Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfkw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
I live in an apartment building that includes wireless internet with our rent, the problem is my apartment only picks up the signal in a certain place by the window and not in the bedroom. I have a Time Capsule laying around. My question is, can I run a ~50ft ethernet cable from the router next door (my landlord and neighbor are okay with this) into my Time Capsule and 'extend' the network so my apt has good coverage? The wireless router currently in use is a 5Ghz dlink router (I'm guessing it is the 5Ghz that is killing the short distance and inability to go through walls).

Would I set the network up to create a new one or extend an existing one?

Security: Can I keep other people on the network from accessing my time capsule HD in this setup? Would it be possible to password protect the time capsule HD with one password and share a disk connected to it via USB with another password to serve as a shared disk on the network?

Thanks!

chrisgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
This router next door is - I assume - what's providing your apartment with free wireless?

Anyway, yes, this should work, and you won't be extending the existing wireless network in your apartment complex, you'll be creating your own. Also, I'm assuming this router is already doing its own NAT, so be sure to set your Time Machine's connection sharing to "Off (Bridge Mode)" under the Internet tab in AirPort utility.

As far as security: this is going to be your own wireless network, not an extension of the existing one, so as long as you have decent, normal security measures in place, you (and anyone else you allow on your network) will be the only ones able to access the resources on your Time Machine.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
...so be sure to set your Time Machine's connection sharing to "Off (Bridge Mode)" under the Internet tab in AirPort utility.

As far as security: this is going to be your own wireless network, not an extension of the existing one, so as long as you have decent, normal security measures in place, you (and anyone else you allow on your network) will be the only ones able to access the resources on your Time Machine.

If he uses bridge mode, won't this also bypass the firewall on the router? I mean the whole point of bridging two networks is to integrate them as one. If that's the case - even if he has his own wifi password, he will be part of this other network, and unless he uses user level file access, his resources will be fully available to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.