Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Wanted to let you know that I had great sucess overclocking the 320m in the Air. I used the same procedure found in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/904300/

This might help you starcraft junkies out there as it may give a 20% increase in performance.

I played MW2 for two solid hours tonight without lockups at 625 / 1340. (11" 1.6 4GB)

Thanks go to all in the refrenced thread that contributed to these findings!

efirmage

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Wanted to let you know that I had great sucess overclocking the 320m in the Air. I used the same procedure found in this thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/904300/

This might help you starcraft junkies out there as it may give a 20% increase in performance.

I played MW2 for two solid hours tonight without lockups at 625 / 1340. (11" 1.6 4GB)

Thanks go to all in the refrenced thread that contributed to these findings!

How much experience have you had with overclocking? Any bad experiences? I know it's pretty common amongst PC users but I haven't ever tried it myself.

efirmage

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Anybody else trying this? After reading that thread it seems people had a lot of success overclocking the 13" MBP, which shouldn't behave much different from the MBA, as long as core temps stay low.

RanEnRui

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2010
Anybody else trying this? After reading that thread it seems people had a lot of success overclocking the 13" MBP, which shouldn't behave much different from the MBA, as long as core temps stay low.

Exactly, my only concern is heat. Considering how hot the previous MBAs got compared to this, I think we could afford a little more heat before instability (and way before damage could occur).

Looking at the layout of the logic board, it should be fairly easy to tell when the thing gets pretty hot on the rear-center.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Heat is not an issue. The fans are able to keep up with their job. Honestly, the MBA gets much hotter while compressing video. (Handbrake)

I have had all four revisions of the Air. (Overclocked them all) Even with the older version poor design, I never had one issue while doing this.

After being fed up with the poor performance / heat issues with the older MBA's, I purchased an 13" 2.4 MBP. Overclocking the MBP's 320m in the same way as in this thread without issue.

Drivers used were the stock ones with bootcamp. I used Nvidia system tools, and skipped the fan tool.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
don't do stupid thing for MBA. that tidy space would be in a big trouble. it could be effecting on motherboard video glitch issue. it means that you should replace with new one. overclock is only working for graphic card, not intel core 2 duo processor. it's nothing to do with that. if you want, why don't you buy macbook pro which is equipped with core i5. it's automatically boost speed as you know.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Has anyone consistently overclocked their 2010 Air during the past year? Any negative side effects?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.