PDA

View Full Version : iOS 4.1 Daylight Saving Time Bug Strikes Europe

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2010, 08:35 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/01/ios-4-1-daylight-saving-time-bug-strikes-europe/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/11/01/093441-ios_clock_icon.jpg

Several weeks ago, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/11/apples-next-ios-release-to-include-fix-for-daylight-saving-time-bug/) that users in New Zealand and Australia had discovered a bug in iOS 4.1 that caused recurring alarms to go off an hour early after those countries switched to daylight saving time beginning in late September.

At the time, Apple representatives in Australia reported that the bug would be addressed in an upcoming software update, which many users had hoped would be a quick iOS 4.1.1 fix rather than having to wait until iOS 4.2 sometime this month. A fix has yet to appear, however, and with the UK and other European countries ending daylight saving time this weekend, the bug is striking a significant new population of users.

And with European users ending daylight saving time as opposed to the earlier groups in the Southern Hemisphere that were beginning daylight saving time, the bug means that European users are seeing their alarms go off an hour late.

Daylight saving time ends in the United States and Canada on November 7th, setting the stage for a fresh spate of oversleepers if Apple does not provide an iOS update this week.

Article Link: iOS 4.1 Daylight Saving Time Bug Strikes Europe (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/01/ios-4-1-daylight-saving-time-bug-strikes-europe/)

chameleon81
Nov 1, 2010, 08:37 AM
I was a victim :) but thanks to God I woke up naturally on time.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 08:39 AM
I was already aware of the bug so I changed my alarm settings to go off one hour earlier. :)

carltabet
Nov 1, 2010, 08:41 AM
Would be perfect if 4.2 came out any time before Nov 7.

ECUpirate44
Nov 1, 2010, 08:41 AM
What a stupid problem to have :rolleyes:

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
Come on Apple! This is just plain sloppy.

stridemat
Nov 1, 2010, 08:43 AM
I was aware of the bug. However, I forgot to do anything about it. Luckily I woke up naturally before that time anyway. I can only imagine the amount of people who overslept.

The Samurai
Nov 1, 2010, 08:44 AM

+1

Fail on Apple's part.

oldaaplexec
This happened to me and I live in the U.S. My alarm went off an hour early!

rauko
The bug hit us in Uruguay also when we went into DST some 3 weeks ago.
:mad:

jtropeano
My alarm went off an hour early today - and I'm in the USA.

h1r0ll3r
Nov 1, 2010, 08:45 AM
Aww man.......Am I going to have re-jailbreak all because of a stupid DST bug? Screw it, I'll just be an hour off my appointments until spring rolls around.

Willis
I remember this being mentioned but didn't actually notice anything different on my phone. Although, I did set my alarm AFTER the clocks went back, not before.

jamojdm
I just tested this in the UK with my iPhone 4 running 4.1

Set the alarm for 1340 at 1339 and a minute later the alarm went off...

Sorry guys I misread the recurring alarm as recurring problem with the alarm. Shouldn't speed read!

darkpaw
Nov 1, 2010, 08:47 AM
My alarm went off correctly at 6:30am. I'm on an iPhone 4 with 4.2 beta 3, so perhaps it's fixed in 4.2...

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 08:48 AM

Single event alarms still work correctly.

As it says in the first line of the report, it's alarms that are set to repeat which are the ones going off one hour late (or one hour early in the Southern Hemisphere).

bartelby
I was already aware of the bug so I changed my alarm settings to go off one hour earlier. :)

Smart Arse! :p

I figured it out on Sunday morning when the alarm didn't go off at the correct time, but didn't do anything about it for this morning.
Fortunately Tilly woke up only 5 mins after the alarm was meant to go off...

Digitalclips
+1

Fail on Apple's part.

An extra hour for all those Scotts to sober up :D

b-rad g
I have read that if you clear your alarms and set them up again it will be fixed.

sunfast
Nov 1, 2010, 08:49 AM
Has anybody else had their phone randomly changing time when on "set automatically"? I turned it off becuase it kept going forward and then back one hour

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 08:50 AM
I have read that if you clear your alarms and set them up again it will be fixed.

Then you've read false information. :p

koobcamuk
smartphoneLOL

This is very, very sloppy.

jamojdm

As it says in the first line of the report, it's alarms that are set to repeat which are the ones going off one hour late (or one hour early in the Southern Hemisphere).

Ah I misread that as it being a recurring problem, not a problem with the recurring alarm. I'll continue to set my daily alarm then!

roadbloc
I had this problem this morning... I blamed it on myself thinking I'd mistakenly changed the time of the event.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 08:51 AM
Smart Arse! :p

I figured it out on Sunday morning when the alarm didn't go off at the correct time, but didn't do anything about it for this morning.

Dumb Arse! :D

rhodalinsky
Nov 1, 2010, 08:51 AM
My alarm woke me up a hour earlier and I live in the US (MN). I set it for 5:50am and it went off at 4:50am. I re set it for 6:10am and it went off at 6:10am.

bartelby
Nov 1, 2010, 08:52 AM
Dumb Arse! :D

Yep!
:D:o

EDIT: But I'm going to blame Apple!

