Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRUCRACKER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
VA
So my ipod fell out of my pocket while I was sitting down and it fell maybe 4 inches. The bottom left, next to the home button, is pretty messed up and some on the actual screen. I bought this about a month ago so will they repair it for free? If not, how much will this cost?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
When I went to have my sister's back glass on her iPhone 4 replaced it was only 30 bucks; the guy that replaced it said we were lucky it landed on the back because it's an easy fix. He said it'd cost closer to 100+ dollars if it would have landed on the screen.

I know yours is an iPod Touch, but they probably will charge you and based on what I said above, it might not be cheap since it's on the front.

Hope that was a bit of help :eek:

TRUCRACKER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
VA
When I went to have my sister's back glass on her iPhone 4 replaced it was only 30 bucks; the guy that replaced it said we were lucky it landed on the back because it's an easy fix. He said it'd cost closer to 100+ dollars if it would have landed on the screen.

I know yours is an iPod Touch, but they probably will charge you and based on what I said above, it might not be cheap since it's on the front.

Hope that was a bit of help :eek:

Haha that is lucky that it was only $30. $100 is pretty steep tho :eek:
Thanks for the info :)

cprevost

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
If it's just the glass then it's not a big deal. The glass on a macbook pro is actually held on with double sided tape. You heat up the glass to loosen the tape (use a hair dryer) and use a suction cup to pull the glass off. New glass just presses into place. I'm sure it's the same on an ipod. If it's the actual lcd under the glass that's damaged then you are screwed.

TRUCRACKER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
VA
If it's just the glass then it's not a big deal. The glass on a macbook pro is actually held on with double sided tape. You heat up the glass to loosen the tape (use a hair dryer) and use a suction cup to pull the glass off. New glass just presses into place. I'm sure it's the same on an ipod. If it's the actual lcd under the glass that's damaged then you are screwed.

Uhh I'm pretty sure it's just the glass. There's no pixelation or anything and it works fine.

numbforsound

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Hi. I was wondering if you could give an update on what happened with your iPod.

I dropped mine a couple of days ago, less than 3 weeks after I originally purchased my new 4G, and the screen is completely cracked. Everything else works perfectly, so I hesitate to take the iPod to the :apple: Genius Bar only to be charged upwards of $150 for a replacement screen. In the meantime, that screen is QUITE unsightly...

So I really was just curious how you managed to get your screen replaced and for how much. Thanks!

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
Since he bought this recently I would assume that this is the new ipod touch, and if that is indeed the case then he is screwed regardless ;p The new ipod touch has the glass glued to the lcd screen, so you cannot replace one or the other, you have to replace them combined.

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
eBay

Hi

This happened to my 2G iPod Touch last year.

I bought a replacement digitiser/screen on ebay - it was about EUR15. Planned to replace it myself (the creen came with toold for opening it) but in the end it proved tricky, so I went into one of the Chinese run phone shops and they popped it in for me for EUR20. I expect similar available in most cities.

Screen is perfect, no problems since.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.