PDA

View Full Version : iMac and Doom 3

mrgreen4242
Jan 7, 2005, 11:37 PM
I'm not asking if it'll work or anything else like that, I know that no one knows the sys requirements for it yet, but I was reading http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html and it states: Thatís a 1.6 or 1.8GHz G5 processor, 533 or 600MHz frontside bus, 256MB DDR SDRAM running at 400MHz and NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with 64MB graphics memory. So youíll be able to play World of Warcraft, Doom III and other fantastic entertainment. I wonder if the specs for Doom3 get announced and the 5200ultra is to wimpy (seems likely?) to be used if you could get some sort of reimbursement from Apple as thier product didn't perform as advertised/promised?

Just a thought...

Rob

Dr. Dastardly
Jan 7, 2005, 11:53 PM
With everything set to low, it could still run. They didn't say how fast the game would preform.

benpatient
Jan 8, 2005, 12:42 AM
yeah, i've played D3 at 800x600 on a 5200 U (granted it had 128mb, not 64 like the Mac one), and it was ok if you turn down every option basically all the way. You can leave "shadows" turned on, but that's about all...If you turn off shadows, you can play it with "medium" quality at that resolution, but man...it isn't worth playing at all without shadows...there's a reason people sorta stopped talking about D3 in the PC world 2 weeks after it was released....It's the perfect example of great graphics not making a great game. It's a shame, too. Cause the graphics are great. Oh well...the mod potential is good, at least...if you have a 6800 GT and an Athlon 64 3600+

:)

jadam
Jan 8, 2005, 01:01 AM
HL2 is the real game i want on Macs. Imagine playing HL2 with all the goodies and 5.1 sound on a 20" iMac(assuming they upgrade the video card to a 9600XT) mmmm yummy

jackieonasses
Jan 8, 2005, 01:32 AM
HL2 is the real game i want on Macs. Imagine playing HL2 with all the goodies and 5.1 sound on a 20" iMac(assuming they upgrade the video card to a 9600XT) mmmm yummy And get a sound card? because as of now, unfortunately it is impossible to run 5.1 on a Mac. The games don't have drivers for it.

kyle

James L
Jan 8, 2005, 03:00 AM
I'm not asking if it'll work or anything else like that, I know that no one knows the sys requirements for it yet, but I was reading http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html and it states: I wonder if the specs for Doom3 get announced and the 5200ultra is to wimpy (seems likely?) to be used if you could get some sort of reimbursement from Apple as thier product didn't perform as advertised/promised?

Just a thought...

Rob

From Aspyr's website:

Preliminary System Requirements (these may change before the game's release):

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later

CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later

CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster

Memory: 384 MB or higher

Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space

Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better

Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher

Media Required: DVD Drive

So... Apple's website basically says that the iMac matches the bottom end system requirements that Aspyr currently states is necessary. As to fantastic entertainment...that is subjective enough that you would never be able to pin someone down on that!

Veldek
Jan 8, 2005, 08:17 AM
Download the Aspyr Game Agent and see what they say about it.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 8, 2005, 08:52 AM
As a owner of Doom3 let me tell you that it isnt going to be pretty on a Imac period. Minimum reqs are just that and usually they stretch these so they can sell more titles. Imac owners will have to turn down everything and run at low resolutions something that kills off the main thing this game has going for it which are great graphics. Not to sound mean but its going to really piss off some new iMac owners when this title comes out. Ill never understand why they couldnt have offered a modern video card/chip as a option for the iMac but i guess it would eat into their holy grail known as Powermac. Still playing cant do that because of the powermac game. Its sad :(

mrgreen4242
Jan 8, 2005, 11:45 AM
Heh, I have no real intention of buying Doom 3, I just happened to be looking at that page and thought it was kinda funny. :) The original Doom was a great game for it's time, but sadly it didn't mature very well... I agree HL2 too looks excellent, and also sadly looks like it will never make the Mac... I'm hoping the Xbox port is decent. I'm also hoping that Quake4 (which is using the DOOM3 engine) won't suck. ;-)

Rob

invaLPsion
Jan 8, 2005, 11:45 AM
HL2 is the real game i want on Macs. Imagine playing HL2 with all the goodies and 5.1 sound on a 20" iMac(assuming they upgrade the video card to a 9600XT) mmmm yummy

My bet is the next upgrade to the iMac line will be a 6200 Ultra. But perhaps I have too much faith in Apple again. :)

mrgreen4242
Jan 8, 2005, 12:23 PM
My bet is the next upgrade to the iMac line will be a 6200 Ultra. But perhaps I have too much faith in Apple again. :)

Hm, i agree that it will stick with NVIDIA for some reason, unless they choose to use a mobile card for heat and energy purposes... so either a 9700 mobility w/ 128mb or something like a 5800ultra w/ 128... or they could do the totally expected and keep the 5200ultra and just go to 128mb :( .

Rob

invaLPsion
Jan 8, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hm, i agree that it will stick with NVIDIA for some reason, unless they choose to use a mobile card for heat and energy purposes... so either a 9700 mobility w/ 128mb or something like a 5800ultra w/ 128... or they could do the totally expected and keep the 5200ultra and just go to 128mb :( .

Rob

I don't think they'll put a laptop GPU into a desktop, or something as high end as the 5800...

Your theory about the 5200 Ultra would be a very likely choice, however.

CaptainCaveMann
Jan 8, 2005, 02:28 PM
I'm not asking if it'll work or anything else like that, I know that no one knows the sys requirements for it yet, but I was reading http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html and it states: I wonder if the specs for Doom3 get announced and the 5200ultra is to wimpy (seems likely?) to be used if you could get some sort of reimbursement from Apple as thier product didn't perform as advertised/promised?