ChriswilliamsUk
Nov 1, 2010, 08:53 AM

it only effects repeat alarms not normal alarms.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/01/iphone-dst-bug-causing-alarms-to-fail-across-europe/

research before commenting

KindredMAC
Nov 1, 2010, 08:55 AM
get a real alarm clock and don't rely on a phone.

MacBoobsPro
Yep happened to me too. Luckily I was already awake or else i would of been late for work. :mad:

kiljoy616
Apple really needs to do better job at catching these issues, why so many problems with simple little things like this. :confused:

bartelby
Nov 1, 2010, 08:57 AM

Pfft! What kind of reasonable thinking is that?!?
:D

seamuskrat
I am confused how it is impacting people here int he US when there has not been a daylight savings time change?

I have my alarms set to go off M-F and have had no issues at all. I expect an issue next week, but untuil then, my alarm works fine.

But I concur, this is sloppy and takes away a critical functionality of the phone that Apple needs to deal with.

DTphonehome
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Geez, Apple, just put out a 15kb patch and fix this already. This has been a known bug for 3 weeks. Why wait until it hits the mainstream media and there's a mess to explain?

OllyW
Yep!
:D:o

EDIT: But I'm going to blame Apple!

At least Tilly has got the good sense to get you up on time. :)

zacman
Nov 1, 2010, 08:58 AM
"DST is a bag of hurt. Get a alarm clock! Steve.

-- sent from my iPhone."

tkermit
Nov 1, 2010, 08:59 AM
Not Apple's fault. DST's unneeded complexity is to blame! :p No seriously, I'm all for getting rid of it :mad:

deadkennedy
Nov 1, 2010, 08:59 AM
Why do you need that? (TM)

Mike84
Nov 1, 2010, 09:03 AM
Woke up at 5:14am EST today instead of 6:14amEST, which was what my alarm was.

I am in the US.
iPhone 4
Not jail broken
updated to 4.1
Synced practically every other day.

jll62
Nov 1, 2010, 09:03 AM

-- sent from my iPhone."

Ha...he'd be right, too.

firestarter
Nov 1, 2010, 09:04 AM
My repeating alarm went off at the right time - no problems.

Having said that, I did mess with the alarm settings last night, so maybe that resets the times correctly?

herr_neumann
Nov 1, 2010, 09:04 AM

Same here. Not the way to start off the work week. Sleep is a rare and precious resource....

david77
Nov 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
"We were SHOCKED to find that the formula we were using to calculate Daylight Savings Time was completely wrong." - S. Jobs

parish
Nov 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
It made me chuckle when I thought about all Apple employees in Curpertino turning up for work an hour late next Monday after the US ends DST - maybe Apple will take notice then :p

Rocketman
Nov 1, 2010, 09:06 AM
When Apple starts impacting real people's lives in real ways they may lose some of their luster. I would be right on top of this if I were Apple.

- DST bug
- iPhoto data loss
- Time Machine issues

When you start losing people's data and job security, all of a sudden it doesn't matter how magical your device is.

When 10.6 rolls around I hope they keep 10.5.x as the primary OS and let folks OPTIONALLY boot into 10.6 (or make 10.6 calls) for tasks specific to it while stability issues are worked out through 10.6.3 at least.

Can we agree 10.5 wasn't really stable till .4 or .5? I want my main computer to be stable enough for grandma to use. That way it annoys ME less.

Rocketman

Full of Win
Nov 1, 2010, 09:06 AM
I'm sure the Kool-aid drinkers will somehow find a way to not blame Apple Consumer Electronics (ACE) over this.

You know who is to blame here? Time, yes time. How dare it continue without consulting Apple first. Also, its crazy to even think that three weeks is enough time to push out an update to fix this, I'm sure it will take months to test and for Apple to get it to us. They are so good at OSes, that they make sure it is 100% right, and we all know how complex it is to fix such a code error. Kudos to Apple.

cohibadad
Nov 1, 2010, 09:07 AM
Daylight Savings Time is idiotic. I guess Apple needs to lead the world by the nose to get things corrected again.

DTphonehome
Nov 1, 2010, 09:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

-- sent from my iPhone."

"we don't see DST taking off at this time"

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm sure the Kool-aid drinkers will somehow find a way to not blame Apple Consumer Electronics (ACE) over this.

You didn't have to wait very long. :D

Daylight Savings Time is idiotic. I guess Apple needs to lead the world by the nose to get things corrected again.

mytdave
Nov 1, 2010, 09:10 AM
What an embarrassment for Apple. *hangs head in shame*

Andronicus
Nov 1, 2010, 09:10 AM
Deleting and then re-adding the alarms should fix the bug.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 09:12 AM
Deleting and then re-adding the alarms should fix the bug.

It doesn't work.

mBox
Nov 1, 2010, 09:12 AM
Come on Apple! This is just plain sloppy.Yea why not give us the good stuff like the ones on Windows :)
I love re-installing my XP at least 4 times a year to flush out the crap that leaks in from the interweb :P
LOL!

Stuipdboy1000
Nov 1, 2010, 09:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't understand how Apple couldn't just have released iOS 4.1.1 to fix this, rather than just leave it until the next major update (which at the point of discovery was more than a month away).

