Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
cali
I plan on buying an 12 in. ibook G4 to replace my dell and will be working a lot with graphics. I plan to buy a larger moniter for in home work. any suggestions for when buying the moniter or the ibook?

mauly

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
nela said:
I plan on buying an 12 in. ibook G4 to replace my dell and will be working a lot with graphics. I plan to buy a larger moniter for in home work. any suggestions for when buying the moniter or the ibook?

also have well would an 12" ibook maxed ram handle final cut pro?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Every mac today will handle final cut well. The minumus reqs are G4 350MHz..
I would get an external HD, since the internal 4200rpm will be a bottle neck, both in size and speed.

There will always be something new, so why wait (well, wait untill MWSF..)

nela

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
cali
cluthz said:
Every mac today will handle final cut well. The minumus reqs are G4 350MHz..
I would get an external HD, since the internal 4200rpm will be a bottle neck, both in size and speed.

There will always be something new, so why wait (well, wait untill MWSF..)

what's MWSF? What would you recommend getting for an external HD? Also, does anyone know if the ibooks have problems when connecting to an external moniter?

Mertzen

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2004
]KLGA[
nela said:
what's MWSF? What would you recommend getting for an external HD? Also, does anyone know if the ibooks have problems when connecting to an external moniter?

You can either buy your own HD and FW enclosure and assemble them or buy one of the prebuilt systems from the likes of FWdepot, OWC, LaCie ..

You'll need to apply a patch to get extended desktop on the iBook since officially it only does mirroring ..

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
External displays on iBooks don't work well

Beware! Even with the hack installed you will still face the problem of having the graphics memory split 16MB for laptop display and 16MB for external display. The powerbook has been getting a lot of heat lately for not having updates and not being a good value. However, the fact of the matter is..... if you are going to be using an external monitor most of the time go with the powerbook. It will support clamshell mode (ability to use laptop while closed with all graphics memory dedicated to external display) and you can select whatever resolution you monitor supports. My advice would be to wait and see if there are powerbook updates at MWSF and go with a 12" PB. Just my opinion tho.

I must say tho. The 12" iBook with memory upgraded is one heck of a machine. If you do not NEED to output to your monitor at a resolution higher than 1024x768 then go with the iBook. Best of luck in your decision :)

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I bought an iBook today. I feel good. Sure Apple will release new models but the iBook G4 is a great deal right now. Since I don't need an extra display the iBook G4 works perfectly.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Chrispy said:
Beware! Even with the hack installed you will still face the problem of having the graphics memory split 16MB for laptop display and 16MB for external display. The powerbook has been getting a lot of heat lately for not having updates and not being a good value. However, the fact of the matter is..... if you are going to be using an external monitor most of the time go with the powerbook. It will support clamshell mode (ability to use laptop while closed with all graphics memory dedicated to external display) and you can select whatever resolution you monitor supports. My advice would be to wait and see if there are powerbook updates at MWSF and go with a 12" PB. Just my opinion tho.

I must say tho. The 12" iBook with memory upgraded is one heck of a machine. If you do not NEED to output to your monitor at a resolution higher than 1024x768 then go with the iBook. Best of luck in your decision :)

Wow... feeling burned are we? ;) Geesh, you've posted the same thing in 10 different places.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
hcuar said:
Wow... feeling burned are we? ;) Geesh, you've posted the same thing in 10 different places.

Haha. Yeah I am feeling a little peeved ;) In all fairness I have only posted that exact quote in two places... however different version of it have appeard in the classifieds :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
nela said:

More RAM is a must. The stock 4200 rpm drive is too slow for anything. Video apps will run but not well with it. 5200 rpm is fine, and I believe that also scores you a couple of extra GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.