Just a thought...

RobForget about it :rolleyes:

xelterran
Jan 8, 2005, 03:18 PM
Your probably going to need at least a dual 2ghz g5 with 2gb+ ram and the fastest graphics card money can buy to play d2 at acceptable frame rates.

I have tried it on a high-0end gaming pc once but honestly the game is nothing more than a technology demonstrator. After playing it only a few hours I was bored enough to not concider buying it.

CubaTBird
Jan 8, 2005, 08:36 PM
doom 3 had its time, meh.. only single player ne way.. the multi is just good ol' deathmatch..

mrgreen4242
Jan 9, 2005, 12:47 AM
I don't think they'll put a laptop GPU into a desktop, or something as high end as the 5800...

Your theory about the 5200 Ultra would be a very likely choice, however.

Eh, the iMac is more laptop that desktop... it's an all in one device where the screen and the system board are in a single package and use a single power supply. The limited space for heat dissapation is why I would guess they MAY use a mobile GPU (which use less power and hence generate less heat). Until they go to the 90nm G5 core they will need to especially heat aware, and even after that they will have to be carefull.

Rob

JordanNZ
Jan 9, 2005, 02:40 PM
From Aspyr's website:

Preliminary System Requirements (these may change before the game's release):

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later

CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later

CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster

Memory: 384 MB or higher

Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space

Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better

Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better

Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher

Media Required: DVD Drive

So... Apple's website basically says that the iMac matches the bottom end system requirements that Aspyr currently states is necessary. As to fantastic entertainment...that is subjective enough that you would never be able to pin someone down on that!

The iMac meets more than bottom requirements (with upgraded ram)... For the video card it states FX 5200 or better... There is a very big difference between a FX 5200, and a FX 5200 Ultra.

TheGimp
Jan 9, 2005, 04:01 PM
The iMac meets more than bottom requirements (with upgraded ram)... For the video card it states FX 5200 or better... There is a very big difference between a FX 5200, and a FX 5200 Ultra.

You won't be able to play Doom 3 on a G5 imac. Lay it to rest.

JordanNZ
Jan 9, 2005, 06:55 PM
You won't be able to play Doom 3 on a G5 imac. Lay it to rest.

Thats just about as bold as someone stating "It will run great".

mattmack
Jan 9, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thats just about as bold as someone stating "It will run great".I agree. It will probably play but if you are looking to play on High with everything on you will be hard pressed to find any PC that will play it decently at that level. The iMac is a consumer level machine nd it will play the game acceptably to someone wo doesn't mind low detail and low resolutions

TheGimp
Jan 9, 2005, 09:16 PM
The iMac is a consumer level machine nd it will play the game acceptably to someone wo doesn't mind low detail and low resolutions

..and expects a brisk slideshow. We're talking MAC here. Even on a fast PC, the Nvidia 5200 Ultra FX was the only card on which Doom 3 actually played poorly, according to the website. Ok, maybe at 640x480 and lowest detail, the game might run fast enough for the eye to be tricked into seeing onscreen motion, but it will still require mental interpolation.

mattmack
Jan 9, 2005, 10:16 PM
..and expects a brisk slideshow. We're talking MAC here. Even on a fast PC, the Nvidia 5200 Ultra FX was the only card on which Doom 3 actually played poorly, according to the website. Ok, maybe at 640x480 and lowest detail, the game might run fast enough for the eye to be tricked into seeing onscreen motion, but it will still require mental interpolation.lol
Doom 3 is a cutting edge game that pushes present day hardware to the max. That is all that needs to be said
:)

pgc6000
Jan 10, 2005, 07:39 AM
I think Doom 3 may be out to early for the mac...

Fortunetly for me Doom 3 is coming out for the Xbox and I happen to own an Xbox.

ReanimationLP
Jan 10, 2005, 02:28 PM
Hmm... its gonna run like crap. x.x No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

On another note, I am running Doom 3 on a 900 MHz Duron with a 9600 128MB card and 768 MB RAM, getting about 35 FPS on low and about 20 on Medium, and about 15 on high. It still is quite playable, even at 15 FPS, theres just slight pauses. So I dunno actually. Though most Mac games do a lot of the processing of graphics in the GPU instead of the CPU, it probably will run like crap.

Bigheadache
Jan 10, 2005, 06:08 PM
Hmm... its gonna run like crap. x.x No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

On another note, I am running Doom 3 on a 900 MHz Duron with a 9600 128MB card and 768 MB RAM, getting about 35 FPS on low and about 20 on Medium, and about 15 on high. It still is quite playable, even at 15 FPS, theres just slight pauses. So I dunno actually. Though most Mac games do a lot of the processing of graphics in the GPU instead of the CPU, it probably will run like crap.

What resolution is that?

James L
Jan 10, 2005, 06:42 PM
doom 3 had its time, meh.. only single player ne way.. the multi is just good ol' deathmatch..

ne way = anyway?

benpatient
Jan 10, 2005, 10:50 PM
yes, it's a shorthand.

and it is exactly as many characters as the "longhand" version.

and they say kids are lazy these days...

James L
Jan 11, 2005, 12:36 AM
yes, it's a shorthand.

and it is exactly as many characters as the "longhand" version.

and they say kids are lazy these days...

Gotcha. I guess it is shorthand to not use the shift key either then!

:D

blueBomber
Jan 11, 2005, 07:57 AM
What resolution is that?
Probably 4780x3457, which is just as made up as his performance claim :D