Silly Apple.

ghostlyorb
Nov 1, 2010, 09:15 AM
Happened to me this morning... I'm in the US... and I had it set for 7:09 and it went off at 6:09. Kinda weird but made me wake up early.. =(

SandboxGeneral
Nov 1, 2010, 09:16 AM
I wonder if they knew about this while developing 4.2. Do you think now that they know about it today, that it will push back the release of 4.2 in order to fix it?

Mr Baldman
This caught me and my wife out this morning and were an hour late getting up :eek:

what really pissed me off was to find out that this is a known bug and they have done nothing to sort out an interim patch.

Im a dev manager, and have to organise what patches get made before full releases based on customer impact and other factors. This type of bug would have been top of my list for an 'out-of-release-cycle' patch.

Although I'm sure when Apple realised they could have 4.2 out before the USA change over to daylight saving they decided to leave it. :mad:

mikeyhu
Yea why not give us the good stuff like the ones on Windows :)
I love re-installing my XP at least 4 times a year to flush out the crap that leaks in from the interweb :P
LOL!

Very lame. XP is ten years old. Apple is constantly hyping their OS as the most advanced in the world and yet it can't even tell the time, even XP didn't seem to have a problem with that.

MSUSpartan
Nov 1, 2010, 09:18 AM
You just wake up an hour earlier or an hour later than usual. Not a big deal.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 09:19 AM
Yea why not give us the good stuff like the ones on Windows :)
LOL!

At least they could program a simple DST algorithm.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 09:19 AM

Waking up an hour late could be a big deal.

NinjaHERO
Nov 1, 2010, 09:21 AM
This is just hilarious. I wonder if Steve Jobs will come out and say he doesn't like day light savings time so there. :D

OzyOly
Nov 1, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was late for uni because of this. Cheers apple...

kdarling
Nov 1, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm in rare full sympathy with Apple's developers on this one.

DST bugs, especially with Congress meddling for American users, cause more trouble than the so-called Y2K problem ever did.

That said, I'd sure hate to be in the shoes of the Apple iOS tester group right now.

And Apple corporate gets no slack at all for failing to put out a fix once it was known. That's just total disregard for their customers.

iStudentUK
Nov 1, 2010, 09:25 AM

-- sent from my iPhone."

Your holding on to your sense of time wrong.

-Sent from my iPhone.

ngenerator
Nov 1, 2010, 09:25 AM
Happy I went back down to 3.1.3 this past week :D

bindle
Nov 1, 2010, 09:26 AM
Come on apple...give us our 400mb alarm clock bug fix. I'm in Oz and haven't used my alarm clock app in weeks...i never remember to restart all my alarms every day. Made me reunite with my digital watch though.

daneoni
Nov 1, 2010, 09:27 AM
That 4.2 update had better be the mother of all updates...but sadly it won't be.

MSUSpartan
Nov 1, 2010, 09:29 AM
Waking up an hour late could be a big deal.

No one will be using DST, the world is moving to Apple Standard Time.

D'Illusion
Nov 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
smartphoneLOL

This is very, very sloppy.

No, the term is "Revolutionary" :p

In this case it truly is revolutionary, an alarm that wakes you up an hour late :eek:

AtHomeBoy_2000
Nov 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
Can we do away with "Daylight Savings time" world wide? Just shift everything back 30 minutes and leave it that way permanently.

Concorde Rules
Nov 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
When Apple starts impacting real people's lives in real ways they may lose some of their luster. I would be right on top of this if I were Apple.

- DST bug
- iPhoto data loss
- Time Machine issues

When you start losing people's data and job security, all of a sudden it doesn't matter how magical your device is.

When 10.6 rolls around I hope they keep 10.5.x as the primary OS and let folks OPTIONALLY boot into 10.6 (or make 10.6 calls) for tasks specific to it while stability issues are worked out through 10.6.3 at least.

Can we agree 10.5 wasn't really stable till .4 or .5? I want my main computer to be stable enough for grandma to use. That way it annoys ME less.

Rocketman

Time Machine Issues? What time Machine issues?

10.2/10.3/10.4/10.5 was stable from the moment I got it [launch on all occasions], and so was 10.6.

I don't know what you people with problems to do your equipment but I've never had any issues.

Not even the DST bug has hit me, plus I don't use iPhoto.

Nothing to complain about from me.

D'Illusion
Nov 1, 2010, 09:32 AM
No one will be using DST, the world is moving to Apple Standard Time.

Let's just hope they don't adopt iMac GPU Time, then we'll be a year behind instead of an hour :eek:

millertime021
Nov 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
haha Arizona doesn't change for DST.

My 5:30 alarm set for Weekdays hasn't had any issues and shouldn't have any issues.

However, for reasons like this, I have two alarms set.

MSUSpartan
Nov 1, 2010, 09:34 AM
Let's just hope they don't adopt iMac GPU Time, then we'll be a year behind instead of an hour :eek:

But the clocks will look so beautiful!

DTphonehome

Do you even have a job?

rowley
Found out about this morning.

Woke at 6 instead of 5:30, when the alarm was supposed to go off.

A fix would be good.

Love
Wirelessly posted (The Evil Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

*moves to Saskatchewan*

fxtech
Nov 1, 2010, 09:35 AM
Pfft! What kind of reasonable thinking is that?!?

Think different!

zorinlynx
Nov 1, 2010, 09:36 AM
Okay seriously Apple, WTF?

Basic unit testing should have found this bug, and it should have been fixed long before release.

