.

Can't wait, hopefully it ships tomorrow.

PacMookBro
Oct 31, 2010, 08:21 PM
Portenzo seems to be getting a lot of attention... Great reviews by the previous posters. Has anyone had guts to order the limited ostrich version? Black one is good enough but Ostrich skin looks awesome. I'm just curious. :p

Zman5225
Nov 1, 2010, 12:51 AM
I need a case but I have ghost armor on my iPad. Think my iPad plus ghost armor would fit in this case? I don't want to remove the armor but ive read the tight fit of this case and I'm concerned it won't fit at all. Ant input would be great.

Seamaster
Nov 1, 2010, 04:03 AM
I need a case but I have ghost armor on my iPad. Think my iPad plus ghost armor would fit in this case? I don't want to remove the armor but ive read the tight fit of this case and I'm concerned it won't fit at all.

I doubt it. The fit is exact.

87vert
Nov 1, 2010, 10:39 AM
Portenzo seems to be getting a lot of attention... Great reviews by the previous posters. Has anyone had guts to order the limited ostrich version? Black one is good enough but Ostrich skin looks awesome. I'm just curious. :p

I like the look of the stingray one but too afraid to ask how much. LOL

PacMookBro
Nov 1, 2010, 01:59 PM

It's between 89 and 199. Probably 199 ;) Portenzo is tempting... But, would the next revision iPad change its form (thinner perhaps)?

I'm keeping my iPad naked for now.

Sterne
Nov 1, 2010, 08:08 PM
Stingray is $199, or at least it was when I asked on October 14.

downingp
Nov 1, 2010, 08:11 PM
How come I haven't heard of the Stingray option? Does Portenzo have it on their site with pictures?

prot0type
Nov 1, 2010, 08:41 PM
Stingray is listed among other types in the FAQ section. I think it's one of their custom types that of course cost more, but also take a little longer to make and receive.

Unfortunately, seems I probably won't be seeing my case till next week as it isn't shipping today as I had originally thought or would like it to have. At least that's according to Darin. Blah.

Sterne
Nov 1, 2010, 10:43 PM
How come I haven't heard of the Stingray option? Does Portenzo have it on their site with pictures?

Follow this link and scroll all the way down:

http://shop.portenzo.com/Articles.asp?ID=6

steviemax
Nov 2, 2010, 02:02 PM

I have the Portenzo ostrich skin case. It's awesome. Very well made. I also have a Dodocase. I like both. The Dodo is lighter and, just a bit smaller. The Portenzo is more luxurious and seems to have more structural integrity. The Ipad fits very tightly. In fact, the ostrich exterior is so fantastic looking, I just ordered a Piel Frama notebook style with magnetic closure, with the same (ostrich) material. I haven't had either the Dodo or Portenzo for more than a couple of weeks so, I can't comment on durability but, they both appear to be well made.

omni
Nov 11, 2010, 11:50 PM
Has anyone tried the case that holds the stylus as well? How much bigger does it make the case? I can't get a good feel of it from the pictures.

You said the portenzo is heavier that the dodo? Hmm....by how much?

zhenya
Nov 12, 2010, 09:20 AM
Has anyone tried the case that holds the stylus as well? How much bigger does it make the case? I can't get a good feel of it from the pictures.

You said the portenzo is heavier that the dodo? Hmm....by how much?

I would be interested in hearing the answers to these questions as well.

I just received my Dodocase, and I'm actually quite pleased with it - no quality issues, and the ipad fits very securely. It does make the ipad considerably larger and heavier than the Apple case, but I think I can live with it. The only problem is how to carry my stylus.

Sterne
Nov 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
Zhenya-

Please post back after a couple of weeks and let us know if the corner pads are staying down. My experience is that new corner pads begin to peel up after about 4 days - the pressure that holds the ipad securely in the Dodo pulls the pads downward, and the part of the pad on top of the case eventually pops up.

Now, if they've fixed that problem with a better adhesive or a better design, I definitely want to know. I stopped using my Dodo when I got my Portenzo case, which I love, but I'd love to have the Dodo replaced if they've fixed this defect in the design.

Thanks!

Themanmbh
Nov 12, 2010, 10:26 AM
I received a Portenzo black leather Alano iPad case on Tuesday (11/9/2010). The cover is a single sheet of 4mm to 5mm thick black leather. It is smooth to the touch.

The iPad, once inserted into the new style bamboo frame looks like it is wrapped in a thin picture frame. The pads that grip the iPad are hidden. The fit is tight. There is no chance that the iPad will come out of this thing unless I pry it out. The fit and finish of the case is exquisite. I highly recommend it.

My black Piel Frama iPad case and my Apple iPad case have been relegated to a draw in my desk.

Michael

ksmith80209
Nov 12, 2010, 10:32 AM
I've got both the DODOcase and the Portenzo (non-stylus version), so here's a quick overview of the two...

The Portenzo is very slightly wider — maybe a 1/10 of an inch — wider than the DODOcase. Personally I can't tell much difference in the weight between the two. When I spoke to Darin at Portenzo prior to buying the case, he mentioned that the stylus version is about 1/8 inch wider than the non-stylus version with the weight difference being negligible.

As for the DODOcase quality... I really liked the DODOcase, but had a few issues. First, although I fixed the peeling rubber corner issue with some superglue, it came back a few times and the slight exposed adhesive from the peeling attracted "gunk" which — being a bit of a perfectionist — drove me crazy. Second, on the inside of the DODOCase where the bottom "hinge" closest to the bamboo frame is located, the liner seemed to separate from the case just a bit. Combined with noticeable wearing/thinning of the hinge itself, I was concerned about the durability of the DODcase. By the way, I'm super-careful with my iPad/case so I highly doubt than any of this is "abuse-related." Finally, the cover on the DODOcase doesn't fold back completely. When folded, you still have a approx. 1/2 inch thich "spine" which may bother some people. It wasn't much of an issue for me, but your experience may differ.

On the Portenzo, the first thing I noticed was that it felt really well made. No peeling, obvious attention to detail from the smooth bamboo finishing to the mitred edges to the system to hold the pad in place. All very nice. In fact, I held the two cases next to each other to compare and noticed — which I hadn't before — that many of the bevels/cutouts on the DODOcase weren't even and were a bit ragged looking. Not so on the Portenzo. Again, you might not (I didn't) notice this on the DODOcase unless directly comparing or looking for it, but it's quite noticeable side-by-side. The liner of the Portenzo also seems to be very well-bonded to the case itself — I have no worries about it separating as I noticed on the DODO. Additionally, the cover on the Portenzo folds flat against the back when open vs. the DODO which has that 1/2 spine width. I'm not sure how I feel about this as the result is that when in "typing mode" (i.e. folded into a triangular shape to prop it up) the DODOcase is more stable than the Portenzo.

To summarize, although l like both cases I personally will be sticking with the Portenzo. To me it feels more polished, has more attention to detail, and feels a bit more durable.

JonMPLS
Nov 12, 2010, 10:39 AM
I've got both the DODOcase and the Portenzo (non-stylus version), so here's a quick overview of the two...

The Portenzo is very slightly wider — maybe a 1/10 of an inch — wider than the DODOcase. Personally I can't tell much difference in the weight between the two. When I spoke to Darin at Portenzo prior to buying the case, he mentioned that the stylus version is about 1/8 inch wider than the non-stylus version with the weight difference being negligible.

As for the DODOcase quality... I really liked the DODOcase, but had a few issues. First, although I fixed the peeling rubber corner issue with some superglue, it came back a few times and the slight exposed adhesive from the peeling attracted "gunk" which — being a bit of a perfectionist — drove me crazy. Second, on the inside of the DODOCase where the bottom "hinge" closest to the bamboo frame is located, the liner seemed to separate from the case just a bit. Combined with noticeable wearing/thinning of the hinge itself, I was concerned about the durability of the DODcase. By the way, I'm super-careful with my iPad/case so I highly doubt than any of this is "abuse-related." Finally, the cover on the DODOcase doesn't fold back completely. When folded, you still have a approx. 1/2 inch thich "spine" which may bother some people. It wasn't much of an issue for me, but your experience may differ.

On the Portenzo, the first thing I noticed was that it felt really well made. No peeling, obvious attention to detail from the smooth bamboo finishing to the mitred edges to the system to hold the pad in place. All very nice. In fact, I held the two cases next to each other to compare and noticed — which I hadn't before — that many of the bevels/cutouts on the DODOcase weren't even and were a bit ragged looking. Not so on the Portenzo. Again, you might not (I didn't) notice this on the DODOcase unless directly comparing or looking for it, but it's quite noticeable side-by-side. The liner of the Portenzo also seems to be very well-bonded to the case itself — I have no worries about it separating as I noticed on the DODO. Additionally, the cover on the Portenzo folds flat against the back when open vs. the DODO which has that 1/2 spine width. I'm not sure how I feel about this as the result is that when in "typing mode" (i.e. folded into a triangular shape to prop it up) the DODOcase is more stable than the Portenzo.

To summarize, although l like both cases I personally will be sticking with the Portenzo. To me it feels more polished, has more attention to detail, and feels a bit more durable.

Thanks very much for your detailed comparison! It is interesting that the Portenzo folds back flat. I have a Dodocase, but prefer cases that fold back flat. Just one question--is the overall case much thicker than the Dodocase? I can't tell from the photos I have seen. Thanks!

(PS: Superglue cyanoacrylate is pretty thin. . . try some polyurethane (one brand is called "GOOP") for your Dodocase corners ;))

zhenya
Nov 12, 2010, 10:45 AM
Zhenya-

Please post back after a couple of weeks and let us know if the corner pads are staying down. My experience is that new corner pads begin to peel up after about 4 days - the pressure that holds the ipad securely in the Dodo pulls the pads downward, and the part of the pad on top of the case eventually pops up.

Now, if they've fixed that problem with a better adhesive or a better design, I definitely want to know. I stopped using my Dodo when I got my Portenzo case, which I love, but I'd love to have the Dodo replaced if they've fixed this defect in the design.

Thanks!

Sure. While the revision I have holds the iPad quite securely, I can definitely see that the pads would probably not hold up over time if you remove the iPad frequently. I wouldn't expect to be doing that myself. One possible advantage of the Dodocase design is that the cover tends to rest on the rubber pads, rather than directly on the glass.

Thanks! I really like the fact that the Portenzo can fold back flat - that has taken some getting used to coming from the Apple case. I would also be interested in knowing how thick it is at the spine edge while closed - if you could measure both the Portenzo and the Dodocase, that'd be great!

ksmith80209
Nov 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
I really like the fact that the Portenzo can fold back flat - that has taken some getting used to coming from the Apple case. I would also be interested in knowing how thick it is at the spine edge while closed - if you could measure both the Portenzo and the Dodocase, that'd be great!

The DODOcase is about 1/2 inch thick with the case folded back on the one side while the Portenzo is the thickness of the cover times 2 — I'd guess about an 1/8 of an inch at most — across the whole case. If you want to be able to place the case in portrait mode flat on a table - the Portenzo is the way to go.

edit: When closed, the Portenzo is *very slightly* thicker than the DODO. I think this is due to the slightly thicker construction of the cover on the Portenzo (which I like).

ksmith80209
Nov 12, 2010, 11:18 AM
Superglue cyanoacrylate is pretty thin. . . try some polyurethane (one brand is called "GOOP") for your Dodocase corners ;))

Good idea. I finally got the superglue (gel variety) to work — the problem now is the residual adhesive from the original application by the factory picking up grime.

Sterne
Nov 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
Try isopropyl alcohol and fine grained sandpaper.

TKEik683
Nov 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Any pictures of the Portenzo Alano? Thats the one im really interested in ordering, but there are so few pictures out there!

Im sure when they start officially offering it there will be more info out there, but I dont wanna wait =p

D

Sterne
Nov 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have a few pics of a tan Alano up on Portenzo's Facebook page.

