Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martinoli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hi,

I need a laptop that I can take to school for light photoshop work (image adjustments, cropping, filters, making HDR images etc, so basically for light use...

I can't decide if I should get an 11.6" Air or a MacBook white?

The Flash memory of the Air is VERY attractive, as it's less prone to breakage than a normal HDD?

The 11.6 screen size doesn't bother me, as portability is crucial, but will an 11.6" Air (with 4GB RAM) powerful enough for what I need it for?

Thanks

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I wouldn't get a White a MacBook under any condition now. There is no advantage of this machine over a MacBook Air whatsoever, except maybe FireWire and more internal space. You get a lower-res display, a spinning slow hard drive, it's heavier, and slower than a MacBook Pro. I am guessing Apple will phase out the MacBook or maybe replace the MacBook Air branding with "MacBook" name for the entire line eventually, and sell the MacBook Air as the new "MacBook" line.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
You'd be crazy to get a regular Macbook over the new Airs. Get a 13" and you won't even need to plug in while at school because the battery lasts a long time.

Macbook Air is much much better than regular Macbooks now.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I wouldn't get a White a MacBook under any condition now. There is no advantage of this machine over a MacBook Air whatsoever, except maybe FireWire and more internal space. You get a lower-res display, a spinning slow hard drive, it's heavier, and slower than a MacBook Pro. I am guessing Apple will phase out the MacBook or maybe replace the MacBook Air branding with "MacBook" name for the entire line eventually, and sell the MacBook Air as the new "MacBook" line.

Dude, seriously, WHY do you continue to post ridiculous information?

While it may not be for you or me... maybe she would need to have 5x the hard drive space, faster processor (almost 2x faster), a DVD burner, and a battery that lasts double as long.

Rather than slamming a product that doesn't work for you, maybe you should consider your answers. To say that there is no advantage of the Macbook is the most laughable response every. It's superior in EVERY technical aspect aside from the size\weight. For many like me, the size\weight aspect trumps the lack of specs, but to say "There is no advantage of this machine over a MacBook Air" just shows your utter lack of any fundamental understanding of technology.

People post on here for advice for them. Rather than trashing one of her options, maybe ask about what she's using. What if she's doing a photo shoot with thousands of photos? Would you still stand by using a 64GB drive? I'm guessing you would, because you're uneducated and passing bad advice.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
There is no advantage of this machine over a MacBook Air whatsoever, except maybe FireWire

Oh, so they added Firewire to Macbook? Must have been a silent update... maybe so silent they didn't add it on Apple's own website.

smokozuna

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010

While it may not be for you or me... maybe she would need to have 5x the hard drive space, faster processor (almost 2x faster), a DVD burner, and a battery that lasts double as long.

Rather than slamming a product that doesn't work for you, maybe you should consider your answers. To say that there is no advantage of the Macbook is the most laughable response every. It's superior in EVERY technical aspect aside from the size\weight. For many like me, the size\weight aspect trumps the lack of specs, but to say "There is no advantage of this machine over a MacBook Air" just shows your utter lack of any fundamental understanding of technology.

People post on here for advice for them. Rather than trashing one of her options, maybe ask about what she's using. What if she's doing a photo shoot with thousands of photos? Would you still stand by using a 64GB drive? I'm guessing you would, because you're uneducated and passing bad advice.

Good Post

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
People... stop pushing your own agenda...

Macbook AIR:
Thinner\lighter
SSD faster than HD, but small, so space concern

Macbook:
50% faster processor
5x larger hard drive
2x longer battery
Lock port
Ethernet port
Optical DVD burner drive

So many people are so pushing of their personal opinions. I'll state that I own a MB Air I just bought yesterday, and I'm not saying it's the wrong choice for her... but consider this before you tell her how stupid the MB is and how amazing the MB Air is....

- What if she takes classes where she has to turn in assignments on DVD?

- What if this is her only PC and her MP3 collection is 150GB?

- What if she is in class 8 hours a day without access to power?

- What if size doesn't matter?

When you give someone advice, ask questions before you put down the alternatives. Last time I bought a car, the car salesman asked what car I was there for. He then proceeded to trash the other models. Turned out the model I wanted didn't have the features I needed FOR MY PERSONAL NEEDS, and he looked like an idiot for recommending the car he wanted for me, not what best fit my needs. If you don't listen, you'll never learn.

Martinoli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for everybody's input...

A lot of your points are very valid, but i have a 2008 24" iMac as my primary computer at home, so i wont be storing music or many photos on the Air. Battery life isnt too much of a concern as i can charge it easily in class, i also dont need a DVD drive (i never really use the one on my iMac)

I'm pretty much dead set on getting an Air, but im still a bit worried how powerful the air will be with the 1.4ghz processor?

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Hi,

A lot of your points are very valid, but i have a 2008 24" iMac as my primary computer at home, so i wont be storing music or many photos on the Air. Battery life isnt too much of a concern as i can charge it easily in class, i also dont need a DVD drive (i never really use the one on my iMac)

I'm pretty much dead set on getting an Air, but im still a bit worried how powerful the air will be with the 1.4ghz processor?