The alarm is a critical function of any phone these days. People depend on these to be on time for work, appointments, and so on.

This rampant unreliability in cel phone alarms is why I still use my 1984 vintage Panasonic clock radio to wake up every morning. Not only is it so loud I'd only sleep through it if I were dead, but it keeps PERFECT time (over months it doesn't even lose a minute) and doesn't care about DST or even what date it is.

solaar
Nov 1, 2010, 09:36 AM
I just turned the alarm off and then back on again yesterday after the switch, it works fine now.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 09:37 AM

DST bugs, especially with Congress meddling for American users, cause more trouble than the so-called Y2K problem ever did.

I could not disagree more. DST has been with us since the dawn of computing and it's a fairly trivial problem to solve. Y2K was a once only event with issues riddled throughout code bases with very little regularity and with many unknown results. The scale of the two problems does not even come close to being similar.

umag
I Did woke up an hour later but went to school normally.
I only realized I was late entering the school, Lol.
That was rather annoying.

Fix the bug.

MSUSpartan

Do you even have a job?

Oh I thought we were here to protect Apple. I read above some guy wanted to get rid of DST all together, I mean this really is the last straw isn't it?

AtHomeBoy_2000
But the clocks will look so beautiful!

But they will be over priced and not very customizable.

Ferry888
Nov 1, 2010, 09:38 AM
The bigger Apple gets, the more they start to behave like Microsoft. Buggy, slow, such an update should be top priorty.

Folkabuss
Nov 1, 2010, 09:40 AM
I have a handful of reoccuring alarms every day. I fixed this issue by simply restarting the phone.
/Jacob

Correction: Not so! It was one of the non-repeating alarms that worked. Sorry about that!

ltcol266845
Nov 1, 2010, 09:41 AM

Same here. Was super confused at 5:15am...

Dreyesbo
Nov 1, 2010, 09:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Mexico, where the DST just changed too, was affected as well. (Just woken up late because of it)

nixiemaiden
Nov 1, 2010, 09:47 AM
Apple isn't the only one who has issues with DST. I don't get what is so difficult about this but I had the same problem with my HTC phone a couple of years ago. It changed all of my calendar appointments and alarms when the time changed. Seems to be a very common problem that people just don't think about when debugging their software.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 09:49 AM
I have a handful of reoccuring alarms every day. I fixed this issue by simply restarting the phone.
/Jacob

Nope, doesn't fix it for me.

kdarling
Nov 1, 2010, 09:49 AM
I could not disagree more. DST has been with us since the dawn of computing and it's a fairly trivial problem to solve. Y2K was a once only event with issues riddled throughout code bases with very little regularity and with many unknown results. The scale of the two problems does not even come close to being similar.

And I disagree back :)

As you said, Y2K was a one-time problem. And while I agree that it could've caused more problems than a simple DST bug can, it did not, for various reasons.

DST changes, on the other hand, occur twice a year, every year. Worse, changes do not use hardcoded dates, but must be calculated each time. This means that twice a year there's a chance that poorly written and tested "trivial" code can go wrong.

The evidence for this possibility is right in front of us today. The sheer fact that a DST bug is causing worldwide problems with a heavily financed and popular device, means de facto that DST is more of a problem than Y2K was... because it's an ongoing possibility of error.

And that's with a system that's updated fairly often. When Congress meddled a few years ago and expanded DST, they put at risk the code that was already in thousands of embedded systems that might never get updated.

Kelmon
Nov 1, 2010, 09:51 AM
Time Machine Issues? What time Machine issues?

10.2/10.3/10.4/10.5 was stable from the moment I got it [launch on all occasions], and so was 10.6.

I don't know what you people with problems to do your equipment but I've never had any issues.

Not even the DST bug has hit me, plus I don't use iPhoto.

Nothing to complain about from me.

Personally speaking, 10.4 and 10.5 both gave me kernel panics on a relatively regular basis in their initial releases, particularly 10.4 which was so bad that I contemplated reverting back to 10.3. Eventually Apple fixed the problems but it took them a while.

And, just to be clear, I take excellent care of my Macs.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 09:52 AM
When Congress meddled a few years ago and expanded DST, they put at risk the code that was already in thousands of embedded systems that might never get updated.

Why would Congress cause my alarm to go off one hour late here in the UK?

iSamurai
Nov 1, 2010, 09:52 AM
"we don't see DST taking off at this time"

I love your satire + pun :D :D

Steve: We'll be giving away free alarm clocks to those affected. This is all blown out of proportion.

HLdan
Nov 1, 2010, 09:54 AM
+1

Fail on Apple's part.

True, while this is in fact a fail on Apple's part, the complaining people on here need to adjust their internal clocks rather than rely on electronic gadgets. Blame yourself if you're not waking up on time. :p

Concorde Rules
Nov 1, 2010, 09:56 AM
Personally speaking, 10.4 and 10.5 both gave me kernel panics on a relatively regular basis in their initial releases, particularly 10.4 which was so bad that I contemplated reverting back to 10.3. Eventually Apple fixed the problems but it took them a while.

And, just to be clear, I take excellent care of my Macs.

Which machine were you using 10.4/10.5 on?

