PDA

View Full Version : New Formac TV Software

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 28, 2002, 11:05 AM
Formac released new software today for their firewire DV and DVR boxes.

I just installed and it adds tivo functionality and widescren functionality.

But as usual despite what they say there is still no fullcsreen ability. It crashes every time.

Guess I will be sticking with BTV for now.

heres the link: http://www.formac.com/html/shopformac.html?cid=shop_products_studio_osx

heres what they say:

Watch video and TV in a scalable window. Or choose TV modus for full-screen playback.

Float TiVeRon window above other applications to ensure maximum visibility.

Use easy to access controls to switch channels, adjust volume and to record video. Use pull-down menu for easy channel selection.

Use channel logos for visual identification (download of sample logos provided below)

Eliminate display frame: Adjust opacity of display frame to see only TV/video signal. Integrate TV seamlessly into your desktop environment.Set up TV functionality in a matter of seconds.

Use channel assistant to automatically search and save new channels.

Enter channel name and reference additional logo for easy identification.

Check-mark preferred channels and create individual channel list .

Create you own schedules and record your favorite shows at any time and date!

Remote scheduler: Create a schedule on a remote computer (e.g. office) and launch recordings at your host computer (via internet or network).

ftaok
Aug 28, 2002, 01:23 PM
Doc,

Is the Formac device "real" TiVo, or some kind of copy? I mean, can you download the TV listings like the TiVo device does? And do you need to suscribe to a listing service?

I'm kinda interested in this device. Thanks.

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 28, 2002, 01:37 PM
there is no subscription... you just pick the channel and time.

you have to know what is on and when and it records a quicktime movie to your hard drive.

ftaok
Aug 28, 2002, 01:42 PM
It records it in Quicktime? I thought it was recorded in DV. Maybe I should go look at the website again.

Thanks.

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 28, 2002, 01:45 PM
you choose the type of compression you want. But it is with the .mov file extension.

ftaok
Aug 28, 2002, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of getting it, but first I have to convince someone about the benefits of cable TV.

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 28, 2002, 01:52 PM
glad to help.

If you have any other questions let me know.