PDA

View Full Version : How much you all think Apple is going to charge for OS lion upgrade?

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
How much do you all think apple is going to charge for OS lion upgrade?

Most importantly, how much are you all willing to pay for it?
I hope it's not 129 dollars like it was from tiger to leopard. I hope they offer nice discount to early buyers like MS does. I would say 49 dollars would be reasonable. If it is more than 70 dollars, then I will wait.

ryan0402
Oct 28, 2010, 09:03 PM
It will probably be $29 hopefully they do not usually change prices of products like the imac 27 inch was 1699 last gen and 1699 this gen http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTc1Njg3ODQ

Mal
Oct 28, 2010, 09:07 PM
Snow Leopard was a special case, but Apple has been showing a trend of decreasing prices on some of their consumer software. I think $99 would be fairly surprising, while $79 would be absolutely amazing, considering this is a release with significant new features most likely (considering their pattern). Even if you don't care for the features they showed off, chances are something in there will be more significant to you.

Of course, I've learned in the last few years never to assume Apple's going to do what I expect, because they've been really shaking up their previous strategies in a lot of areas. So, I won't really be shocked if they do go cheaper. Somewhat surprised, still, however.

jW

rprebel
Oct 28, 2010, 09:13 PM
I kinda doubt 10.7 will be $30 like 10.6 was. Leopard to Snow Leopard wasn't a big difference. Lion looks like a larger update, and my guess is that it will be $99.

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 09:14 PM
Give the fact that iLife 11 upgrade costs 49 dollars and Snow leopard costs 29 dollars to upgrade. I hope apple will price it between 49 to 99 dollars for OS lion upgrade...
One can hope.

benlee
Oct 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm feeling $79

Ann P
Oct 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
Please be around the $39 mark. If not, pass!

mmomega
Oct 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
It wouldn't make any sense to price it over $99 because people could just buy the developer program and get lion when it's released.

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
It wouldn't make any sense to price it over $99 because people could just buy the developer program and get lion when it's released.
Then why was Leopard priced at 129 dollars?

goobot
Oct 28, 2010, 09:42 PM
idk. tho i think im gana wait for a new mac that releases near lions release date so it comes preinstalled. i hope they have a big macbook update then. so if it is 100$ i can use that and my student discount and save 200$

aristobrat
Oct 28, 2010, 09:43 PM
Give the fact that iLife 11 upgrade costs 49 dollars and Snow leopard costs 29 dollars to upgrade. I hope apple will price it between 49 to 99 dollars for OS lion upgrade...
One can hope.
IMO, the only reason iLife '11 was $49 instead of the usual $79 was because only three of the apps were upgraded, and the iPhoto upgrade was arguably weak.

Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard OS X updates were $129. Snow Leopard is the exception, with the reason that most of the changes were under the hood.

flopticalcube
Oct 28, 2010, 09:46 PM
I am going to wait until I see some more info. As it stands, it's a $29 package so far but I'm sure more stuff is coming.

Nermal
Oct 28, 2010, 09:48 PM
I am going to wait until I see some more info. As it stands, it's a $29 package so far but I'm sure more stuff is coming.

Indeed. All we've really seen so far is new touch gestures and fullscreen apps. It will need a lot more to justify a higher price tag.

At the time, ADC membership was $500. Now that it's only $100, I don't see the OS costing any more than that.

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
idk. tho i think im gana wait for a new mac that releases near lions release date so it comes preinstalled. i hope they have a big macbook update then. so if it is 100$ i can use that and my student discount and save 200$

I wish I was your case. My father's birthday is early December and his computer is like 4-5 year old. His laptop still runs window XP and I cannot wait anymore. At least, apple just updated iLife 2011, so I just saved 50 bucks.

For Mac OS lion... I will see. I hope it costs less than 79 dollars.

Bernard SG
Oct 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
There is a visible effort from Apple to drive prices down on the Mac platform (e.g. MBA starting at $999).
Also Mac sales are strong and growing so they have a larger install-base to amortize the development costs of Lion.
That seems to point to an affordable price tag for Lion, I would predict below $50, and possibly at $29 like Snow Leopard.

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 09:57 PM
There is a visible effort from Apple to drive prices down on the Mac platform (e.g. MBA starting at $999).
Also Mac sales are strong and growing so they have a larger install-base to amortize the development costs of Lion.
That seems to point to an affordable price tag for Lion, I would predict below $50, and possibly at $29 like Snow Leopard.