10.2-10.5 - MDD G4 DP 867
10.4-10.6 - Mid 2007 MBP
10.5-10.6 - Mac Pro 2009/MacBook Pro 2010.

Only issue i've had was the audio bug with the MP but nothing major like file loss or KPs or something.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 09:57 AM
And I disagree back :)

As you said, Y2K was a one-time problem. And while I agree that it could've caused more problems than a simple DST bug can, it did not.

DST changes occur twice a year, every year. Worse, changes do not use hardcoded dates, but must be calculated each time. This means that twice a year there's a chance that poorly written and tested "trivial" code can go wrong.

The evidence for this possibility is right in front of us today. The sheer fact that a DST bug is causing worldwide problems with a heavily financed and popular device, means de facto that DST is more of a problem than Y2K was.

And that's with a system that's updated fairly often. When Congress meddled a few years ago and expanded DST, they put at risk the code that was already in thousands of embedded systems that might never get updated.

The fact that y2k was a one off meant that no one properly coded for it in the first place. dst happens twice a year so it is something that programmers know they will be facing often. With y2k dates were being played with all over the code. Dst is usually calculated in one place.

The resources poured into fixing y2k were immense compared to what Apple has spent on ios and it's not a worldwide problem, it's an Apple problem. The fact that even simple devices can get it right points to sloppy programming on Apple's part. Congress has nothing to do with it as DST changes all over the globe and most places being affected are not even in the US. Even so, ios was developed after the changes. Apple should have tested this better. There simply is no other excuse.

Full of Win
Nov 1, 2010, 10:02 AM

That said, I'd sure hate to be in the shoes of the Apple iOS tester group right now.

And Apple corporate gets no slack at all for failing to put out a fix once it was known. That's just total disregard for their customers.

Cue the Apple apologist in 3...2...1... BLAST OFF

1. How do the US Congress changing DST affect users in the UK, Russia, Taiwan ect...? Please explain that to me.

2. The change to US DST was passed in 2005.... two years BEFORE the iPhone 1 shipped. Sure, if the change was made a month or two ago, but how can you pawn this off on Congress when the law change was done BEFORE, yes BEFORE the first version of the phone shipped? The answer is that you cannot. This was just sloppy programming on the part of Apple Consumer Electronics

The reason it was not fixed is becase Apple views us as their chattel, who will gladly eat any slop they put before us. They have absolutely no respect for us, if they did then an update would have been pushed weeks ago.

tigres
Nov 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
Mine went off on time today.

kdarling
Nov 1, 2010, 10:05 AM
Even so, ios was developed after the changes. Apple should have tested this better. There simply is no other excuse.

I think we all agree on that.

One trouble in today's economy is that companies have slimmed down their test teams.

Apple, while hoarding tons of cash that they could use to hire more people, insists instead upon "acting like a startup" and making their developers switch between multiple projects... good in some ways, but bad when it comes to people being able to devote time to make sure all their code is bug free.

Ah well. I'm sure that blame is going all around at Apple HQ today :)

Fender321
Nov 1, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'm in the US (California), and my alarm just went off an hour LATE. So it doesn't seem consistent here in the US.

hayesk
Nov 1, 2010, 10:09 AM

I have a real alarm clock. There's a bug in it. If I set it for 6:59am, it rings on time. If I set it for 7:01am, it rings on time. If I set it for 7:00am, it rings at 8:00am.

I guess, the solution is buy an analogue alarm clock, if you can find one.

slinky0390
Nov 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
The reason this is happening to us in the USA is because DST ends on the first sunday of November. For some reason, the phone is thinking it's last year because DST ended in 2009 on November 1st. None the less I was woken up early. To avoid this snafu, the alarm seems to work if you set it to never repeat or to repeat only on weekdays. Lets see if this actually gets fixed this week since Steve was probably woken early from his slumber.

AlexisV
Nov 1, 2010, 10:10 AM
I'm assuming this bug only affects people who haven't changed their alarm?

I happened to reset mine on Sunday night and it worked fine for me Mondat morning.

hayesk
Nov 1, 2010, 10:11 AM

A someone who had to do time zone testing in the past, I can tell you that the DST rules are an absolute nightmare. Not everyone follows the same rules, they do change (as happened here a couple of years ago), so it's not surprising there is a bug.

That's not to take away the blame from Apple, but it's not as easy as you think.

But seriously, DST is unnecessary - time to get rid of it.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
I'm assuming this bug only affects people who haven't changed their alarm?

I happened to reset mine on Sunday night and it worked fine for me Mondat morning.

Was it a repeating alarm or just a single event?

The bug only affects repeat alarms.

mikeoertli
Nov 1, 2010, 10:12 AM

I'm in Colorado and mine went off an hour early...

RMo
Nov 1, 2010, 10:15 AM

Can we agree 10.5 wasn't really stable till .4 or .5?
Fortunately for all, 10.6 has been released, and most people are using it without problems. :) I've actually never had any problems upgrading with 10.4, 10.5, or 10.6--but, then again, I'm hardly an early adopter. If you constantly have problems, perhaps you should consider doing the same. Has Apple ever allowed dual-booting with anything besides OS 9?

OTOH, I was quite and early adopter with Windows 7 because my job involved testing on it, and even that worked fine--save for the few apps that weren't written with post-Windows-95 security (read: any) in mind.

