Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I really hope someone can help me here. My girlfriend is over in China and we have been video chatting every weekend using Skype with no problems. Then last week Skype started going all funny showing us offline when we were actually online and so we were both sat waiting for each other to come online to talk. It was also being fussy at sending texts through. So we decided to use iChat for me on my Mac and AIM for her on her Windows laptop.

It worked a treat, video was miles better and the sound too. Not a single problem.

Now this week we went to try to talk and her microphone simply refuses to work. If she goes into the general windows settings it shows the (inbuilt) mic as working fine, yet if she tries skype or aim it simply wont work. She can hear me and we can see each other but I cant hear her because her mic is not showing up in either skype or aim.

I know very little about windows as I jumped to mac about 10 years ago. All i know is its a pain in the arse, that why i left it. I know its very little to go on but does anyone have an idea what could be causing it?

As far as she knows she hasnt changed anything herself, to be honest i dont think she would know how to anyway. The only thing thats changed is she downloaded AIM messenger but that worked the very first time so its all a bit confusing.

I really hope someone can help because being 5500 miles away and not being able to talk is really killing us both :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.