I played with Aperture3 on the base 1.4 and was surprised at how well it performed. That being said, I'm thinking I will get the base 13 with 4GB ram just in case. Why not consider the 13? Price? Size? The 13 seems to offer the best bang for the buck if the slightly larger size is not a problem.

acemics

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
I'm guessing anyone with more than 40 GB of music would disagree with you.

I got the 11.6 64GB 4GB air and I have over 200GB of music but I have it on a network storage device with mirrored drives along with all my photos and other essential docs. I have a Lacie MosKeyto usb drive for other essential things that I do not want to have take up room on the SSD. I still have 45GB free after installing the programs I need on my air...I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone buys computers based on their specific needs...noone can tell you what is best for you. I love the air, but is it the right fit for everyone, no way...but it is for me.

Martinoli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
I got the 11.6 64GB 4GB air and I have over 200GB of music but I have it on a network storage device with mirrored drives along with all my photos and other essential docs. I have a Lacie MosKeyto usb drive for other essential things that I do not want to have take up room on the SSD. I still have 45GB free after installing the programs I need on my air...I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone buys computers based on their specific needs...noone can tell you what is best for you. I love the air, but is it the right fit for everyone, no way...but it is for me.

what's a network storage device? :s does it like wirelessly transmit files to computers on a network?

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Hi,

You should be fine, because of the SSD it feels nice and quick. I had a White MacBook before and the MacBook Air in no way feels like a downgrade. Unless you are a really demanding user and intend on running a lot of very processor dependant applications you shouldn't have any problems.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
my 2 cents - I reckon that if you can live with weight and footprint of a macbook then there's no reason I can think of to go with an 11.6 MBA. Cos those, and the fact it does look undeniably cute, are what you're primarily paying for.

Chances are the weight and footprint of the Macbook are acceptable to you, given you consider it an option.

I wouldn't be buying the MBA 11.6 at price being asked and spec being offered if I didnt absolutely positively need the weight saving it offers in return.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

Rather than slamming a product that doesn't work for you, maybe you should consider your answers. To say that there is no advantage of the Macbook is the most laughable response every. It's superior in EVERY technical aspect aside from the size\weight.

Yeah but.....

Plastic Mac is Plastic.

Mj2sL

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2009
I think it's already pretty clear, but I'd also recommend the Air. I have the 11.6, 128GB, 2GB version one week now, and it's awesome! I barely touched my iMac or my 15" Windows laptop. The screen is great, so even the 11.6 is a pretty solid option. BTW, I tried the Gimp and it works just as bad as on my iMac (lol). No, it works fine. Photoshop should also run fine for day to day tasks. I don't think the processor upgrade will do that much.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
I had a MacBook 2008 for 2 years. If you plan on taking you laptop at college on a regular basis get the MBA. If you take a MacBook around with you, you'll regret it after 10 min, guaranteed.

However I would recommend the 13" as you need some screen estate, and I would recommend the 4GB RAM even if not necessary will add value when you'll sell it in a couple of years ;)

If this goes out of your budget take in consideration these:

Student discount 14% on MBA
Do you need more screen or portability or both?

You won't regret an MBA, it's just orgasmic.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Hi,

I need a laptop that I can take to school for light photoshop work (image adjustments, cropping, filters, making HDR images etc, so basically for light use...

I can't decide if I should get an 11.6" Air or a MacBook white?

The Flash memory of the Air is VERY attractive, as it's less prone to breakage than a normal HDD?

The 11.6 screen size doesn't bother me, as portability is crucial, but will an 11.6" Air (with 4GB RAM) powerful enough for what I need it for?

Thanks

I've found that the MacBook is really a CrackerBook

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I had that same dilemma. I had to decide between a macbook air or a macbook. I picked the Macbook for these specific reasons. More hd, more screen, more battery life and has an optical drive (don't want to waste $100 when I can get one already installed on a macbook) more ram can be installed and you can easily install more hd, so if I wanted 500gb it wouldn't be a problem for me to install. If I wanted to put 500gb in the MBA that would be a problem for me. Plus it can install windows, not sure about the MBA. But those are just my reasons, plus this will be my main computer.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Several people (who knows how many) including myself are beginning to experience serious issues with irractic display performance. I'm writing this from my iPhone 4, so I don't have any links handy. Google it and you will see the reports.

My 13" Air suddenly displays a screenful of colored lines rendering it useless. Upon reboot it typically responds in one of two ways. It goes back to normal, or the display goes completely white.

I just took it into my local Apple Store, where the genius confirmed the problem. Obviously it's too early to expect a fix. Apple could not replace it in the store because it has 4GB ram.

They ordered a replacement for me, so it will be awhile before it's in my hands. Like any other ver 1.0 device, it does come with risks. I was willing to take them since I have other laptops to use.

MacBooks are excellent and well sorted out.

Feel like gambling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.