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 10:15 AM
I'm in Colorado and mine went off an hour early...

There have been quite a few reports from the US stating this. At least the alarm going off late in Europe matches the time change. :D

ephermal
Nov 1, 2010, 10:16 AM
In chicago IL my alarm went off an hour early

arkhanjel
Nov 1, 2010, 10:17 AM
Mine was going off an hour early too. Weird considering I'm in AZ and we don't change time... Just changed it from a re-occuring event and all is good.

SkippyThorson
Nov 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
Has anyone noted that there's a bug in iCal regarding Daylight Savings Time?

If I create an event in iCal that starts at 5 and ends at 11, the event actually says 5:00 to 11:00 in the details, but in the day view, it shows that it ends at 10 - an hour earlier.

It only starts on the day clocks get switched...

HLdan
Nov 1, 2010, 10:21 AM
I have a real alarm clock. There's a bug in it. If I set it for 6:59am, it rings on time. If I set it for 7:01am, it rings on time. If I set it for 7:00am, it rings at 8:00am.

I guess, the solution is buy an analogue alarm clock, if you can find one.

No, the solution is to go to bed earlier so you can try waking up on time.

slinky0390
Nov 1, 2010, 10:22 AM
Also, if DST is such a problem, I can't imagine what will happen once the climate changes and the seasons flip which will happen in due time. Winters will be 90 degrees and Summers will be 12, at least in Jersey.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 10:25 AM
A someone who had to do time zone testing in the past, I can tell you that the DST rules are an absolute nightmare. Not everyone follows the same rules, they do change (as happened here a couple of years ago), so it's not surprising there is a bug.

That's not to take away the blame from Apple, but it's not as easy as you think.

But it's all in one place. We have had 50 years to lick this problem. It works in OSX and ios pre 4. Apple has known about it for weeks.

I agree that dst is archaic and needs to go.

CrackedButter
Nov 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
My iPhone clock doesn't even work. If it syncs with the Apple server it's always set 2 days and sum hours ahead of the actual time. I have to use the clock on manual until a fix comes out, the upside is the DST bug didn't effect me!

PinkyMacGodess
Nov 1, 2010, 10:31 AM

That's what I ended up doing. I got burned with my Windows Mobile Palm Treo twice. Sometimes the stupidest technology is the best... An alarm clock is built to 'alarm' at a set time. That's usually its only function. Mine plays the radio (what's that?) if I want, but you set it and forget it. I use my iPhone to time things like stuff in the oven and my workouts.

Time is all relative anyway, right?

PinkyMacGodess
Nov 1, 2010, 10:37 AM
As someone who had to do time zone testing in the past, I can tell you that the DST rules are an absolute nightmare. Not everyone follows the same rules, they do change (as happened here a couple of years ago), so it's not surprising there is a bug.

Then throw in the whole leap year nonsense... I crashed my Windows Mobile Palm Treo by entering an alarm on February 29th. Hung the damn thing up tight. I had to reset it and then every time I went to 2/29 the thing would hang again. I called Palm and they knew about the issue and helped me blow my entire calendar away to 'fix' it. Once, in an early version of the Palm Desktop, it would crash too on leap year appointments. Talk about sloppy...

I haven't tried to set anything in iCal just out of habit with all of the issues that I've had over the years. I put the appointments in 2/28, JIC...

NATO
Nov 1, 2010, 10:38 AM
I was awoken just before 5AM by the taxi driver knocking the door followed by my '4AM' alarm which went off at 5AM. I managed to catch my flight with only minutes to spare.

I'm absolutely livid that Apple haven't put out a fix for this even though it was first identified as a problem weeks ago and has the potential to cause serious inconvenience.

An alarm clock just has to let you down once and you'll forever distrust it.

D'Illusion
Nov 1, 2010, 10:38 AM
I love your satire + pun :D :D

Steve: We'll be giving away free alarm clocks to those affected. This is all blown out of proportion. Apple users are probbaly holding the clock wrong anyway.

Plus here's a list of other devices suffering from similar problems

Fixed.

treyjustice
Nov 1, 2010, 10:45 AM
It happened to my alarm and i live in texas... lol

DTphonehome
Nov 1, 2010, 10:47 AM

I'm absolutely livid that Apple haven't put out a fix for this even though it was first identified as a problem weeks ago and has the potential to cause serious inconvenience.

An alarm clock just has to let you down once and you'll forever distrust it.

Amen. I use a regular alarm at home, but when I'm away from home (ie on call at the hospital, at a hotel), I'll use the iPhones clock to wake me. If I overslept because of this bug I'd never trust the iPhone alarm again.

droll
Nov 1, 2010, 10:49 AM
I live in UK and today my alarm went off an hour later.

iOS 4.1

marc.richards7
Nov 1, 2010, 10:56 AM
I live in the United States. I like many other users here in the forums use my iPhone as my alarm clock. This morning my alarm was set for 7:30, it sounded at 6:30. No joke. Odly enough it seems that since 12:00AM Today any alarm that I set sounds an hour early. I hope this gets fixed as an hour of sleep to me is greater than most things. Anyone else have this issue. (I live in KY)

convergent
Nov 1, 2010, 10:57 AM
My alarms have been going off an hour early for the last two days in the US.... its been a real pain.

