Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag227

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hi.

How do i set iTunes or what can I do to make it work as follows below...

1. I want my music on my MacBook pro.
2. I want my tv shows and movies on my wireless hd connected to airport express.
3. I want things I down load to be saved to the right place, eg music to MacBook pro and movies to external.

Should I set my itunes library location to the external so everything downloads to it from iTunes when at home. And then have a script that copies my music back to my MacBook pro in the automatically add to iTunes folder, or would this create duplicates?

I like having iTunes organise my music into folders etc, but should I turn off the copy to library location setting, so I can add music on my MacBook pro but not have it moved back to the external? But everything I download would be kept organised.

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Hi.

How do i set iTunes or what can I do to make it work as follows below...

1. I want my music on my MacBook pro.
2. I want my tv shows and movies on my wireless hd connected to airport express.
3. I want things I down load to be saved to the right place, eg music to MacBook pro and movies to external.

Should I set my itunes library location to the external so everything downloads to it from iTunes when at home. And then have a script that copies my music back to my MacBook pro in the automatically add to iTunes folder, or would this create duplicates?

I like having iTunes organise my music into folders etc, but should I turn off the copy to library location setting, so I can add music on my MacBook pro but not have it moved back to the external? But everything I download would be kept organised.

Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The first two can be done. The third can be done, but not automatically in iTunes.

First, set your default iTunes location to your MacBook Pro. Then import all your music into iTunes, with "Copy to iTunes media folder" turned ON.
Next, make sure all your movies are on the external. Turn "Copy to iTunes media folder" OFF and add the movies to the Library.

It will be up to you to turn "Copy to iTunes media folder" ON or OFF as appropriate from that point forward. iTunes is not intelligent enough to determine whether to copy a file to its default media folder based on content type.

Also, any music, movies or videos you purchase through the iTunes Store will reside in your default location when it's purchased, regardless of type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.