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 12:37 AM
I received a Portenzo black leather Alano iPad case on Tuesday (11/9/2010). The cover is a single sheet of 4mm to 5mm thick black leather. It is smooth to the touch.

The iPad, once inserted into the new style bamboo frame looks like it is wrapped in a thin picture frame. The pads that grip the iPad are hidden. The fit is tight. There is no chance that the iPad will come out of this thing unless I pry it out. The fit and finish of the case is exquisite. I highly recommend it.

My black Piel Frama iPad case and my Apple iPad case have been relegated to a draw in my desk.

Michael

How much was the Portenzo Alano case? Does it still work as two-way (for typing and movie-watching) stand? Any photos would help us, those interested. It looks awesome on the Facebook. Thanks!

TKEik683
Nov 13, 2010, 12:54 AM
I saw those Sterne, they look great! Those were the pictures I was thinking of when I made the post.

Looking for the black or possibly a dark brown leather.

Thanks!

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 01:06 AM
I didn't realize the photo posted by Sterne was of Alano. Looks nice and simple. Can it stand for movie viewing angle? One-piece leather seems too flexible for holding up an iPad.

Themanmbh
Nov 13, 2010, 07:09 AM
How much was the Portenzo Alano case? Does it still work as two-way (for typing and movie-watching) stand? Any photos would help us, those interested. It looks awesome on the Facebook. Thanks!

I am one of the people who rests my iPad on my lap most of the time. For me this Alano is great. It works for me at home (watching movies and surfing the net) and is stately in the workplace (taking notes in meetings).

To answer your questions...
Cost - $89
Movie watching stand - depends on the surface
Typing stand - good
Would I purchase another one? - Yes, I'd like a brown case
The leather - it is very very thick. Thicker than the thickest leather belt that I've ever owned. It is significantly thicker than the leather in my old Coach Beekman briefcase. Flexible or thin are not words that I would use to describe this case.

Like I said before, my black leather Piel Frama is now sitting unused. Same thing for the Apple case.

Michael

Themanmbh
Nov 13, 2010, 07:23 AM
I didn't realize the photo posted by Sterne was of Alano. Looks nice and simple. Can it stand for movie viewing angle? One-piece leather seems too flexible for holding up an iPad.

The Alano in tan leather on Facebook has the old frame. The frame on the Alano that I have has hidden rubber tabs and the bamboo frame is flush to the Ipad once it is inserted into the case. On the Portenzo Facebook page, the espresso and green interior case shows the new frame.

The black leather is very thick and smooth to the touch.. Flexible is not a word that I would use to describe it.

On a smooth table the case is not good as a movie stand (for obvious reasons). On a not so smooth surface, it can serve as a movie stand.

Michael

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 09:38 AM
The Alano in tan leather on Facebook has the old frame. The frame on the Alano that I have has hidden rubber tabs and the bamboo frame is flush to the Ipad once it is inserted into the case. On the Portenzo Facebook page, the espresso and green interior case shows the new frame.

The black leather is very thick and smooth to the touch.. Flexible is not a word that I would use to describe it.

On a smooth table the case is not good as a movie stand (for obvious reasons). On a not so smooth surface, it can serve as a movie stand.

Michael

Good point! I had not realized that the frame had been redesigned until I read your post and checked those pictures on Facebook - the rubber corners are better hidden. I think it's impressive that in just a couple of weeks, Darin has continued to improve the design - not because the owner base is complaining, but because he sees a better way.

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 11:30 AM

Michael

I'm about to post pictures of the Alano in "Movie Mode" on the Portenzo Facebook page - they'll be up momentarily. The case hold this position quite well.

Themanmbh
Nov 13, 2010, 11:50 AM
Good point! I had not realized that the frame had been redesigned until I read your post and checked those pictures on Facebook - the rubber corners are better hidden. I think it's impressive that in just a couple of weeks, Darin has continued to improve the design - not because the owner base is complaining, but because he sees a better way.

I agree with you. Darin is ahead of the curve with his product revisions. He his separating himself from other manufacturers that produce this type of iPad case.

Michael

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 12:50 PM

Michael

Wow the newly revised bamboo frame is high-end. Thanks for the photos on facebook. Kudos to the Portenzo team. They already nailed down the rubber corners and, now the hidden pads! They really do devote themselves to improving the product. He sure is ahead of the curve. My naked iPad might get this Alano coat for this winter! Thank you, Themanmbh and Stern for the quick review. Now... Black or tan... Both look subtle and gorgeous. :p

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 01:07 PM
Wow the newly revised bamboo frame is high-end. Thanks for the photos on facebook. Kudos to the Portenzo team. They already nailed down the rubber corners and, now the hidden pads! They really do devote themselves to improving the product. He sure is ahead of the curve. My naked iPad might get this Alano coat for this winter! Thank you, Themanmbh and Stern for the quick review. Now... Black or tan... Both look subtle and gorgeous. :p

I bought a black one and a tan one - the black is more impressive out of the box, but I love using the tan one and seeing it darken and get more beautiful as I use it.

You can't lose with either color. I have a stack of lesser cases - PD Air, Yoobao Slim, Marware, Dodo - but my case buying habit may be cured; the Alano is that much better.

Wildgift
Nov 13, 2010, 01:48 PM
I just replaced my dodocase with a portenzo and I am never looking back. The portenzo looks great and I'm thrilled with how securely it grips. The dodocase let my iPad hit me in the face too many times and was fraying at the spine.

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 02:51 PM
I bought a black one and a tan one - the black is more impressive out of the box, but I love using the tan one and seeing it darken and get more beautiful as I use it.

You can't lose with either color. I have a stack of lesser cases - PD Air, Yoobao Slim, Marware, Dodo - but my case buying habit may be cured; the Alano is that much better.

I think I'll go with tan for unique look over time. Does the texture of leather seem to absorb moisture (i.e. sweat or tea) easily? Is it easy to clean? Not that I don't like to get it stained and scratched. I am expecting obvious natural wear and tear on light-colored tan.

The dodocase let my iPad hit me in the face too many times and was fraying at the spine.

That's called "DODO-slap." In order for DODO to be qualified as a case, not a bird, it should stop slapping anyone's face. :)

Themanmbh
Nov 13, 2010, 03:05 PM
I think I'll go with tan for unique look over time. Does the texture of leather seem to absorb moisture (i.e. sweat or tea) easily? Is it easy to clean? Not that I don't like to get it stained and scratched. I am expecting obvious natural wear and tear on light-colored tan.

The exterior of the Portenzo Alano is smooth and very easy to wipe clean. The interior is textured but can still be wiped clean. I have the black version so sweat or grease on my hands doesn't really show up on the case. I would think that the tan version would age and darken very nicely with use.

Michael

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 03:28 PM
The exterior of the Portenzo Alano is smooth and very easy to wipe clean. The interior is textured but can still be wiped clean. I have the black version so sweat or grease on my hands doesn't really show up on the case. I would think that the tan version would age and darken very nicely with use.

Michael

Thanks Michael for the quick response. The black one looks nice too. It would always look chic and cannot go wrong in professional setting. Can't decide yet. ;)

Just another question... Does it fold back flat, or comfortably, for iBooks reading?

Themanmbh
Nov 13, 2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks Michael for the quick response. The black one looks nice too. It would always look chic and cannot go wrong in professional setting. Can't decide yet. ;)

Just another question... Does it fold back flat, or comfortably, for iBooks reading?

It does not fold back flat because of the thickness of the leather. However, (refer to Sterne's picture of the Alano in the typing position) you can flip the case around to the thin side which is very comfortable to hold. For a person with big hands like myself, holding the case by the thick side is comfortable to me.

Once you get this case in your hands, I can guarantee you will be very happy with your purchase. I know I am and I plan on ordering an Alano in tan or chocolate.

Like Sterne, I have a couple of cases that I would never have purchased if I had the Portenzo Alano first.

Michael

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 04:11 PM

I haven't spilled anything on my case yet, but I do carry it around and it is darkening pretty evenly. The grain is getting more prominent, too. I think that ink, coffee or tea would stain the case if there was a spill, so if that is a main concern then the black is perhaps a better choice.

I could not decide which I wanted more...so I bought them both. Not sure if he's still doing this, but Darin did extend a little discount for buying two at once when I asked nicely.

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 04:15 PM
It does not fold back flat because of the thickness of the leather. However, (refer to Sterne's picture of the Alano in the typing position) you can flip the case around to the thin side which is very comfortable to hold. For a person with big hands like myself, holding the case by the thick side is comfortable to me.

Once you get this case in your hands, I can guarantee you will be very happy with your purchase. I know I am and I plan on ordering an Alano in tan or chocolate.

Like Sterne, I have a couple of cases that I would never have purchased if I had the Portenzo Alano first.

Michael

It's also comfortable for me, though my hands are not very large. I had to get used to the case retaining the wedge shape when I held it in my lap for reading, but after a couple of days it felt absolutely normal. The Alano leather is softer, easier to grip and more comfortable than the very smooth faux leather Dodo cover.

Michael said it right - once you get the case in your hands, you will be very happy with your purchase.

PacMookBro
Nov 13, 2010, 04:42 PM
It's also comfortable for me, though my hands are not very large. I had to get used to the case retaining the wedge shape when I held it in my lap for reading, but after a couple of days it felt absolutely normal. The Alano leather is softer, easier to grip and more comfortable than the very smooth faux leather Dodo cover.

Michael said it right - once you get the case in your hands, you will be very happy with your purchase.

You guys have convinced me enough and maybe it's time to try out Alano. Back to color choices... Black, tan, chocolate, and any others?

Sterne
Nov 13, 2010, 06:11 PM
You guys have convinced me enough and maybe it's time to try out Alano. Back to color choices... Black, tan, chocolate, and any others?

Those are the current Alano colors - last I heard the dark brown leather was not as thick as the black or tan - I'm not sure if that's still true, but I would ask before ordering it.

I've seen some pictures of a vibrant dark blue lambskin Portenzo - and there's always the Stingray...

Let us know what you end up with!

Batmac
Nov 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to decide between the Alano and the regular Portenzo case. Aesthetically I like them both: the Alano's leather is obviously more luxurious, but the faux leather and cloth has slightly more of a typical hardback bookish look to it. Both very nice.

If anyone has both (or has an Alano and a Dodo case perhaps) can you tell me how similar the two styles of cover are for movie watching? I can see that the Alano works, but does it work less well (on fewer surfaces) in movie mode than the standard cover? If anything the leather looks like it should have better grip, but i got the impression that the Alano is a little less effective as a stand than the original design.

Also, I'd love to see some pictures or read a little more about the regular Portenzo cover folded back flat. That might sway me over the Alano because I use my iPad for reading more than anything else, but I'd like to know if folding the case back flat seems like it might wear down the 'hinge' of the spine. I wouldn't want to fold it back regularly for reading if it felt like it might eventually weaken the case. Does it fold back flat along both sides of the spine, or does it only work with the hinge furthest from the bamboo frame? If you can't picture what I mean, I'm wondering if the spine itself folds away behind the iPad, or if it sticks out beside it while the front cover folds back.

JonMPLS
Nov 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
OK, my dumb question for the day . . . Where is the Alano leather on the Portenzo site? Sorry, just can't find it.

Sterne
Nov 15, 2010, 08:02 PM
I'm trying to decide between the Alano and the regular Portenzo case. Aesthetically I like them both: the Alano's leather is obviously more luxurious, but the faux leather and cloth has slightly more of a typical hardback bookish look to it. Both very nice.

If anyone has both (or has an Alano and a Dodo case perhaps) can you tell me how similar the two styles of cover are for movie watching? I can see that the Alano works, but does it work less well (on fewer surfaces) in movie mode than the standard cover? If anything the leather looks like it should have better grip, but i got the impression that the Alano is a little less effective as a stand than the original design.