Freecity88
Nov 1, 2010, 10:57 AM
Why do people need to use an iPhone as an alarm clock. Such a waste.
It's only a phone. /Get a life.
If you need something to wake you up, go buy a real alarm clock.
If you need someone to wake you up, go get a partner or hire a servant.

DocPenguin
Nov 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'll just add to the madness...

+1 for the alarm going off an hour early. iOS 4.1 in NYC.

At first I was pissed, but then I relaxed, knowing I could go back to sleep for another hour.

DocPenguin
Nov 1, 2010, 11:01 AM

Sound logic there :rolleyes:

I've been using my phone as my alarm clock for a decade now. Especially travelling all the time using the phone means 1 less thing I have to carry around. It's always worked without problem until now. It's a simple feature that should work correctly. Not asking for much here, chief.

magpie maniac
Nov 1, 2010, 11:02 AM
I live in the US (eastern time zone) and my iPhone alarm was set for 6:30 AM this morning.

It went off at 5:30 AM. :confused:

Bubba Satori
Nov 1, 2010, 11:03 AM

Cult Trouble Shooting for Dummies.
If it doesn't work, you don't need it.

ViOSta 4.1

NATO
Nov 1, 2010, 11:04 AM

1. It's the opposite of waste - why buy a seperate device when I already have an iPhone which sits on my bedside cabinet at night anyway and features a highly configurable alarm?

2. Yes, it's only a phone but it's a fairly basic feature of any phone for an alarm to go off at a specified time.

3. I have a partner, but am I supposed to insist that she wakes up at a certain time just to wake me up?

macse30
Nov 1, 2010, 11:08 AM
Apple's engineer must have written the DST code in Flash.

iSimx
Nov 1, 2010, 11:17 AM
I had to get an early important train this morning at 5:30am and I constantly rely on my iPhone to wake me up at around 5ish.
Thank god my body clock woke me up lol. I even decided to wait till the alarm went off and I kept wondering why the alarm never went off. It was only an hour later on the train my alarm started ringing...

geee, thanks apple :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I didn't rely on the iPhone.... :mad:

herr_neumann
Nov 1, 2010, 11:23 AM
True, while this is in fact a fail on Apple's part, the complaining people on here need to adjust their internal clocks rather than rely on electronic gadgets. Blame yourself if you're not waking up on time. :p

Because my internal clock as anything to do with my alarm going off an hour early.

If anything this screwed with my REM cycle and internal clock.

The extra two shots of espresso in my coffee seems to be a good work around though and should help other users experiencing the same problem.

PBF
Nov 1, 2010, 11:25 AM
http://cl.ly/348h/content

herr_neumann
Nov 1, 2010, 11:30 AM

WTF? Really? The entire concept of the iPhone has been it is not "only a phone."

Take a look: http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I am failing to see the, "it's only a phone" part of the page.

If you are going to try to toss around some insults please attempt to use some logic. Your argument is lacking.

DoubleParadoxx
Nov 1, 2010, 11:31 AM
I'm in the US Eastern zone and all three of my alarms went off an hour early this morning. They are all set to "every day".

Apple Corps
Nov 1, 2010, 11:32 AM

I fully agree - one has to wonder about the lack of effective, "real world" quality testing before release.

Spanky Deluxe
Nov 1, 2010, 11:35 AM
My fiancée massively overslept due to this bug this morning. I'm very much not impressed!!

NogbadTheBad
Nov 1, 2010, 11:38 AM

Why buy an alarm when the iPhone does it ?

ecapdeville
Nov 1, 2010, 11:40 AM
Its not just the alarm, my iphone 3Gs couldnt get the right time when I use the "Set Automatically" option even when my time zone was correct. My wife´s 3G was ok...both with iOs 4.1 no JB.

I had to reset it completely, and then the time is ok now... but what happened? I dont know.

Full of Win
Nov 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
For all those affected, why not just sent a quick email to sjobs@apple.com and ask why did Apple not fix a KNOWN bug before the day that the bug would affect users.

Apple is 100% in the wrong here; they simply blew off a known bug and paying customers have and are now suffering because of their ineptitude.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
For all those affected, why not just sent a quick email to sjobs@apple.com and ask why did Apple not fix a KNOWN bug before the day that the bug would affect users.

Apple is 100% in the wrong here; they simply blew off a known bug and paying customers have and are now suffering because of their ineptitude.

I can just see the curt reply.

Steve: it's no big deal.

Thanks, Steve. Helps a lot.

thejadedmonkey
Nov 1, 2010, 12:06 PM

A lot about Apple has been just plain sloppy lately.

prsguitarguy
Nov 1, 2010, 12:30 PM
Yep. Happened to me this morning. I live in the US and my alarm went off 1 hour early. I thought I was going crazy...I guess I understand their being a bug but DST doesn't happen until Nov 7. So why did it hit this morning?:confused:

bassanoclapper
Nov 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
No problem this morning at 04:45, apart from tiredness, obviously

vincenz
Nov 1, 2010, 12:47 PM
Apple won't release it by Nov 7 because that's the day the world ends

FanBoyTroll
Nov 1, 2010, 12:52 PM
Happened to me (Mexico). Woke up an hour late and got into trouble at work! :( I am not happy about this.

