Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Just curious as to how many sold their Ipad and purchased the Air, and how happy they are with their decision after using the Air for a bit.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I Did!

Sold my Ipad last week going to buy a MBA air today just not sure which one. We also have an iMac(mostly my wife's work computer) and a 13" MBP. I've been wishing there would be an ipad with a key board and cover now there is! I know they are different machines but what I was running into was I couldnt reply to email to well with the ipad or edit documents or save documents and the MBA is just so much sexier looking!! IMO:)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I was going to be I was a bit disappointed in the update...I sold a mbp with ssd to get the iPad and I preferred the iPad so I can't see myself loving the air more than the mbp at this time

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
At first I was going to buy an 11 inch MBA, in which case I would definitely have sold my iPad. I finally decided to get the 13 inch MBA, though, because of its larger screen and increased power. Now I don't know whether I will sell my iPad or not. It will turn on what I think of the 13 inch MBA after I have had a chance to use it for awhile. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to find a 13 inch 2.13Ghz 4GB model locally or on a Web site that has them in stock but have had no luck doing so yet.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Did.

Only thing I miss is the compact form of the iPad when all I am doing is laying in bed watching some video via Hulu, Netflix. However Now I don't have to waste $10 bucks a month on Hulu+ since I have a real computer that accesses flash content, and no I am not a fan of flash, but I want to be able to use free content for free.

The advantage of the MBA is the stand is built in and makes it easier for me to just set the MBA on the bed or wherever and not deal with it falling over.

For the record, I will probably just wait to see what the Rev B/next iPad has to offer and end up buying one as the wife really enjoyed some of the card games and such.

David the Gnome

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
I was waiting for the next generation of iPads anyways. Now that the 11" MBA is out I don't see a reason to get one. The Air is way more useful and the difference in portability between the two hardly makes up for the loss of features you would get with the iPad.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I would sell my iPad to get iPad 2 or iPad 3. iPad will not replace my laptop and Laptop won't replace my iPad.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I just got my 11" MBA last night, but I don't think I'll sell my iPad. I have the unlimited 3G and don't want to give that up.

Blazer5913

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2004
My 16gb WiFi is currently on Craigslist with an Apple book-sleeve cover included. I am hoping to get anywhere from 400-450 for the combo (literally in perfect condition) and I'll use this money towards a 13" MBA w/ the 4gb RAM upgrade. I honestly don't know how some people actually think of the iPad as productive. I will be the first to say its really really really cool and a fun gadget, but I can be so more efficient and productive with a 13" MBA, even if it is a tad bit bigger/less portable than an iPad. If you are complaining about portability of the tiny tiny 13" MBA, then you have a problem haha

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Considered it,
but the IPS touch screen and portability of the iPad is amazing.
It would be quickly missed.

If I could only choose one combo
it would probably be a iPad/Desktop combo over an Air/Desktop.

Sure one can be more productive with an Air but thats what the desktop is for.
For portability, in car use, on couch, internet, maps, etc., the iPad is perfect.

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
I sold my 32gb wifi ipad and put the money toward a fully loaded 11.6" air. I love the air and I will use it much more than I used the ipad. I originally bought the ipad for reading, but it was too heavy so I got a cheap kindle for reading books and I read newspapers on my laptop, which I will do on the air. I like to write and I need and want a native keyboard. The ipad was sexy but I didn't use it much.

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
I had planned to as well, however as I was about to put it up I realized that I love it too much. It's just perfect as an e reader, especially for all the articles I have to read for class. As others have mentioned before, they're two completely different things for different purposes.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I wonder how many will sell their iPad and go with a MBA 11. Then down the road revert back to the iPad?

Both devices have their pros and cons. A big one for me is having Internet everywhere with a 3G connection. I am mobile in my job and being able to use the Internet anywhere without connecting to a WiFi hotspot is so nice and convenient. I wonder if 3G might be incorporated in a future version of the MBA?

I do know that if I purchase an MBA 11, it will be in addition to my iPad 3G.

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I sold my 32 wifi for 510.00 on craigslist, I do miss it but will hide the cash and get the lowend model of rev.2 on release.

I thought about returning the 11.6 but really need the extras it give me over the ipad.

MacChicken

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2003
I did. Don't regret it at all.

The only thing I miss are games :(

But I hope once the App Store for OSX goes live there will be more "small" games available.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I finally managed to get a 13 inch 2.13Ghz 4GB MBA at the Apple Store today. After using it for a few hours I am still on the fence about getting rid of my iPad. The iPad is great for quick and dirty Web browsing while I'm watching TV. Although the 13 inch MBA is even thinner than the iPad, it is wider, longer and weighs more than the iPad. On the other hand, when it comes to capability the MBA can do nearly everything my MBP does, including running Windows apps in VMware Fusion. The iPad can't do that or a whole bunch of other things that the MBA handles easily, so the jury is still out deliberating about the future of my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.