I have a Dodo, a Portenzo Wingtip (which is different material than the Portenzo Notebook) and two Alanos. The Alano hold the movie angle the best, then the Wingtip, then the Dodo.

Also, I'd love to see some pictures or read a little more about the regular Portenzo cover folded back flat. That might sway me over the Alano because I use my iPad for reading more than anything else, but I'd like to know if folding the case back flat seems like it might wear down the 'hinge' of the spine. I wouldn't want to fold it back regularly for reading if it felt like it might eventually weaken the case. Does it fold back flat along both sides of the spine, or does it only work with the hinge furthest from the bamboo frame? If you can't picture what I mean, I'm wondering if the spine itself folds away behind the iPad, or if it sticks out beside it while the front cover folds back.

I hold the Portenzos (Alano and Wingtip) in my lap with the spine "out" - not folded flat. The Alano is more comfortable than the Wingtip for reading or playing games with the iPad in the lap - the leather is a really nice material to hold. I definitely think that folding the spine flat would take some force and would weaken the "hinge" for use in typing position.

The Dodo folds flat, but does a poor job of holding the typing position compared with either Portenzo.

There is a picture of my Alano in typing mode on the Portenzo facebook page - that's the same position the case is in when I hold the iPad in my lap.

I hope that helps!

Sterne
Nov 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
OK, my dumb question for the day . . . Where is the Alano leather on the Portenzo site? Sorry, just can't find it.

Not a dumb question at all, because the Alanos are on a page that is not public:

https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iPad%20%20Alano

I think Darin is waiting until he has professional pictures of the Alano to put the link on the main page - I know that he is extremely busy making cases!

I see that the Alanos are $99.99 now - still a great deal; they are superbly made.

JonMPLS
Nov 15, 2010, 08:20 PM
Not a dumb question at all, because the Alanos are on a page that is not public:

https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=iPad%20%20Alano

I think Darin is waiting until he has professional pictures of the Alano to put the link on the main page - I know that he is extremely busy making cases!

I see that the Alanos are $99.99 now - still a great deal; they are superbly made.

wow, thanks!! All I can say is I really hope Apple keeps the next iPad generation in the same size as the current one.

PacMookBro
Nov 15, 2010, 08:28 PM
Those are the current Alano colors - last I heard the dark brown leather was not as thick as the black or tan - I'm not sure if that's still true, but I would ask before ordering it.

I've seen some pictures of a vibrant dark blue lambskin Portenzo - and there's always the Stingray...

Let us know what you end up with!

I am still deciding whether to go with Alano. Black one for me. I have been using iPad naked for months now and I would miss the tactile feel of slim aluminum body. I may not get used to the bulk of anything that wraps it. On the other hand, portenzo or any other case hides iPad in public. This silver gadget SCREAMS iPad! A difficult decision for an iPad nudist...

Does taking in and out of portenzo wear out the pads? Obviously possibly wear out but from experience? Anyone?

All I can say is I really hope Apple keeps the next iPad generation in the same size as the current one.

Safe to be nudist in that respect but, alano is tempting!

Sterne
Nov 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
Does taking in and out of portenzo wear out the pads? Obviously possibly wear out but from experience? Anyone?

I don't think so, but you may want to ask Darin, the Portenzo guy. Certainly the pads are better secured and situated than with the Dodo. But I don't know if taking the iPad out every night and putting it back in every morning may wear out the pads.

zhenya
Nov 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
I have a Dodo, a Portenzo Wingtip (which is different material than the Portenzo Notebook) and two Alanos. The Alano hold the movie angle the best, then the Wingtip, then the Dodo.

I hold the Portenzos (Alano and Wingtip) in my lap with the spine "out" - not folded flat. The Alano is more comfortable than the Wingtip for reading or playing games with the iPad in the lap - the leather is a really nice material to hold. I definitely think that folding the spine flat would take some force and would weaken the "hinge" for use in typing position.

The Dodo folds flat, but does a poor job of holding the typing position compared with either Portenzo.

There is a picture of my Alano in typing mode on the Portenzo facebook page - that's the same position the case is in when I hold the iPad in my lap.

I hope that helps!

When you fold the cover back on your Dodo, it folds completely flat? That's definitely not the case on mine.

I've emailed Portenzo looking for clarification on this, but haven't heard back. My understanding from this thread, though, is that the regular Portenzo will fold back completely flat (I'd love to see a picture of this), and that the Alano does not - it folds back into a raised typing position. Correct?

TKEik683
Nov 16, 2010, 11:32 AM
I think Portenzo Alano it is, but does anyone have any pictures of the Chocolate Alano?

Also, how dark does anyone think the Tan Alano will become?

Dave

Batmac
Nov 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks Sterne. The Alano definitely seems the way to go for my various needs. One last question - being made of real leather, is it significantly heavier than the Wingtip (or Dodo)? I doubt it's an issue if it hasn't been mentioned, but since I hold my iPad freehand most of the time it would be useful to know.

Sterne
Nov 16, 2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks Sterne. The Alano definitely seems the way to go for my various needs. One last question - being made of real leather, is it significantly heavier than the Wingtip (or Dodo)? I doubt it's an issue if it hasn't been mentioned, but since I hold my iPad freehand most of the time it would be useful to know.

It's not heavier than the Wingtip - maybe an ounce (or less) heavier than the Dodo. Not anything I've noticed, carrying or holding the iPad in the Alano.

I have not seen a picture of the chocolate Alano.

Batmac
Nov 17, 2010, 02:05 AM
Many thanks for the useful info - I just ordered an Alano in Midnight Black :cool:

Hopefully I'll get one of the new style frames with the invisible corners. I assume so, since the Alanos are probably all made to order. The new frames look phenomenal.

Sterne
Nov 17, 2010, 06:56 AM
Many thanks for the useful info - I just ordered an Alano in Midnight Black :cool:

Hopefully I'll get one of the new style frames with the invisible corners. I assume so, since the Alanos are probably all made to order. The new frames look phenomenal.

I'm sure you'll get the new frame - Michael posted that his black Alano came with the new frame, and he received it about a week ago.

Enjoy!

tirnszw
Nov 17, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hello there residents of MacRumors, this is my first post on MacRumors! I have been reading your posts quietly and decided to try out Portenzo Alano in Black. Darin has been prompt in customer support and, finally mine is ordered just today. Let the waiting begin... :)

JonMPLS
Nov 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
mmmm black or chocolate . . . black or chocolate . . . .:rolleyes:

tirnszw
Nov 17, 2010, 10:25 PM
mmmm black or chocolate . . . black or chocolate . . . .:rolleyes:

There are no chocolate pics available but it resembles a color of Hershey's chocolate bar according to Darin. You'll get to review it for us. ;)

Portenzo!
Nov 18, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hi all, thanks for your discussion!

We are extremely grateful for your interest and humbled by the outstanding reviews of our Alano. We take extreme pride and joy in our work, and focus every day on making outstanding products.

I'll try to answer a few questions that seem to pop up:

The regular cases:
Yes, they fold flat with the excess being able to show on either the spine side or the open side.

This does NOT apply to the Wingtip, nor the exotics. They do not fold flat because of the properties of the material used. They're spines do not fold more than a 90 degree angle back on itself (typing mode).

The Portenzo Alano:
They are absolutely exquisite, I know, I 'm biased, but it's true. I go back and forth between my Midnight Alano (for dress) and my Composition (for casual), even though I can make any case I want.
The Alano will not fold flat. Personally, I have never found that to be an issue. They fold semi-flat, and because of the way they are made, provide an excellent 'grip' for one-handed use.

They are private order right now because we simply could not keep up with more demand. All of our cases are made by hand, in-house, we don't farm them out.

Midnight and Buck Naked are a bit thicker than the Dark Chocolate. That is just the way we received our order of this leather. Our tannery produces excellent leathers, but they are a bit of a mystery to deal with sometimes.

The Midnight and Chocolate are extremely durable and wipe clean with a damp cloth. I beat the hell out of mine (Midnight Black) and it stays clean as a whistle.

The Buck Naked, on the other hand, is really 'buck naked'! it is a vegetable tanned leather with no dies or topcoats. It will acquire the patina of use with age. You can certainly oil/polish it and slow that process down quite a bit. I recommend leaving it naked until it gets a little 'uniqueness' to it, then use your oil/polish of choice to kind of slow the process.

The corner system:
They will never come loose, they will never wear out.
After a few hours of use, they compress slightly to mold to the shape of the iPad. You can take your iPad in and out as many times as you like.
Our corners are truly a non issue. They only get talked about because other manufacturers cases fail on this point.

Horizontal position?
Yes, you can put any of our cases in a horizontal position. If the surface is too slick for any reason, just use the elastic as a 'catch', as in this photo.

I hope that helps, and thanks again for your input and reviews,

Darin and Team Portenzo!
https://shop.portenzo.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Composition%20iPad%20Case-7.jpg

PieMac
Nov 19, 2010, 09:36 AM
Owned a DoDocase, loved the concept, hated the peeling corners-they really become a nuisance-sold it. I discovered Portezo a few weeks after having my Dodo and knew that would be my next purchase...think I'm going to go for the buck naked Alano...hmmmm...should I order now or wait and see if there's a holiday discount on the horizon? ;)

mdwsta4
Nov 19, 2010, 10:58 AM
am I missing something? Where's this Alano case with naked leather? Where are pics of the clear corners? And what's the new frame style? Why is the cloth interior offered on Kindles not offered on ipads?
You guys have got to do a better job of updating your page!

Portenzo!
Nov 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
am I missing something?

You may have, if you have not read the entire post.

Where's this Alano case with naked leather?
There are no better photos of the Alano series because it is not publicly available yet. It is offered by private order due to demand from my teaser photos on Facebook. (SteveSterne has also posted some great shots of his Buck Naked Alano.) When we catch up on orders, we will have 'proper' photos of the Alano and make the product available on our website. Currently, making sure our production processes run smoothly and without delaying orders is our priority. We feel we almost have it perfected ;)

Where are pics of the clear corners?
There aren't any clear corners, but they are 'invisible', see post below.

And what's the new frame style?
The new frame style includes our new "invisible corners". The corners are slightly lower profile in size, but more noticeably, they virtually disappear when the iPad is installed. The other modifications simply make it more nicely sculpted, but are not really noticeable by the average user.

The invisible corners are showcased on our newest edition, the Composition
https://shop.portenzo.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Composition+iPad+Case

Why is the cloth interior offered on Kindles not offered on ipads?
The Italian cloth interior will become an option on iPad cases at a later date (hopefully within a week or two) There are more factors that I simply can not go into at this time (competitive advantage). Suffice it to say, we have done extensive testing to ensure the right material for the right product. Using the same liner on all cases would be much more cost effective for us, but it has not proven to be the best material for the Kindle. Therefore, the Italian cotton cloth is the default liner for the Kindle cases.

The other product photos have not been updated yet because our first priority is getting your product out to you without delays. We would much rather you get a better product than advertised, than be stuck waiting on it because we are too busy updating our marketing. Production time-lines, quality control, and product improvement come before anything else. All in good time.

We are certainly looking forward to getting all our options and upgrades on the website. We feel we offer an exceptional product and definitely want to show it. We are doing incremental updates as our production schedule permits, and hope to get the Alano series and the new frames showcased within a couple of weeks.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Darin and Team Portenzo!

aricher
Nov 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
am I missing something? Where's this Alano case with naked leather? Where are pics of the clear corners? And what's the new frame style? Why is the cloth interior offered on Kindles not offered on ipads?

Step away from the coffee & relax a bit. While I agree that the website could use a little help I have to say, having just ordered an Alano, that Darin was very fast in answering my multiple questions regarding his products as well as supplying photos to help illustrate answers for me. I believe Portenzo's Facebook page has some photos of the naked leather version as well as many other user supplied photos & reviews. I'm sure that Portenzo is working as fast as they can to keep up with the demand as they can which is probably why they're a bit slow in updating their website.