That would make my day...
But... But, this is apple we are talking about. I would love to be proven wrong, but apple will charge our souls.

kuwisdelu
Oct 28, 2010, 09:58 PM
My prediction:

$29 < cost of Lion < $129

canadadude
Oct 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
Any idea when this will be released?

LoganT
Oct 28, 2010, 10:21 PM
$129

hcho3
Oct 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
Any idea when this will be released?

Summer 2011.

GimmeSlack12
Oct 28, 2010, 10:39 PM
$99 or $129. It will not be $29 again as SL was not a full update, but rather an optimized version of 10.5.

MikhailT
Oct 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
One can hope.

iLife 11 is a minor update with just three applications being upgraded with a few minor features missing already (Apple already admitted that they are working on adding calendar support back into iLife 11). Of course Apple isn’t going to charge it that much.

Snow Leopard is an exception, in terms of the front end, it has not changed enough from Leopard to justify being charged $129.

Lion is going to be charged just like in the past, $129.

We haven’t seen everything that makes up Lion, Apple is hiding 90% of the front-end changes from us. It can be a huge 300+ feature pack release like Leopard.

$99 or $129. It will not be $29 again as SL was not a full update, but rather an optimized version of 10.5.
Not exactly, SL is an optimized version of Leopard in terms of the front end. It’s a huge overhaul in the backend (the kernel).

TheAngryKiwi
Oct 29, 2010, 05:30 AM
It'll be a more significant update than SL (hence the large difference between Lion and Leopard versus Snow Leopard and Leopard), so it'll be more than $29.

That said, it's been over 3 years since Apple released an OS that wasn't 'tweaks' so I think jumping back to the $129 of older versions would be very jarring for people - I sense $99.

wisty
Oct 29, 2010, 02:41 PM
About $9. :cool:

Apple will make it back on the App store. They don't want people sitting on the sidelines for this cash cow.

Tom8
Oct 29, 2010, 03:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

About $9. :cool:

Apple will make it back on the App store. They don't want people sitting on the sidelines for this cash cow.

The Mac App store is coming to SL too, 90 or so days Jobs said. I dont think they'd open it and then shut it down just to it's exclusive to Lion. There'll be plenty of people who for whatever reason don't upgrade, shutting down SL app store would be Apple stopping them giving Apple money.
News Flash, Apple likes money.

mmomega
Oct 30, 2010, 01:12 AM
Apple fairly recently dropped the developer program to $99. It used to be $499

mrsir2009
Oct 30, 2010, 02:41 AM
I'm guessing $99.

ovrlrd
Oct 30, 2010, 02:52 AM
$49 Upgrade version
$99 iLife 11 + Lion Bundle

Apple said that the reason Snow Leopard was cheap was because it the changes were not as major as a normal OS. Hence the name Snow Leopard includes the name as the previous one. Lion is going to be fairly big I think. They haven't even announce a tenth of what they have planned I think, there are plenty of major features they have not announced.

fivenotrump
Nov 1, 2010, 12:26 PM
$99, so 99 for us :rolleyes:

mulo
Nov 1, 2010, 12:35 PM
Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard OS X updates were $129. Snow Leopard is the exception, with the reason that most of the changes were under the hood.

I would pay more for under the hood updates then cosmetics..

sheepopo39
Nov 1, 2010, 02:51 PM
I haven feeling that it won't be $29. instead, I think it'll be in-between $29 and $129, something like $79.

cav23j
Nov 1, 2010, 10:42 PM
well iWork is listed as $60 once the mac app store launch's
$20 for each app (Pages, Keynote, Numbers)
so either they are dropping the price from $79 to $60 for iWork 09 or that's iWork 11 and it will be priced at $60

$79 sounds about right for Lion

o'glory
Nov 5, 2010, 07:11 PM
I predict that they won't be as generous with the cheap price anymore.. but personally I don't see much of an upgrade here so far. The App-Store Application will be available, as for iLife '11 with is already available. I know it's still a developing project... but they're going to have to be a little understanding here. The $30 disk was truly awesome, I upgraded recently from Tiger, and I'm extremely happy. If it's under $50, I'd be happy to upgrade.

NicoleRichie
Nov 5, 2010, 07:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Upgrade will be the price of a new computer. No support for older models. Ok not really but it feels that way sometimes...

Bernard SG
Nov 5, 2010, 07:38 PM

Upgrade will be the price of a new computer. No support for older models. Ok not really but it feels that way sometimes...

what??

