Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 8GB of RAM

I never saw a reason to run in 64-bit mode before, but I went to download Handbrake this morning and found a 64-bit version.

For those who know, at this point is it time to make the shift? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I don't really run Pro Apps anymore (I used to). Aperture once in a while. Mostly iPhoto. I get that most of my apps aren't 64-bit, but is there any reason not to shift my machine/kernel to 64-bit now? Has the time come?

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
You won't really see a huge difference either way. If most of the apps you run are 64 bit then the 64 bit kernel will be *slightly* faster(the processor doesn't have to do as much switching between 64 bit and 32 bit modes), but probably nothing all that noticeable.

Unfortunately Apple has really fallen behind the power curve on their 64 bit transition, largely because they *STILL* haven't created a real 64-bit Quicktime API, they said they weren't going to port the existing Quicktime API to 64 bit but the API they offered in it's place, QTKit, has *maybe* 10% of the functionality of the current Quicktime API(for example you cannot actually do any effects in 64 bit). And even the stuff that you can do with the API actually gets executed on a separate 32 bit process. Apple really should be embarrassed by that API.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've heard of folks that force their kernel in 64 bit mode actually see a decrease in performance. I don't know how true it is though. I just leave my in the default 32 bit mode. Everything runs fine for me like that.

I'll wait on Apple to make the kernel 64 bit mode default.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
It depends on the applications you are using. If none of them has problems running on the 64bit kernel, there is nothing which speaks against it. Apples decision to default it on new macs shows that its not just an immature experimental feature.

I have switched to 64 bit kernel six months ago (2008 MP) and didn't run into any issue.

macz1

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
another remark: Do not overestimate the advantage of 64 bit. Of course there are some isolated cases which profit a lot from it, but in general, the speed difference wont be really noticeable, as long as there are still many 32bit apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.