Edit: apparently Darin answered your questions while I was typing. Now that's fast response time!

Seamaster
Nov 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
Step away from the coffee & relax a bit. While I agree that the website could use a little help I have to say, having just ordered an Alano, that Darin was very fast in answering my multiple questions regarding his products as well as supplying photos to help illustrate answers for me.

I'd echo that. Darin was friendly, patient and responsive when I fired him multiple queries before ordering my Portenzo. Just an excellent buying experience from start to finish. And the quality of the product speaks for itself.

Sterne
Nov 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
I'd echo that. Darin was friendly, patient and responsive when I fired him multiple queries before ordering my Portenzo. Just an excellent buying experience from start to finish. And the quality of the product speaks for itself.

Agreed. Great product first, great customer service second, great website third. Portenzo cares about the people who use their products and they have sold quite a few cases through word of mouth, here, on facebook, and elsewhere. Word of mouth is the most convincing and genuine marketing available - and it takes guts to rely on your customers' words to sell your products. You have to get the product right, and Darin seems to be relentlessly focused on the product.

It'll be great when everything is up on the web site - but of course, then there will be even newer variations.

qazw
Nov 20, 2010, 09:11 AM
Would someone who had purchased from Portenzo before tell me how long it took for your case to be shipped after placing your order? I rknow on the website it says 3-5 business days for the case I ordered, and on this coming Monday it will be the 5th day.......I am so looking forward to seeing the status to change to "Shipped" from "Processing".

After quietly reading comments and reviews on different forums, I finally decided to give it a shot to Portenzo and ordered the case on the 16th. Before I had my eye on the Dxdx case but after knowing the corner issues and few other things from previous Dxdx users who shared their experiences between Dxdx and Portenzo, I chose the later one. Hope it's really worth it :). I also had my eye on the Vaja before, although the design and leather are just great, it's a bit pricy to me.

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 12:05 PM
I would like to know how soon it ships, too. My Black Alano was just ordered this week with production time of 7 - 10 days but, can anyone with an experience give me any idea how soon it ships? Is it in 7 - 10 business days or normal days? There is a Thanksgiving break next week...

Themanmbh
Nov 20, 2010, 12:54 PM
I would like to know how soon it ships, too. My Black Alano was just ordered this week with production time of 7 - 10 days but, can anyone with an experience give me any idea how soon it ships? Is it in 7 - 10 business days or normal days? There is a Thanksgiving break next week...

My black Alano shipped in eight days. It was worth the wait though.

Michael

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
My black Alano shipped in eight days. It was worth the wait though.

Michael

Was it in business days? I can't wait to get the hands on it. :)

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 01:04 PM
My Wingtip shipped in 4 business days and my Alanos shipped in 6 business days.

I ordered a Stingray last night - can't wait to see that!

Seamaster
Nov 20, 2010, 01:39 PM
My Moleskin-style case shipped within a day or two, but I ordered before interest in Portenzo's line went boom. :cool:

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
My Wingtip shipped in 4 business days and my Alanos shipped in 6 business days.

My Moleskin-style case shipped within a day or two, but I ordered before interest in Portenzo's line went boom. :cool:

Thanks for being helpful. It's my first Portenzo so you know how exciting I am waiting for it! It could have been nicer if I ordered it earlier just in time for Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

Wow you obviously got a voracious appetite for Portenzo! Keep us posted on Stingray as I've never seen the actual leather. It's what, a couple of hundred dollars to burn!? You are the man. Alano wasn't enough for you. :D

flatline82
Nov 20, 2010, 04:25 PM
....And I posted my Portenzo review in the wrong thread, hehe...accidentally posted it in the Vs Dodocase thread.

Anyway...here's my video review, I went with the Notebook in black/navy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjaG_yrWuDY

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 04:43 PM
(see my comment in DODOcase vs Portenzo thread)

JonMPLS
Nov 20, 2010, 05:49 PM
OK, I am weak. Just placed an order.

PieMac
Nov 20, 2010, 05:51 PM
OK, I am weak. Just placed an order.

LOL! Which one?

And Darin, choices are good! Love your dedication and it looks like it is definitely paying off!!!! :D

JonMPLS
Nov 20, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi all, thanks for your discussion!

We are extremely grateful for your interest and humbled by the outstanding reviews of our Alano. We take extreme pride and joy in our work, and focus every day on making outstanding products.

I'll try to answer a few questions that seem to pop up:

The regular cases:
Yes, they fold flat with the excess being able to show on either the spine side or the open side.

This does NOT apply to the Wingtip, nor the exotics. They do not fold flat because of the properties of the material used. They're spines do not fold more than a 90 degree angle back on itself (typing mode).

The Portenzo Alano:
They are absolutely exquisite, I know, I 'm biased, but it's true. I go back and forth between my Midnight Alano (for dress) and my Composition (for casual), even though I can make any case I want.
The Alano will not fold flat. Personally, I have never found that to be an issue. They fold semi-flat, and because of the way they are made, provide an excellent 'grip' for one-handed use.

They are private order right now because we simply could not keep up with more demand. All of our cases are made by hand, in-house, we don't farm them out.

Midnight and Buck Naked are a bit thicker than the Dark Chocolate. That is just the way we received our order of this leather. Our tannery produces excellent leathers, but they are a bit of a mystery to deal with sometimes.

The Midnight and Chocolate are extremely durable and wipe clean with a damp cloth. I beat the hell out of mine (Midnight Black) and it stays clean as a whistle.

The Buck Naked, on the other hand, is really 'buck naked'! it is a vegetable tanned leather with no dies or topcoats. It will acquire the patina of use with age. You can certainly oil/polish it and slow that process down quite a bit. I recommend leaving it naked until it gets a little 'uniqueness' to it, then use your oil/polish of choice to kind of slow the process.

The corner system:
They will never come loose, they will never wear out.
After a few hours of use, they compress slightly to mold to the shape of the iPad. You can take your iPad in and out as many times as you like.
Our corners are truly a non issue. They only get talked about because other manufacturers cases fail on this point.

Horizontal position?
Yes, you can put any of our cases in a horizontal position. If the surface is too slick for any reason, just use the elastic as a 'catch', as in this photo.

I hope that helps, and thanks again for your input and reviews,

Darin and Team Portenzo!
https://shop.portenzo.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Composition%20iPad%20Case-7.jpg

Just a thought . . . I have always thought that just some button or catch on the moleskine style case to hold case in this position would be a nice and not too difficult addition.

JonMPLS
Nov 20, 2010, 05:53 PM
LOL! Which one?

And Darin, choices are good! Love your dedication and it looks like it is definitely paying off!!!! :D

Black Alano . . . And I am not kidding--I really hope the next ipad is the same shape factor. Have almost as much in cases as the iPad cost itself . . .;)

PieMac
Nov 20, 2010, 06:00 PM
Black Alano . . . And I am not kidding--I really hope the next ipad is the same shape factor. Have almost as much in cases as the iPad cost itself . . .;)

No kidding-this is one of the cases I am strongly considering-looks like i'm going to wind up with quite a few at this rate!

Bolero
Nov 20, 2010, 06:59 PM
I apologize in advance if I missed it, but does anyone have a link or a photo of a Portenzo case with the stylus option?

Thanks,
Bill

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 07:10 PM
deleted post - meant to quote previous poster -

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
I apologize in advance if I missed it, but does anyone have a link or a photo of a Portenzo case with the stylus option?

Thanks,
Bill

From the Portenzo Facebook page - a user photo - note that this shows the older frame design, not the new design with hidden corner pads.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5415932_n.jpg

Portenzo!
Nov 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
Just a thought . . . I have always thought that just some button or catch on the moleskine style case to hold case in this position would be a nice and not too difficult addition.

We actually make these (for a large insurance company) with a metal tab that hooks the elastic to make it easy to set up (on any surface) for presentations. Personally, I just don't like the looks of anything on the cover. It is pretty minimalistic, but I'm just not a fan of it.

Darin

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 07:19 PM
We actually make these (for a large insurance company) with a metal tab that hooks the elastic to make it easy to set up (on any surface) for presentations. Personally, I just don't like the looks of anything on the cover. It is pretty minimalistic, but I'm just not a fan of it.

Darin

I've set the Portenzo on several different surfaces and have not needed to use the elastic for it to hold the movie-mode position. So I would not buy that option if it were offered - but maybe some folks would.

downingp
Nov 20, 2010, 07:23 PM
I feel like the current design of the Portenzo case is perfect. However, I have no doubt Darin and the Portenzo Team are still looking for ways to improve the design.

Bolero
Nov 20, 2010, 08:36 PM
From the Portenzo Facebook page - a user photo - note that this shows the older frame design, not the new design with hidden corner pads.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5415932_n.jpg

Thanks... But I was unable to open this link. Do I need a account to view this image?

Thanks again.

Bill

tirnszw
Nov 20, 2010, 08:50 PM

I was also concerned with the possible revision but I took the plunge, regardless. I highly doubt that screen size will change so, even if it gets thinner, as some rumors state, the iPad can still be held by the corner padding system in the case, I hope.

Sterne
Nov 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks... But I was unable to open this link. Do I need a account to view this image?

Thanks again.

Bill

Let's see if this works -

Bolero
Nov 21, 2010, 12:30 AM
Let's see if this works -

Sweeeeeet...

Thanks.

Bill

Batmac
Nov 21, 2010, 10:11 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to see that one. I inquired about the price before settling on the Alano - let's just say I bet it's an awesome case!

qazw
Nov 22, 2010, 08:57 PM
Just got the "shipped confirmation email" today with the tracking number, right on time on the 5th business day as promised. Thumbs up!

forza1976
Nov 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reviews folks. Just ordered the composition case. Definitely looking forward to receiving it...

Higgs1
Nov 26, 2010, 12:02 PM
argh im struggling trying to hold out on buying an iPad and the portenzo isn't making it any easier! If i knew the 2nd gen would fit I'd order my case today lol

i really gotta stay away from this forum until the 2nd one actually drops.....:rolleyes:

tirnszw
Nov 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
argh im struggling trying to hold out on buying an iPad and the portenzo isn't making it any easier! If i knew the 2nd gen would fit I'd order my case today lol

i really gotta stay away from this forum until the 2nd one actually drops.....:rolleyes:

Actually, I went ahead and canceled my Portenzo Alano. Accessories can easily get outdated when there is a redesign no matter how nice they are. While moleskine-type case adds luxurious look and style, iPad feels so much nicer without bulky cases or skins. I love how iPad looks and feels when it is held between fingers of one hand, as someone has pointed out in this thread. Indeed, stay away from this type of forum. ;)

Rhndy
Nov 27, 2010, 05:12 AM
i ordered my Portenzo case one week ago, got the shipping mail with tracking last tuesday.

The statuspage is showing : Processed through sort facility Hazelwood.

I live in The Netherlands and looking at this, it might even take another week before my case arrives. My credit card has been charged and still no case here.

I hope it will come soon:mad:

qazw
Nov 29, 2010, 02:36 AM
i ordered my Portenzo case one week ago, got the shipping mail with tracking last tuesday.

The statuspage is showing : Processed through sort facility Hazelwood.

I live in The Netherlands and looking at this, it might even take another week before my case arrives. My credit card has been charged and still no case here.

I hope it will come soon:mad:

I know exactly how you feel. I got the confirmation last week and USPS showed the pacel was accpted on 22nd Nov, and updated on the 23rd saying it was sitting at Hazelwood first then Chicago on the same day. And nothing gets updated afterwards. Hope it comes soon. I'm not taking my iPad oustide until I got the case protetcing it. ;)

Rhndy
Nov 29, 2010, 07:26 AM
I know exactly how you feel. I got the confirmation last week and USPS showed the pacel was accpted on 22nd Nov, and updated on the 23rd saying it was sitting at Hazelwood first then Chicago on the same day. And nothing gets updated afterwards. Hope it comes soon. I'm not taking my iPad oustide until I got the case protetcing it. ;)

I got an email from darin:

The USPS does not track packages once they leave the US. You tracking will show that it is still in the US even on the day you receive it. They have no way to track outside the US.