Lordedmond
Nov 6, 2010, 03:45 AM

I have got to agree with this

remove the superdrive to save money , install the OS on a WORM chip ( Write Once Read Many ) so it cannot be updated hence you want the latest and greatest OS you have to buy a new piece of hard ware
:cool:

CosmoPilot
Nov 13, 2010, 05:01 AM
I'm thinking Apple wants to get this to the masses. Lion represents the closed loop between iOS and Mac OSX. "Back to the Mac," "iPad hooks up with MBP," "multi-touch gestures," "full screen apps." Basically, Jobs and company will now have a semi-contained environment across all platforms.

Apple has been clear it's heading in the direction of a completely integrated user experience from one platform to the other. Remember when iMovie came to the iPhone 4?

I think they will be aggressive to get this in as many hands as possible to close this loop.

I predict $49 upgrade, $79 full version.

roadbloc
Nov 13, 2010, 05:09 AM
$99, so 99 for us :rolleyes:
+1. Apple's UK pricing is utter gash.

MattInOz
Nov 13, 2010, 03:43 PM
$49 Upgrade version
$99 iLife 11 + Lion Bundle

Apple said that the reason Snow Leopard was cheap was because it the changes were not as major as a normal OS. Hence the name Snow Leopard includes the name as the previous one. Lion is going to be fairly big I think. They haven't even announce a tenth of what they have planned I think, there are plenty of major features they have not announced.

There were big features in SL but they were aimed at developers not clients mostly. So it was cheap so lots and lots of clients would take it up and give the developers the incentive to use those features.

You'd also have to look at installed base of machine to spread the cost of development over which as the first intel only major feature release. The numbers from the back to mac event would suggest the installed base of Intel Macs is at least double that Macs at the last feature release. They haven't doubled the number of engineers so the price isn't going to be as high as the old full release.

I think your on the money at $49
But could see it as high as $79
With Lion iWorks iLife bundle on Apple USB at$99 to $129

I think it'll be on a encrypted USB any way then all the futures releases will be over the network.

marshallbedsaul
Nov 15, 2010, 07:35 PM
what do you think the min ram will be

SXR
Nov 16, 2010, 04:26 AM
I hope it's gonna be 29 bucks , just like SL. But , I see a very good possibility that its going to be 100 or over. Simply because Snow Leopard was sort of an extension of leopard. While Lion seems entirely new, in some respects.

drewyboy
Nov 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Summer 2011.

Fall 2011. It's the typical cycle. Super small preview the summer before. Show of a few things that relate to the event (wwdc for snow leopard showed under the hood stuff, preview for lion showed stuff that was related to the event). WWDC before fall release a thorough preview showing innards that were changed, features, show new gui, etc. Then Jobs says "Release this Fall". It's pretty much how it goes.

Edit: I know they say summer of 2011 which to them pretty much means August/September. But I'm sure I'll be completely wrong and they'll release it soon after WWDC so probably sometime in July so that all (or most) back to school purchases will get the new OS.

drewyboy
Nov 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
what do you think the min ram will be

I'd say min. will be 2GB. But I wouldn't put it past them to offer 1GB. The last thing that they sold 1GB that comes to mind was the April 09 mini. I might be wrong about that, but I think ~2 year spacing is a good amount to say, sorry upgrade to 2GB, which a 1GB stick by then won't be much, so not a big deal.

hachre
Nov 17, 2010, 07:03 PM

Because the $99 Developer program didn't exist when Leopard was released.

I believe it will be $29 again, Apple earns their money through hardware sales.

SXR
Nov 18, 2010, 04:33 AM
I'd say min. will be 2GB. But I wouldn't put it past them to offer 1GB. The last thing that they sold 1GB that comes to mind was the April 09 mini. I might be wrong about that, but I think ~2 year spacing is a good amount to say, sorry upgrade to 2GB, which a 1GB stick by then won't be much, so not a big deal.

Yes I agree, hardware specs are moving up very quickly. I'd say Apple mostly sells Macs with 4 GB RAM.

karsten
Nov 19, 2010, 12:22 AM
I think your on the money at $49
But could see it as high as $79
With Lion iWorks iLife bundle on Apple USB at$99 to $129

that sounds pretty affordable.

SXR
Nov 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
Whatever the price may be , I cant wait for lion to drop!

Tears Apart
Nov 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
i haven feeling that it won't be $29. Instead, i think it'll be in-between $29 and $129, something like $79.

