Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manzanaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Is it possible to update to iOS 4 on a pc different than the one your songs are usually on without losing all files/apps etc? If you have automatically sync off of course. Can you restore to backup or something ?

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
yes you can do an update, if you do a restore and update then you will need to restore a backup to get your data back. But I updated to 4.2beta using my MBP when my iPad is synced to my iMac. No Data loss.

manzanaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
So if i understand correctly, it is possible to do a restore and update on another pc, and do a backup on that pc..? If so don't bother to reply

Thanks

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
manzanaman - can you update this thread if you do this successfully? I'm away from home with an expired beta, and am considering trying to update from a different computer as well. I'd like to know how this works.

manzanaman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Yeah sure! Same story for me, away from home and sync pc but I don't want to wait with updating after 4.2 has arrived.. Unless of course I lose all my files.

But if I understood the first reply correctly I should be able to without much trouble huh? I keep asking cause I never connected my iPad with a pc other than the one at home, so don't know what happens

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.