Packages to the Netherlands take anywhere from 10 - 21 days, and usually arrive in about 14 days from shipping.

Thanks!

Darin

iPad is coming today, hope it comes soon. i'll update as i know more.

bigbro1096
Nov 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
Well I have fallen in love with this case! With my Christmas money I plan on getting the portenzo notebook style case, incase book jacket, and the tree design for my iPh4 from grove made... Any other ideas of other nice cases will be helpful! Thanks :)

ScaryMerry
Nov 29, 2010, 08:35 PM
I can't wait 'till I get paid and can buy the composition case. I just got my iPad on Black Friday and it's not seeing the outside world until it's protected. It's a shame too, because it would be great for school work. I guess its university debut will have to wait for next semester. Hopefully my professors next semester will use PDFs for class readings as much as my professors from this semester. I've been reading them on my iPod touch, which actually works pretty well except for a few formatting issues. On the iPad, however, they read incredibly well. I feel the composition case is όber-appropriate. :D

LanikaiGirl
Nov 30, 2010, 09:36 PM
I just received my new Portenzo. Ya'll I am pretty sure I have the best one to date. It is brown Teju skin. It is so gorgeous my family and I gasped in unison when I opened it. Seriously. It is not a cover, it is a work of art. I would change nothing. I am waiting until tomorrow to take pictures and post them. It is dark here and I want to get the best light to show off the warmth of it.
Darin, I am truly sorry. After tomorrow, I fear you will be inundated with orders for the Teju. I am going on a cruise ship next week and I am afraid of how many people will learn about Portenzo from me after they see it. People, I would get in your orders NOW. :D :D

bigbro1096
Nov 30, 2010, 10:14 PM
I plan on getting the sky blue notebook style one for Christmas because I love the color of the back ground on the iPad. Although I do have a few questions before I order it. Has anyone successfully got it in the "work of art" with a full body shield like the wrapsolor zagg? Also if anyone has the sky blue version can you post pics as I would love to see them. Last, is there anything else I should know about the portenzo? Thank you for your time.

LanikaiGirl
Nov 30, 2010, 10:39 PM
Here is a quick pic. I have to say that it does not do it justice.

http://homepage.mac.com/ginahankerd/Sites/filechute/photo1.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/ginahankerd/Sites/filechute/photo2.JPG

Sterne
Nov 30, 2010, 11:08 PM

gasp....beautiful...I think my Stingray is coming tomorrow - will it be as glorious as the Teju?

LanikaiGirl
Nov 30, 2010, 11:35 PM
I am betting the stingray will be unbelievable! But for tonight, I have the best one. Lol.

aricher
Dec 1, 2010, 12:43 AM
Stunning! I got an email from Darin today saying that my Portenzo Alano in black was shipped today, I can't wait to get it. Sterne, please post pics of your Stingray case, I may just have ot order one for the next gen iPad in 2011.

Batmac
Dec 1, 2010, 03:18 AM

That is a magnificent case. Absolutely stunning!

TroyBoy30
Dec 1, 2010, 07:43 AM
Stunning! I got an email from Darin today saying that my Portenzo Alano in black was shipped today, I can't wait to get it. Sterne, please post pics of your Stingray case, I may just have ot order one for the next gen iPad in 2011.

can someone explain the differences between the Alano and the regular case? i know the alano is a single peice of leather, but is that the only difference?

Is it safe to assume the alano can come in the beatiful material posted above?

LanikaiGirl
Dec 1, 2010, 11:33 AM
can someone explain the differences between the Alano and the regular case? i know the alano is a single peice of leather, but is that the only difference?

Is it safe to assume the alano can come in the beatiful material posted above?

I would say not. Teju is a reptile hide. I don't believe it has the thickness to stand alone.

LanikaiGirl
Dec 1, 2010, 03:39 PM
One is in indoor ambient light, and the other with direct sunlight.

http://homepage.mac.com/ginahankerd/Sites/filechute/photo3.JPG

http://homepage.mac.com/ginahankerd/Sites/filechute/photo4.JPG

Kadin
Dec 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
Anyone care to comment on the weight of these cases compared to some of the more typical folios? I just picked up the Jack Spade Folio from the Apple store for $69 and while I like it, these ones look absolutely stunning and so clean. I'm looking to simply purchase the Notebook Style case.

And how easy are they to remove from the case? I watched the shake test video on the site and that's great and all... but do they come out easy for when you want to use the iPad naked?

LanikaiGirl
Dec 1, 2010, 05:56 PM
It's lighter than my yoobao was. As for the taking in and out, I really don't. Anyone else use it that way?

Themanmbh
Dec 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
It's lighter than my yoobao was. As for the taking in and out, I really don't. Anyone else use it that way?

I've had my Alano for several weeks now. i've never had a need to take my iPad out of it.

Michael

Sterne
Dec 1, 2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone care to comment on the weight of these cases compared to some of the more typical folios? I just picked up the Jack Spade Folio from the Apple store for $69 and while I like it, these ones look absolutely stunning and so clean. I'm looking to simply purchase the Notebook Style case.

And how easy are they to remove from the case? I watched the shake test video on the site and that's great and all... but do they come out easy for when you want to use the iPad naked?

Not noticeably heavy, and quite easy to remove if you follow Darin's instructions for removal.

Sterne
Dec 1, 2010, 07:55 PM
I am betting the stingray will be unbelievable! But for tonight, I have the best one. Lol.

The new pics are even better than the first set. Please post one that shows the inside, too!

Fedex shows "out for delivery"....it's almost 6 pm...I may not see Mr Stingray tonight after all.

LanikaiGirl
Dec 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
I had the same thing last night. I was bereft. And then it showed up. It must have been after 7. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :D

ScaryMerry
Dec 1, 2010, 11:42 PM

I saw video review somewhere else online, and it seemed pretty easy to get out. The reviewer simply followed the included instructions, grasping the edge of the iPad and pressing his thumb firmly against the bamboo frame. He also did a successful shake test, so his case was a standard, quality Portenzo.

Portenzo!
Dec 2, 2010, 12:32 PM
Hi all! I just got a change to catch up on the discussion.

The Alano is made from a single piece of very thick leather, the Teju is made just as a traditional book, with thinner pieces of leather as its cover material, and an Italian book cloth as its interior.

LanikaiGirl, great photos! Love the one on the pine boards.

As for removal of the iPad, here is part of the note that now comes inside each Alano:
--------------------------------------------
Your Portenzo™ case has a very exact fit for the iPad. For the easiest way to remove the iPad, please follow these instructions. This makes it ridiculously easy to remove the iPad. There is no need to take the iPad out from the front of the case.

1 - Put the case face down on a table in front of you with the elastic strap loose on top (NOT wrapped around the cover) and the spine facing you. (basically upside-down and backwards)
2 - Grip the case on each outside corner of the back cover and frame with your fingers, and put your thumbs twards the center of the backside of the case.
3. Open the case (it will be facing away from you) by lifting it open about an inch (while the cover stays flat on the table) and gently push down FIRST WITH ONE THUMB, THEN WITH THE OTHER.

The ipad will simply drop out of the case (gently landing on the cover, remember your only open by an inch or so) as if you were getting ice out of a tray.

--------------------------------------------

Once you try it, it becomes obvious.

Also,
1- your order will stay in 'Processing' status until it actually ships.

And for non-USA orders:
2- If your shipping outside the US, the USPS does not track packages once they leave the USA. Your tracking will show IN TRANSIT up until it arrives at your door. The last destination will show HAZELWOOD, or CHICAGO, for the entire duration of its trip, and will stay that way until it arrives at your door.
We have no control over this, this is the way the USPS works.

I hope that helps,
and thanks again from the entire team!

Kadin
Dec 2, 2010, 12:49 PM
^ Thanks! I'll probably be ordering a Notebook style case very soon. Just have to return this Jack Spade first... ;)

aricher
Dec 2, 2010, 01:03 PM
I received my Portenzo Alano in midnight black leather today and I am VERY happy with it. I'll try to post some pictures and a full review here over the weekend. As others here have said the fit & finish is great, shipping time was fast and the customer service was superb. I highly recommend the Alano. Makes me wish I had the extra $$ to pony up for a Stingray case, alas, maybe iPad 2.

LanikaiGirl
Dec 3, 2010, 10:04 PM
Where are the sting ray pics??!! PLEASE!!

Sterne
Dec 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
Where are the sting ray pics??!! PLEASE!!

Well, I wish I had the Stingray so I could take pics - from the tracking info on the Portenzo page, I thought both cases I ordered had shipped, but only the standard notebook case had. Still waiting for the Stingray - Darin expected it to ship yesterday; I hope it did.

I promise to take pics as soon as I can once the case is in hand!

Steven

LanikaiGirl
Dec 4, 2010, 01:38 PM
We'll let it go this time. Lol. It must be an agonizing wait. :D

M7ck
Dec 6, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have had my iPad for only a couple of days and have been looking for a decent case for it. A member over at Bit-Tech.net pointed me towards the Portenzo and after researching it I have to say I have no doubts about ordering one. I just wish Portenzo offered a pink lining.

JonMPLS
Dec 7, 2010, 05:51 AM
Still waiting here . . . All the good reviews must have swamped them! :rolleyes:

bigbro1096
Dec 7, 2010, 05:58 AM
Still waiting here . . . All the good reviews must have swamped them! :rolleyes:

Can you explain this? I really don't understand what you mean.

JonMPLS
Dec 7, 2010, 07:09 AM
Can you explain this? I really don't understand what you mean.

oops, sorry. I think that because of all the good press they might be a little behind on their orders. Just waiting for my shipment notice. . .

mrl72
Dec 7, 2010, 08:34 AM
Ordered mine on 11/30/2010 and still waiting/processing. As long as it comes before Xmas day I'll be happy.

TroyBoy30
Dec 7, 2010, 11:43 AM
I just received my new Portenzo. Ya'll I am pretty sure I have the best one to date. It is brown Teju skin. It is so gorgeous my family and I gasped in unison when I opened it. Seriously. It is not a cover, it is a work of art. I would change nothing. I am waiting until tomorrow to take pictures and post them. It is dark here and I want to get the best light to show off the warmth of it.
Darin, I am truly sorry. After tomorrow, I fear you will be inundated with orders for the Teju. I am going on a cruise ship next week and I am afraid of how many people will learn about Portenzo from me after they see it. People, I would get in your orders NOW. :D :D

can you be specific as to which case this is? the regular case with special cover or special case?

Rhndy
Dec 7, 2010, 02:42 PM
I received my Portenzo case today!

One word : Beautiful!

I added a few quick pics with my iPhone.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6179/foto1zb.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3954/foto3ht.jpg

mrl72
Dec 7, 2010, 05:10 PM
I received my Portenzo case today!

One word : Beautiful!

I added a few quick pics with my iPhone.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6179/foto1zb.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3954/foto3ht.jpg

Nice! Is that the regular notebook with Levant type leather?

LanikaiGirl
Dec 8, 2010, 01:26 AM
can you be specific as to which case this is? the regular case with special cover or special case?

It is the Teju skin case.

budfoot
Dec 8, 2010, 08:12 AM

When did you order? I ordered a midnight black alano on the 21st of Nov and haven't heard anything (other than the decrease in bank account) from them...

ksmith80209
Dec 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
When did you order? I ordered a midnight black alano on the 21st of Nov and haven't heard anything (other than the decrease in bank account) from them...

Send Darin an email. He's good about getting back to you to resolve the issue.

JonMPLS
Dec 8, 2010, 11:32 AM

FYI, I ordered the same on Nov 20--no word either. . .

NJANJA
Dec 8, 2010, 04:11 PM
FYI, I ordered the same on Nov 20--no word either. . .