+1

Mike225
Nov 21, 2010, 03:37 PM

I cant see them charging much no matter what they add considering the chances that if you upgrade you will feed them money by buying their "apps" in their appstore.

hachre
Nov 21, 2010, 03:51 PM

I cant see them charging much no matter what they add considering the chances that if you upgrade you will feed them money by buying their "apps" in their appstore.

That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought of yet. iOS updates are free. They make more than enough from the AppStore. Mac OS updates might become free as well.

MaCamZa
Nov 21, 2010, 04:55 PM
That's actually a very good point I hadn't thought of yet. iOS updates are free. They make more than enough from the AppStore. Mac OS updates might become free as well.

Now that would make my day. Yet i feel as if NOW is not the time. However, if they did, they would blow away Windows because Windows 7 (Home Premium) cost around 75 to upgrade!

I just wouldn't bet the chances. :eek:

Mike225
Nov 21, 2010, 05:40 PM
Now that would make my day. Yet i feel as if NOW is not the time. However, if they did, they would blow away Windows because Windows 7 (Home Premium) cost around 75 to upgrade!

I just wouldn't bet the chances. :eek:

Yep all those people who buy PC's will upgrade to Lion instead... wait that doesnt make sense since OS X doesnt run on non Apple hardware (minus hackintoshing).

Well maybe actually... Snow Leopard's $29 upgrade killed Windows 7. Oops, it didnt do that either. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS ever.

goobot
Nov 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
Ios upgrades were not free for iPods till ios 4.0 iPhones were because of carriers. Idk why they are free for iPods now besides the fact most iPod users are 10 and don't wana buy the update or because u can download the update legally off the Internet for free and install it just as easily but......

SXR
Nov 22, 2010, 04:37 AM
They wont because a new mac is still more expansive than a pc with win7 upgrade.

cav23j
Nov 22, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yep all those people who buy PC's will upgrade to Lion instead... wait that doesnt make sense since OS X doesnt run on non Apple hardware (minus hackintoshing).

Well maybe actually... Snow Leopard's $29 upgrade killed Windows 7. Oops, it didnt do that either. Windows 7 is the fastest selling OS ever.

well comparing Windows 7 sales to Snow Leopard's sales is stupid
how many computers can you run Windows 7 on?

TEG
Nov 22, 2010, 08:05 PM
10.7/Lion will cost $129, just like every previous version, save for Snow Leopard, which wasn't as major of an upgrade as previous version.

TEG

Mike225
Nov 22, 2010, 08:06 PM
well comparing Windows 7 sales to Snow Leopard's sales is stupid
how many computers can you run Windows 7 on?

Exactly why his comment on Lion killing Windows is stupid. You missed the point of my comment.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 22, 2010, 09:42 PM
10.7/Lion will cost $129, just like every previous version, save for Snow Leopard, which wasn't as major of an upgrade as previous version.

I doubt it. From what I've heard, if you're a developer, you get the major OS updates as part of that package. So, if being a developer is $99/yr, and Apple charges $129 for the OS upgrade, lots of people will just pay to become a dev and get the upgrade to Lion for, essentially, $30 off the asking price.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works. I see $99 or a little less as the likely price.

MattInOz
Nov 23, 2010, 06:06 AM
I doubt it. From what I've heard, if you're a developer, you get the major OS updates as part of that package. So, if being a developer is $99/yr, and Apple charges $129 for the OS upgrade, lots of people will just pay to become a dev and get the upgrade to Lion for, essentially, $30 off the asking price.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it works. I see $99 or a little less as the likely price.

Dev's get the release sometime around WWDC right?
At least those that haven't had it for six months now.
Well maybe that is Apple sneaky plan.
Sure not everyone will go that way but think of how many developers Steve can claimed joined the program on the back of the AppStore opening.

Marketing Gold right there.
until they find out there are more developers than users.

iThinkergoiMac
Nov 23, 2010, 06:29 AM
until they find out there are more developers than users.

Out of curiosity, since every dev is also a user, how will you ever have more devs than users? ;)

Blondie :)
Dec 2, 2010, 02:29 AM
I must say that I'll have to agree with what most others are saying and say in between $79-$129. Considering Lion will be more of an update than Snow Leopard was. Unless something truly amazing comes with it though, I don't believe I'll make the upgrade just yet. I'm a broke ass college student, why spend money when I don't need to :P haha