PDA

View Full Version : Honest impressions of Jaguar?

nemo
Aug 28, 2002, 01:56 PM
I'm using my computer for all sorts of graphic work and need everything to be stable before I upgrade. I've read plenty of great Jaguar reviews, but everyone talks about new features and don't really say anything about real world application. Of course it all looks great on paper and for a five minute visit in the Apple store, but does it stand up to hours of intensive use? So I want to hear from people who have been using Jaguar on graphic work stations, can I use Jaguar on my work station or are there still bugs to be worked out before the Adobe and Macromedia packages run smoothly?

Thanks for your input.

nemo

krossfyter
Aug 28, 2002, 02:03 PM
very good post. thanks for that. let the comments begin...

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Aug 28, 2002, 02:31 PM
Adobe Photoshop still seems to be the same, take into consideration that I haven't updated it to 7.1 but speed seems to be the same.

Toast seems to work, I don't know why some people can't get it to but it burnt me a cd in the same time it used to in OS 9.

loveshismac
Aug 28, 2002, 02:46 PM
day 3 on my Jaguar experience.
Installed on 3 graphic workstations. (dual gig, dual 800, 867, and a 667 powerbook)
First con, sharepoints will not work to share folders that are not your public share.

Second Con, have to redo all your printers.
We had 3 color lasers and a IP connected one in San Francisco. (Thank go I had that written down)

3rd
Remote desktop is screwed up. I use it at home and at work. At home with 2 machines worked flawlessly.
At work I cant even connect to the other macs. (havent had time to investigate that yet)

All Adobe apps work the same. Photoshop 7.01, Indesign 2.01, Illustrator 10.01
Still no preview through Illustrator open dialog box on shared hard drives.

Classic is faster.
Printer sharing works flawlessly. (Epson C60 printed wirelessly from Powerbook)
Over all speed of finder - amazing!
Its time for you to switch!

jelloshotsrule
Aug 28, 2002, 03:29 PM
toast will not mount images for me.. i have not tried to burn anything though

i did not reformat my drive, so that could be it. but possibly not..

Mudbug
Aug 28, 2002, 03:49 PM
I've got Jaguar installed on a G3 300, Dual 500 G4, and TiBook 800.

Across the board, Classic is faster.
On the G3 300, it's like I bought a whole new machine. On the other two, it's noticeable, but unless you're timing your incremental arbitrary rotations of .37 degrees counterclockwise in photoshop with a really good stopwatch, then you proobably won't notice. Unless, of course, you're in Photoshop 6 running in classic. That's lots faster.

The earlier comment about the printer setups are correct - you've got to reconfigure after installation. The biggest bummer is that my home printer is a HP Photosmart 1215, and the drivers that worked in 10.1.5 don't work AT ALL in 10.2, with no upgrade in sight for the time being. This is only marginally irritating for me, but has really managed to, shall we say, make my wife a little less fun to be around when it comes time to print.

krossfyter
Aug 28, 2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by loveshismac

Printer sharing works flawlessly. (Epson C60 printed wirelessly from Powerbook)

youve got an airport right?

benjaminpg
Aug 28, 2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by loveshismac

3rd
Remote desktop is screwed up. I use it at home and at work. At home with 2 machines worked flawlessly.
At work I cant even connect to the other macs. (havent had time to investigate that yet)
[/B]

have you downloaded the Remote Desktop update from apple. it is supposed to make it work in Jaguar

nemo
Aug 28, 2002, 04:37 PM
Someone on another thread said they were having difficulties with printing from Illustrator. Is anyone else having printing problems? Also, I'm wondering if anyone has used Suitcase 10 in Jaguar and if it is doing all the good things it's supposed to, as well as making pdf's through Acrobat Distiller.

It looks like Apple gave developers a large enough window between the time Jaguar went GM to its official release so they could get some updates out. I'm pretty psyched.

On the non-production side, how is the new Sherlock measuring up to Watson? A friend of mine swears by Watson and I'm wondering if Sherlock 3 makes it obsolete.

Thanks for the responses.

nemo

Mudbug
Aug 28, 2002, 04:44 PM
Also, I'm wondering if anyone has used Suitcase 10 in Jaguar and if it is doing all the good things it's supposed to, as well as making pdf's through Acrobat Distiller.

Suitcase works very well, but does make for some interesting problems when working with fonts of the same family of those in your system folder. Anybody got a good idea of how to change the contents of a suitcase if you can't open the actual suitcase file itself anymore?

As for AC Distiller, 5 sucks.
I'm still running 4 in Classic, and with Jaguar it's maybe 1 1/2 times faster than it was.

Hope that helps

RicFlair
Aug 28, 2002, 07:56 PM
I have to say, Jag is really kick ass. I have only used it a couple of days though, but it is awsome. But...I only have one thing to say. I thougt, at least there were reported in rumors, was that Apple was gonna have it where you minimize the window in place. Can you do that in Jag? Or they said to hell with it, next major update?

saint
Aug 28, 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by RicFlair
I have to say, Jag is really kick ass. I have only used it a couple of days though, but it is awsome. But...I only have one thing to say. I thougt, at least there were reported in rumors, was that Apple was gonna have it where you minimize the window in place. Can you do that in Jag? Or they said to hell with it, next major update?

Do you mean minimizing so that it just leaves the title bar, as it did in OS 9? If so, you can do that with WindowShade X (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/windowshadex.html).

I prefer the current 'genie' minimizing effect, however I don't like it when I have a minimized window in Explorer for example, and I click on the Explorer app icon in the dock, it automatically opens the minimized window when I don't want it to.