I ordered mine over a week ago, partly because of the assurance on the Portenzo website that says: "We will ship your order shortly after we receive payment".

Well, they have had my money for a week now but the order status continues to show "processing". I keep thinking that it could be wrong, and that perhaps it has indeed already shipped, because no serious business could run on the basis that over a week is "shortly" when we are talking about putting a product in a box and sending it out. My email to Darin on the issue has gone unanswered.

Was looking forward to this but it seems that they can't deliver on their promises and the customer service level appears below par. I hope I'm wrong and it shows up soon...

JonMPLS
Dec 8, 2010, 04:17 PM
Compared to the wait and lack of contact from Vaja, Portenzo has been just great. They have replied to all of my emails almost instantly. I have not contacted them yet regarding the order because it almost always seems my order ships on the day I contact someone . . . But I might check-in with them in a day or two.

oops. Just got the shipment order about 10 minutes ago!!!

PS: Just to be fair, my order was Nov 20, but it was a Friday night, and the following week was the week of Thanksgiving . . .

bigbro1096
Dec 8, 2010, 06:41 PM
oops, sorry. I think that because of all the good press they might be a little behind on their orders. Just waiting for my shipment notice. . .

Oh ok thanx! I though by swamped u mean their product wasn't as good but now that I've reread it makes more sense.

budfoot
Dec 9, 2010, 11:44 AM
Funny, i sent darin an email and like, 20 seconds later, i get a ship notice. I'm sure our emails passed on the interwebs, but he was even cool enough to respond to my email saying I would get it by Christmas (which is why i ordered it).

So, all told, the black alano case i ordered on the 21st will be here on the 10th. Not bad...

johnle15
Dec 9, 2010, 12:10 PM
I ordered the Dark Chocolate Alano on the 11/17; got an email for Darin saying the next batch was shipping this Monday.

unsped
Dec 10, 2010, 12:51 PM
sold

JonMPLS
Dec 10, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hey, my black Alano arrived! Pretty high on the wow factor!

marcello696
Dec 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
I emailed Darin 3 days ago regarding the status of my case and I've not gotten a response.

I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and I just want to make sure it is here by Xmas

bigbro1096
Dec 11, 2010, 11:16 PM
I emailed Darin 3 days ago regarding the status of my case and I've not gotten a response.

I ordered it about 2 weeks ago and I just want to make sure it is here by Xmas

I'm sorry to sound rude but I mean he is only one person so he may be busy I mean after all it is only 13 days until Christmas so he may have things to do himself.

bigbro1096
Dec 11, 2010, 11:29 PM
I have two questions to ask. I wanted 2 cases but after seeing the price it may not happen so I was wondering just in case which do you prefer, the plain Notebook Style or the Composition Style case? I do plan on getting two so for the first one I will have the sky blue linen and I was wondering if you think I should leave the inside of the composition case black or ask them to change it to a sky blue linen? Thank you for your time and help and thank you to Portenzo for being AWESOME! :)

sciuro
Dec 12, 2010, 06:34 PM
anyone interested? maybe like $45 shipped?

Hi unsped,
For the future, I believe marketplace section of this forum is a better place for such posts... Still, I'm interested :) could you email me at annabelkina - at - gmail.com? Thanks!

bigbro1096
Dec 12, 2010, 11:50 PM
Well the question now to the people who have had their Portenzo for a while is how has it held up?

marcello696
Dec 13, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry to sound rude but I mean he is only one person so he may be busy I mean after all it is only 13 days until Christmas so he may have things to do himself.

I'm not complaining but I am concerned that it has been almost 3 weeks since I placed my order and I've not heard anything with regards to shipping.

As a customer I do have a right to know what is going on with my order.

bigbro1096
Dec 13, 2010, 10:59 AM
I'm not complaining but I am concerned that it has been almost 3 weeks since I placed my order and I've not heard anything with regards to shipping.

As a customer I do have a right to know what is going on with my order.

Now this is ironic but have you called them/him.

Sterne
Dec 13, 2010, 09:33 PM
Well the question now to the people who have had their Portenzo for a while is how has it held up?

Great, no problems with wear. Excellent workmanship.

bklam
Dec 14, 2010, 12:45 AM
Hey Darin, just received my double black today. My gf allowed me to take a peek inside and its jaw dropping amazing. Christmas really can't come fast enough. Thanks again for your excellent customer service and i said before, your company is definitely going the right direction.

bigbro1096
Dec 14, 2010, 05:56 AM
Well I secretly opened my christmas gift. Took pictures of the gift card then used the pics to order my Portenzo case! I can't wait to get it!!!

ksmith80209
Dec 14, 2010, 10:42 AM
I just received the Black Alano case - amazing. Although I really liked the regular Portenzo case, the quality of the leather Alano is outstanding. Keep up the great work Portenzo!

ScaryMerry
Dec 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
So tomorrow I will officially be able to buy a Portenzo! Now the dilemma- which one? I'm torn between the Composition and the regular one, but with my name engraved on it. I'm iffy about the yellowish bamboo being paired with the black & white of the Composition cover, though I love the quirkiness of it looking like a composition notebook. On the other hand, I like the classiness and Moleskine look of the normal case, though I feel it's a little nondescript. Opinions?

JonMPLS
Dec 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
So tomorrow I will officially be able to buy a Portenzo! Now the dilemma- which one? I'm torn between the Composition and the regular one, but with my name engraved on it. I'm iffy about the yellowish bamboo being paired with the black & white of the Composition cover, though I love the quirkiness of it looking like a composition notebook. On the other hand, I like the classiness and Moleskine look of the normal case, though I feel it's a little nondescript. Opinions?

Sometimes there are TOO MANY options. I went through the same thought process and went more traditional. Quirky might be fun for off and on, but for day-to-day the Moleskine look is hard to beat. Of course, the Wingtip is kind of in between and very nice. If not for the Alano that I ordered, I think I would have went Wingtip.

ScaryMerry
Dec 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Sometimes there are TOO MANY options. I went through the same thought process and went more traditional. Quirky might be fun for off and on, but for day-to-day the Moleskine look is hard to beat. Of course, the Wingtip is kind of in between and very nice. If not for the Alano that I ordered, I think I would have went Wingtip.

If they still had the wingtip ostrich skin, that would probably be my choice. I'm not a huge fan of brown, but damn that black and blown ostrich wingtip looks classy. I've considered the normal wingtip, but I think I like the ability to custom engrave the normal Portenzo better. But then again, I love, love unique looking items, and that Compostion case touches my writer's heart.

And... I'm right back where I started. -_-U

ETA- Oh no! I just discovered the Oberon Design iPad cases! I like the technical aspects of the Portenzo better, but the Oberon cases are soooooo preeetttty. I'm stuck. *cries*
http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=76

Themanmbh
Dec 14, 2010, 07:56 PM

I've had my black Alano for a month now. My iPad never leaves the case and I use my iPad daily for note taking, watching movies, and cruising the web.

There is no noticeable difference between the Alano now versus the day I received it. Superb quality.

Michael

Batmac
Dec 15, 2010, 04:36 AM
My Alano arrived today, and overall I'm extremely impressed. Works perfectly as a stand, quality of workmanship is extremely high, and as others have said, it smells great. Very good in the hands too. I mainly use my iPad freehand rather than on a surface, and usually hold it portrait style. The Alano adds minimal weight, and the asymmetry created by the spine is no different to the feeling of a thick magazine folded back on itself. The case also feels great when I hold the iPad freehand in landscape, spine down. It provides a very comfortable grip.

The only thing I don't care for about the design is the height of the bamboo frame. I wish it was a tiny bit higher so that the iPad screen didn't 'bubble' out of it. I can see why the designers shaped the frame the way they did because it's so aesthetically pleasing, but I'd prefer the screen to be slightly recessed, just so I don't feel the cover is touching it when it's closed. I don't think the cover is going to scratch it; it's just a preference.

Corners grips are invisible when the iPad is in place, and they're not going anywhere. Neither is the iPad. No point in rehashing this point as every reviewer has already covered it. The way the frame holds the iPad is utterly flawless.

Typing mode feels great too. The angle isn't as extreme as some cases, but it's perfectly sufficient for my needs when I want to write on the iPad. And there will be no issue with the spine's creases causing instability in the future. It would be impossible to break in the leather with enough tenacity to compromise the spine as a typing stand. The leather is too thick to allow this, and the spine hinge is scored too precisely. It'll do just what you want, and nothing that you don't.

One thing I appreciated which I haven't seen mentioned that often is how tough the leather feels. It encourages you to tame it, to break it in. When I folded back the spine for the first time, it resisted a bit. Per the instructions that come with the case, I encouraged the crease to do its thing by running my thumb and forefinger down it, which immediately relaxed the leather and made it more pliable. The case really lets you train it to your tastes, and I love that. I was worried I'd be prissy with it because it was expensive and leather, but not at all - it's a workhorse that primarily exists to protect your iPad and enhance the experience of using it. Looking fantastic is a byproduct. I'm not at all worried about the construction. Every aspect of the design feels rock solid.

The other thing few people discuss are the speaker channels. Portenzo's claims are true: they do seem to add a bit of bass, and they channel the sound extremely well. The iPad's one little speaker has the interesting effect of somehow spreading the sound out so that it doesn't sound like it's obviously coming from one very specific corner, and this effect is maintained in the case; albeit with a subtly different sound that I don't consider better or worse. None of the iPad's ports or switches, including the speakers and headphone jack, are hampered by the case in any way.

To conclude, it's a fantastic case. I'm glad I opted for it over the regular Portenzo, which I don't think would have met my particular needs quite as well. Anyone on the fence about which Portenzo case to get, be sure to ask questions and make an informed decision. The Alano won't be worth the extra cost to everyone, but it certainly was to me.

budfoot
Dec 15, 2010, 10:28 AM
Finally got mine! Awesome case... one stupid user question... am i missing on how to use this as a stand? Like, standing up?

MikePA
Dec 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
Finally got mine! Awesome case... one stupid user question... am i missing on how to use this as a stand? Like, standing up?

See post #70 in this thread.

SmittS
Dec 15, 2010, 03:35 PM
I've had my regular for Portenzo for about a week and I like it way better than the Incase convertible book jacket I first had for my iPad. My main problems with the case all stem from the hinge. The case will not NOT fold flat if you fold back the front cover. This makes typing mode virtually impossible. If you set up typing mode, barely nudging the case will make the case fall flat. The hinges are really weak. The front facing hinge is already starting to slightly crack so I'm already worrying about how this case will hold up. I wish I would have spent the extra money for the Alano since it seems it is much stronger.

ScaryMerry
Dec 15, 2010, 10:26 PM
So I'm on the fence now between the normal Portenzo and the Wingtip. Does anyone have experience with both? Which do you prefer and why? What are the pros and cons of each case? I am soooo indecisive.

karleaglemac
Dec 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
I just received my case in the mail today and I figured I'd post some pics. The craftsmanship, quality of materials, the LOOK are all incredible. I couldn't be happier about this purchase. If anyone is on the fence about going with Portenzo, I hope these help you make your decision.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5201/5265493606_00ab5f70b5.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5241/5265493438_15738477a9.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/5264885899_be1ae6f1c9.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/5265494538_fca9442bea.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5170/5264886977_6398cf10f9.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5209/5264886803_2fc21d0a04.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5264886589_b69f6e48fe.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/5265493822_7a929eee2b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5264887883_f0674da0c4.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5244/5265495468_191df5c325.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5265494790_eb65799fd0.jpg

budfoot
Dec 16, 2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks on the stand thing...

Now, the only real complaint i have is the weight. This thing adds some weight to the iPad. Not terrible, but, it's certainly noticeable.

PieMac
Dec 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have the Composition case and love it! Fantastic quality and build. That said, after 3 weeks of use, the hinge where it folds back has gotten a bit loose and it no longer wants to sit up straight-it slightly leans back. If I manually sit it up, it will stay for a while, but it does tend to relax again. It's not a big deal at this point, but will see if it eventually goes flat.

I still see an Alano in my future; however, I noticed the price has gone up significantly...from around 90.00 to 125.00-bummer, but I suspect they must be selling well none-the-less. I would love to see a photo of the chocolate brown and the naked/natural one after a month of two of use if anyone has one. :)

bigbro1096
Dec 16, 2010, 02:10 PM
Time to play the waiting game :rolleyes:
I ordered to notebook style with a sky blue linen and I'll take pics once it arrives :D

budfoot
Dec 16, 2010, 08:15 PM
Gotta say, I am not digging the weight of these cases. I often spend time in bed reading on my 'pad and its literally about twice as heavy. I might sell my Alano for cost at this point.

bigbro1096
Dec 16, 2010, 08:50 PM
well my case is 5 hours and 3 minutes away in st louis! i hope it wont take fed ex more then 2 days to deliver it. i guess what im saying is i hope i have it b4 monday cause im so excited!!!

okrelayer
Dec 16, 2010, 09:00 PM
hey guys, you might remember me from earlier in this thread. I have the original Portenzo about 2 months old. (black binding with the red inside of it) while it looked amazing, and held the iPad really well i just i preferred my other cases. Gimme a price, and i'll give you a case lmao (well if i think its reasonable!)

tirnszw
Dec 16, 2010, 09:13 PM
Gotta say, I am not digging the weight of these cases. I often spend time in bed reading on my 'pad and its literally about twice as heavy. I might sell my Alano for cost at this point.

Although I love using my iPad without a case, I want to try Alano if you can give me a reasonable price. I sent you a private message with my email address. Thanks! ;)

Batmac
Dec 16, 2010, 09:17 PM

That's interesting, and it's contrary to my experience. I don't love the weight of the iPad itself, but I don't find the Alano adds anything significant to it. I've been using my iPad naked up until this point, and there are ways I would like to hold it that are uncomfortable due to the weight. If Apple shaved off a moderate percentage of its weight, I would find the device a good deal more versatile. One of my concerns was that adding a substantial case like the Alano to the equation would impact the weight problem even more, exactly as you describe. But while the Alano certainly adds a bit of weight to the iPad, I don't find that it impacts my use or comfort in a practical way at all. Quite the opposite: the extra grip provided by the leather makes it much easier to use in a wider variety of positions and contexts.

I'm sorry you're finding the case cumbersome though. Just figured I'd post an alternate viewpoint.

With regard to the recent price hike...I'm sorry to say that as much as I love the case (and I really do), I personally think that $125 is far too much. Even as an extremely satisfied Alano owner I don't feel the case is worth that asking price. I think $89 is about right. It wouldn't feel like a steal, but it's certainly not bad - quite fair for the case. I paid $99, more because I wasn't about to change my mind over $10 than because it felt like a reasonable price. I'm satisfied with the case for $99, but it feels steep. I know Portenzo are a small business, and I can't speak to the cost of materials or the difficulty of precision case-making, but $125 does feel extreme, and I wouldn't recommend the case to anyone who was even remotely value conscious at that price.

tirnszw
Dec 16, 2010, 10:06 PM
With regard to the recent price hike...I'm sorry to say that as much as I love the case (and I really do), I personally think that $125 is far too much. Even as an extremely satisfied Alano owner I don't feel the case is worth that asking price. I think $89 is about right. It wouldn't feel like a steal, but it's certainly not bad - quite fair for the case. I paid $99, more because I wasn't about to change my mind over $10 than because it felt like a reasonable price. I'm satisfied with the case for $99, but it feels steep. I know Portenzo are a small business, and I can't speak to the cost of materials or the difficulty of precision case-making, but $125 does feel extreme, and I wouldn't recommend the case to anyone who was even remotely value conscious at that price.

Thanks for commenting on the current price. The price is just too much.

It sure was 89, then 99 by the time I ordered last time, and the order was quickly canceled because there were not many reviews on Alano at that time (I was just skeptical about the case). 125 is too much of an upgrade from what I just got today, a regular portenzo case someone has generously passed it on to me at a good price (thanks).

I still do prefer using iPad naked because I hate any additional bulk however, at the same time, I wanted some case like portenzo that would disguise it in public. For now, the regular one is perfect for me for public use. The iPad is tightly held by the pads and it is going nowhere (I tried shaking it vigorously upside down but it is not coming out unlike problematic DODOcase.). Just as Darin has assured, taking it in and out of the case won't cause the pads to lose their function. The bamboo finish is smooth to the touch and looks simply cool. I definitely would recommend Portenzo regular, or composition case.

ScaryMerry
Dec 16, 2010, 10:57 PM

Indeed. I was torn between the Portenzo and the Oberon, and I decided that I really wanted a leather case. As both have excellent reviews and cost about the same (the Oberon is $130), it came down to aesthetics. Don't get me wrong- the Alano is beautiful, but is too nondescript for $125 IMO. All 15 Oberon designs, however, are incredibly gorgeous and well worth the price. Also, based upon the reviews I read, the Oberon case provides a little more drop protection than the Portenzo cases and a better typing angle. I'll probably buy a Portenzo as well at some point, but none of the current designs are begging me to buy them (except for the ostrich wingtip, but they sold out by the time I had the money to buy one). Btw, here's the case (http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1159) I decided on if you're curious.

Batmac
Dec 17, 2010, 12:39 AM
Indeed. I was torn between the Portenzo and the Oberon, and I decided that I really wanted a leather case. As both have excellent reviews and cost about the same (the Oberon is $130), it came down to aesthetics. Don't get me wrong- the Alano is beautiful, but is too nondescript for $125 IMO. All 15 Oberon designs, however, are incredibly gorgeous and well worth the price. Also, based upon the reviews I read, the Oberon case provides a little more drop protection than the Portenzo cases and a better typing angle. I'll probably buy a Portenzo as well at some point, but none of the current designs are begging me to buy them (except for the ostrich wingtip, but they sold out by the time I had the money to buy one). Btw, here's the case (http://www.oberondesign.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1159) I decided on if you're curious.

The Oberon covers are exquisite, and I considered their products myself before settling on a Portenzo. However they use the classic elastic corner strap system to hold the iPad in place. Functionally and aesthetically I much prefer the bamboo frame. Leaving the bezel completely unobstructed is extremely important to me, and Portenzo's only rival in this regard - Dodo - leaves the edges needlessly exposed and can't get the corner grips right. For me, the Portenzo frame design is perfect, and that was what sold me on their products. What sold me on the Alano was the promise of flexible protection that the thick leather cover provides. I haven't wanted or needed to remove the iPad from the case since the day it arrived. I was buying purely for function, though. The leather of the Alano is extremely attractive, but it's a rugged attractiveness rather than an arresting beauty. It's a very unassuming aesthetic, very different to other high end leather cases on the market. If you're looking for something that will catch the eye when it's closed up and sitting on a table, the probably Alano isn't for you.

I think Portenzo's 'exotics' range is more comparable to Oberon's product - the ostrich, reptile, wild boar and stingray cases.

tirnszw
Dec 17, 2010, 01:04 AM

Actually I was considering Oberon before Portenzo. It is a bit pricey but I think it's worth it. Oberon is like thick Alano leather with embossed design minus bamboo and, it doesn't seem to add much additional bulk to iPad. Oberon does make Alano too bland looking. Only thing that I don't like about Oberon is bands that hold the iPad. I just don't like anything covering the front (not even the edge) but this is just me.

ScaryMerry
Dec 17, 2010, 01:34 AM
Actually I was considering Oberon before Portenzo. It is a bit pricey but I think it's worth it. Oberon is like thick Alano leather with embossed design minus bamboo and, it doesn't seem to add much additional bulk to iPad. Oberon does make Alano too bland looking. Only thing that I don't like about Oberon is bands that hold the iPad. I just don't like anything covering the front (not even the edge) but this is just me.

However they use the classic elastic corner strap system to hold the iPad in place. Functionally and aesthetically I much prefer the bamboo frame. Leaving the bezel completely unobstructed is extremely important to me, and Portenzo's only rival in this regard - Dodo - leaves the edges needlessly exposed and can't get the corner grips right. For me, the Portenzo frame design is perfect, and that was what sold me on their products. What sold me on the Alano was the promise of flexible protection that the thick leather cover provides.

That was the real point of debate for me. I wanted the holding method of the Portenzo with the outer aesthetics of the Oberon. The Oberon ended up winning out, mostly because I'm a history major bibliophile with a soft spot for old-looking pretty books, but if Portenzo released a case with it's (page-like!) frame system paired with a beautifully tooled leather exterior (and preferably a more elegant closing method than the Moleskine-style elastic strap), I would buy it in a heartbeat. Is it too much to ask to have a case that makes my gadget look incredibly similar to an old book? Portenzo has the page-mimicking anchoring system down pat, yet the exterior leaves much to be desired. BookBook and Oberon have the exterior right, but not the anchoring system. Team up, people!

bigbro1096
Dec 18, 2010, 06:31 PM
Well the status of my case has been "departed from fedex location in independence Kentucky" for 7 hours now. I live only 2 hours and 45 minutes away from there so I hope my package wasn't lost. I'll give it till Monday to change and till Tuesday for it's delivery. Anyone with the sky blue linen mind posting pics? I know I will once it, hopefully, arrives.

marcello696
Dec 19, 2010, 02:28 PM
got my Portenzo case on Friday and I am loving it! Had to take my iPad to the Apple Store yesterday and everybody wanted to know where I got such a stylish case :D

Best investment Ive made for the iPad

sciuro
Dec 19, 2010, 11:58 PM
Could you explain me what kind of material is the interior (red or custom-color) of the Notebook case like? If it is cloth, is durable? Is it possible to clean it in case of some spill etc? How does it look after couple of months of use?

Thanks!

bigbro1096
Dec 20, 2010, 08:02 AM
my case should arrive anytime today. really excited, pictures coming later

bigbro1096
Dec 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
as i said earlier my case should be delivered today. when it does arrive ill take pics and write a short review/first impressions. really excited!!!

Aipad
Dec 20, 2010, 01:51 PM
I have never heard of Portenzo. I went on the site but the cases are not really what I was looking for.
I think I would prefer one of these cases.
fortte (http://www.fortte.com).com
bellagiodesigns.com/ (http://www.bellagiodesigns.com/)
noreve.com (http://www.noreve.com)

bigbro1096
Dec 20, 2010, 01:58 PM
Well, I've had the case for about an hour now and first impressions are that it looks nice, smells good, the fit is perfect, it is beautiful, feels like a leather book, and that it has some weight. The case and iPad together weigh about 2 pounds but to me the weight makes the iPad feel good in my hands. I was thinking about getting a second but it seems like this case will do. All ports are accessible and the little groves for the speakers do improve the sound. The bamboo is actually very smooth and not rough. Over all this is my favorite case. I got the blue linen. One other thing that I love is the little card that says who made it; it makes the experience that much more personel.

drock
Dec 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
How does it feel to rest your arm on this case while, say, drawing/writing with a stylus?

It seems to me like the bamboo would create a sharp edge and would hurt your wrist if you rest your arm on the edge.

bigbro1096
Dec 21, 2010, 02:50 AM
How does it feel to rest your arm on this case while, say, drawing/writing with a stylus?

It seems to me like the bamboo would create a sharp edge and would hurt your wrist if you rest your arm on the edge.

The bamboo is very light and smooth so I don't think it will cause any discomfort but I haven't tried it out yet. Hope that helps

MikePA
Dec 21, 2010, 04:22 AM
How does it feel to rest your arm on this case while, say, drawing/writing with a stylus? It seems to me like the bamboo would create a sharp edge and would hurt your wrist if you rest your arm on the edge.
The bamboo is much smoother and rounded than the iPad itself so the bamboo will not be a problem.

87vert
Dec 22, 2010, 06:11 AM
My Portenzo is set to be delivered today, I can hardly wait. :D

Does the case work with the Apple iPad dock?

MikePA
Dec 22, 2010, 07:02 AM
Does the case work with the Apple iPad dock?
No.

87vert
Dec 22, 2010, 09:13 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6937/img0516fk.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7426/img0519mq.jpg

blanding
Dec 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
Yes, it is very wonderful, it is screen in touch.it can bring me a lot of value enjoyment. I like it very much.

JonMPLS
Dec 24, 2010, 07:13 AM
Wow, that blue looks great!

87vert
Dec 24, 2010, 10:28 AM
Wow, that blue looks great!

Thanks it looks even better with the matching background -- except for the bad iPhone 4 picture :D

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2876/img0520z.jpg

bklam
Dec 25, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wow this case is amazing! I just Opened mine for Christmas and I can't stop staring at it. Double black is so classy and feels so nice. I definitely recommend this case for all!

Groundhog66
Dec 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
I am so glad I found this thread, definitely a must have...I am going to place an order right now.

Any current coupon codes??

Xrated
Dec 26, 2010, 07:10 AM
Happy holidays, folks.

I had been pretty much certain that I would be ordering up a Portenzo in January, but I've just checked out the 'The Case for iPad, Volume 3 (http://padandquill.com/the-case-for-ipad.html)' from Pad and Quill. This looks to be very similar quality to Portenzo's offering (the Dodo is not even on my list of potentials), so I'm interested to hear any thoughts anyone might have that would help me decide between these two possibilities.

Anyone got any comments on the security of the iPad in the Pad and Quill case? Specifically, is the iPad held in there as well as it would be in the Portenzo? I wish I could find a video demo of the Pad and Quill case, similar to this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnYRr1puGIE&feature=player_embedded) for the Portenzo.

In advance - thanks much...

Al

usafgator
Dec 26, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks it looks even better with the matching background -- except for the bad iPhone 4 picture :D

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/2876/img0520z.jpg

which blue is that? dark blue or sky blue? on the site, one looks darker and the other lighter compared to your pic. Thanks!

bigbro1096
Dec 26, 2010, 04:54 PM
which blue is that? dark blue or sky blue? on the site, one looks darker and the other lighter compared to your pic. Thanks!

Sky blue

Groundhog66
Dec 26, 2010, 09:41 PM
Ordered one last night with a Purple liner :cool:

87vert
Dec 27, 2010, 06:21 AM
Sky blue

Correct!

ugahairydawgs
Dec 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
Anyone know of any active coupon codes for these cases?

87vert
Dec 27, 2010, 10:59 AM
Anyone know of any active coupon codes for these cases?

Someone had asked them on twitter a few days ago and they responded that there are no current coupons.

ugahairydawgs
Dec 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
Someone had asked them on twitter a few days ago and they responded that there are no current coupons.

Thanks

mrl72
Dec 27, 2010, 06:10 PM
I have the regular notebook type Portenzo. I noticed that the edges are not very flush, are they supposed to be?

bigbro1096
Dec 27, 2010, 11:50 PM
Here is a true but short iPad case love story. When I first saw the Portenzo I hated it and said I would never buy it but 2 months later I fell upon this thread and fell in love with the Portenzo. I have now had my sky blue linen Portenzo case for exactly one week and couldn't be happier :)

Sparky9292
Dec 28, 2010, 12:36 AM
I've just ordered two of them. I have the stylus models and even ordered the boxwave stylus that they suggest.

My old case was a Dodo which was a piece of sheit.:mad: The rubber corners un-glued themselves and then the bamboo corners cracked. I was told that the Portenzo cases are much higher quality than the Dodo ones.

newmacbook
Dec 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
Someone a little ways back was asking about the Stingray leather option. I found a Portenzo website page that, oddly, only turns up in Google searches; scroll down to see the Stingray material. Also shown are other leather and non-leather options:

87vert
Dec 29, 2010, 06:25 AM
Someone a little ways back was asking about the Stingray leather option. I found a Portenzo website page that, oddly, only turns up in Google searches; scroll down to see the Stingray material. Also shown are other leather and non-leather options:

I asked about the StingRay and it was over $1000 for it. :eek:

Higgs1
Dec 29, 2010, 07:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I asked about the StingRay and it was over $1000 for it. :eek:

When I asked Darin he said $250....idk where you got $1k

pikkashoe
Dec 29, 2010, 10:40 AM
How long is the wait currently for delivery if you order today?

MNRunLeft
Dec 29, 2010, 01:04 PM
How long is the wait currently for delivery if you order today?

I ordered my red notebook case on Monday morning and it shipped this morning.

Higgs1
Dec 29, 2010, 01:41 PM
I ordered my red notebook case on Monday morning and it shipped this morning.

thats awesome!

Keep in mind however that if you are choosing one of the "exotics" or real leather ones they will take longer i believe

still waiting on pictures of the stingray case......anyone actually receive theirs yet?

PacMookBro
Dec 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
When I asked Darin he said $250....idk where you got $1k

Wow, Stingray is now $50 more than before (earlier in the thread).

Stingray is $199, or at least it was when I asked on October 14.

As we already are aware Alano is $35 more than before.

Premium case is getting more premium price.

Portenzo is definitely gaining some momentum.

mrxclean
Dec 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
After reading all the reviews on Ipad cases, I just ordered my Portenzo Alano.

Hope it lives up to the hype!

Sibilance7
Dec 30, 2010, 09:45 PM
Ordered one last night with a Purple liner :cool:

I hope you'll post a pic here or on their Facebook page when you get it. I have a Happy Owl Studios case, but I'm thinking of getting a Portenzo also so I can have a lower-profile option. I want the purple, but I want to see a pic of it in action before ordering. The color is so dark that's it's difficult to tell what it will really look like from looking at the little sample on the site.

downingp
Dec 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
While my black Alano case is the best case I have owned to date, I am thinking of selling it and going "naked". If anyone is interested, PM me.

Xrated
Dec 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
While my black Alano case is the best case I have owned to date, I am thinking of selling it and going "naked". If anyone is interested, PM me.

downingp, yes, interested in your Alano. I don't have the required five posts yet, so I can't send PM. Can I ask if you would message me, please?

Al.

downingp
Dec 30, 2010, 10:15 PM
downingp, yes, interested in your Alano. I don't have the required five posts yet, so I can't send PM. Can I ask if you would message me, please?

Al.

When I click on your profile, I am not able to send you a message either. I could email you.

Xrated
Dec 30, 2010, 10:50 PM
When I click on your profile, I am not able to send you a message either. I could email you.

I've just created a throwaway email address: buyingalanocase (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Once we've opened the communications there, I'll pass on my direct (real) email address. I'm sure you understand that I don't want to post my email address in an open, public forum....

Al

Groundhog66
Dec 31, 2010, 05:52 PM
Placed my order on the 26th, received it today. Really nice case, I am happy with it.

bigbro1096
Dec 31, 2010, 09:16 PM
Would anyone mind posting pics of the Alano?

bigbro1096
Jan 2, 2011, 12:32 AM
Yes, it is very wonderful, it is screen in touch.it can bring me a lot of value enjoyment. I like it very much.

This post is just weird and confusing

JonMPLS
Jan 7, 2011, 08:46 AM
I really like my Alano, and it is my go-to case for day-to-day use. Something about the way the bamboo frames the iPad is really appealing.

But it is cold up here in MN, and kind of dry. Being a natural material, I expect a little movement. I have noticed a little bow, mainly by the dock-end. Perhaps because the bamboo is thinnest here. Anyone else notice this? When it gets cold one corner pops out a little. Again, being leather and wood, I am willing to cut the case a little slack;)

bigbro1096
Jan 7, 2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry, for some reason my phone reposted this post...

bigbro1096
Jan 7, 2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah, for some odd reason no matter I try to get my iPad in it never sits even to the bamboo and it's causing the front cover to bend a little and when the stap is off the cover hangs about .5 an inch off the Frame unlike when the photos show it flat on the iPad. Also with the strap on it still sits about .2 of an inch off the iPad :/ its little things that for some reason are starting to bother me to death.

JonMPLS
Jan 7, 2011, 08:39 PM
Sorry, for some reason my phone reposted this post...

Sure, blame the phone :rolleyes:

Just kidding!

elhungarian
Jan 8, 2011, 12:52 AM
I just got the Marware Ecoview (http://amzn.to/hAVndF) and I love it. Doesn't smudge like the apple case. Makes it look like a professional notebook. The suede is super soft. It props up to view and or type. It's very affordable.

bb88
Jan 8, 2011, 04:23 AM
Would anyone mind posting pics of the Alano?

the PORTENZO sticker on my ALANO's cover is from my composition's extra

blackberrypilot
Jan 9, 2011, 10:19 PM
The portenzo is the best case around. I have the composition case. Love it.

PittsDriver
Jan 10, 2011, 02:19 PM
It is a gorrrrrrgeous case omg!!!!! I love it. Only thing missing for me seems to be the ability to put the case into a propped up position for typing...

budfoot
Jan 11, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thinking of selling my alano. Anyone interested?

I had communicated earlier in december with someone here, but thought that I was going to get a local buyer, but that local buyer fell through.

greenoctopus
Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'd be interested in buying it but i need to know if there is anything wrong with it and the reason you want to sell it.

Bob

greenoctopus
Jan 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
the PORTENZO sticker on my ALANO's cover is from my composition's extra

bb88,

So are you saying that normally the alano doesn't have that sticker on it? I would prefer mine not to have it at all.

Bob

ntrigue
Jan 11, 2011, 05:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I contend that the Yoobao Magic v3 is the best iPad case to date.

bb88
Jan 11, 2011, 06:37 PM
bb88,

So are you saying that normally the alano doesn't have that sticker on it? I would prefer mine not to have it at all.

Bob

YES Bob; normally the alano doesn't have that sticker on it

greenoctopus
Jan 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
YES Bob; normally the alano doesn't have that sticker on it

Thanks for letting me know. Just hoping that someone from Portenzo can get back to me and respond to my email so that I can actually order the case.

Been waiting almost 72 hours now and have tried emailing them several times already.

:(

Bob

themorningsun
Jan 11, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thinking of selling my alano. Anyone interested?

I had communicated earlier in december with someone here, but thought that I was going to get a local buyer, but that local buyer fell through.

Hi Budfoot. If you don't have a buyer today I'd be interested. Was going to get the Yoobao Slim or Magic based on price, but depending on what you are asking for I'd likely be interested in purchasing your case. I'm in Providence so *might* be local depending on how close/far you are from Boston.

I can't seem to send you a PM (just registered today) so hopefully you can send me a message.

Cheers,
Grant

daddysin
Jan 12, 2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks for letting me know. Just hoping that someone from Portenzo can get back to me and respond to my email so that I can actually order the case.

Been waiting almost 72 hours now and have tried emailing them several times already.

Bob

I have been having the same issue! I emailed Portenzo on Friday (yes, I know that you should never email a company over the weekend but I was super excited!) then again on Monday. Does anyone know of another way to get ahold of them? For that matter, does anyone know how much the Teju or Boar cases run for? How do you add the stylus option on to your order if it isn't listed on the product page? Thanks! :confused:

bb88
Jan 12, 2011, 01:05 AM

Bob

Bob, e-mail them twice a day to get their response!!!!! thats what i did before...:mad:

daddysin
Jan 12, 2011, 02:09 PM
Finally got ahold of Darin! He responded within 5 minutes this time! Just ordered the Teju case in midnight black! Sooo excited!!!:D

Xrated
Jan 12, 2011, 10:29 PM
Finally got ahold of Darin! He responded within 5 minutes this time! Just ordered the Teju case in midnight black! Sooo excited!!!:D

Now THAT will be a beautiful case! Please post pics when it is delivered!!!

a