Mac-Addict
Nov 1, 2010, 12:55 PM
I woke up naturally just a few minutes off my alarm, but that didnt help me in lesson today when my alarm went off an hour later.

Full of Win
Nov 1, 2010, 12:59 PM
I can just see the curt reply.

Steve: it's no big deal.

Thanks, Steve. Helps a lot.

I was thinking the same. Or, he might give some BS excuse that the Kool-Aid drinkers will quote like it is an unquestionable fact; as they did a few months ago with the iPhone issue.

For example, Steve Jobs may say something like

All alarm clocks sometimes get it wrong

This will be followed forum post and YouTube music videos made be slightly mentally delayed people. For example...

All alarms clocks make errors, this is no different

Can anyone say they have had an alarm clock that has never made an error. Don't Blame Apple

I have 10 iPhones and non have given me this error, I even tested 20 in the Apple store... all were fine

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 01:02 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hour late for work this morning. Thanks apple for that! I can't believe they didn't fix this in time if they knew it existed. Just plain outrageous

baryon
Nov 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
I initially set the clock on my iPod Touch back because I wasn't sure if it was going to set it back or not automatically. Then I woke up sometime after 3AM because I was stressed whether I will be 1h late to work or not. So I noticed that it HAD set the clock back automatically, so it was now 1 hour early. So I set it back and thought it was going to be fine, but just in case, I used my trusty 20 year old CASIO watch. Obviously, my iPod failed to ring in the morning, despite it knowing the time.

What I have learned: Stop trusting "intelligent" technology for important things and just use good old fail-proof equipment.

Now my iPod Touch alarms keep ringing 1 hour late despite it knowing the right time. There is nothing I can do because everything is set correctly.

Stupid annoying bug.

NekoFever
Nov 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
My alarm went off an hour late in the UK. I was only ten minutes late for work but it's ten minutes later than I should have been. What a ridiculous situation this is.

Not sure how I'm going to get around it tomorrow. I might set a few different alarms for different times just to be safe.

iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1.

xPismo
Nov 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
Yep. Happened to me this morning. I live in the US and my alarm went off 1 hour early. I thought I was going crazy...I guess I understand their being a bug but DST doesn't happen until Nov 7. So why did it hit this morning?:confused:

Same here. Got up, was nearly out the door - and realized I had an hour to wait.... grr. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

ibosie
Nov 1, 2010, 01:23 PM
I set a second device to go off at 5am and I'm pleased I did that because the iPhone didn't sound the alarm until 6am!

stridemat
Nov 1, 2010, 01:25 PM

:rolleyes: My iPhone has the function of an Alarm Clock. It should fulfill that function...

Besides the point, but my iPhone all suits my life style. It will wake me up on if Im at home or in a hotel. I have got used to not worrying about it.

alosii
Nov 1, 2010, 01:26 PM
So daylight savings time started yesterday. I was almost late for work today because of the bug. This should be corrected ASAP :(

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 01:27 PM

This only seems to be recurring alarms. I just set a brand new on off alarm and it worked. A brand new recurring alarm didn't. Looks like I will have to either set a one off alarm each day or move my alarm back an hour.

Luckily I'm not the only one at work with an iPhone, so it happened to a few people. Being on flexi time helps, but it totally screwed my day up.

Cheers Steve, now you even dictate what time I get up

tod
Nov 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
This is doubly worse from my perspective as a developer of a popular clock app. Not only does the bug affect my own wake up time, but Apple's app approval policies make it practically impossible to fix this for my customers. If I submitted a fix, it would take about a week and a half for Apple to approve it. Then once Apple's fix comes out I would have to submit yet another version of my app and wait another week and a half. All thanks to the curated app store, and Apple's typical uncommunicative stance.

rdstoll
Nov 1, 2010, 01:29 PM
Yet another failure for Apple related to the iPhone 4. Ordering systems go down during the opening days of the iPhone 4 launch. Antenna issue. Proximity sensor. White iPhone 4 gets delayed and then basically cancelled. iOS 4 can't handle a simple time change.

It's all adding up to a company that has peaked. Stock is a sell.

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 01:30 PM

Alosii

Daylight saving finished yesterday :). Now it's GMT

Nov 1, 2010, 01:47 PM

Nope:

http://www.***********/?q=XP+DST+bug

EDIT:ok, seems I can't post a link: just google for "XP DST bug"

diamond.g
Nov 1, 2010, 01:48 PM
So alarms in the alarm section of the clock.app is what has a bug in it? If so, then I must have dodged a bullet cause I have been using it (iphone) to wake up for a while now and no problems so far...

Full of Win
Nov 1, 2010, 01:49 PM
This is doubly worse from my perspective as a developer of a popular clock app. Not only does the bug affect my own wake up time, but Apple's app approval policies make it practically impossible to fix this for my customers. If I submitted a fix, it would take about a week and a half for Apple to approve it. Then once Apple's fix comes out I would have to submit yet another version of my app and wait another week and a half. All thanks to the curated app store, and Apple's typical uncommunicative stance.

This is kind of comical in a way. If Apple applied their own guidelines for apps, then clock.app on the iPhone would be rejected, because it did not work correctly. However, Apple is A-OK including defective software and at the same time delaying fixes to others software that could correct the issue for other affected apps.

I thought the whole app store concept was to help users; not saddle them with a defective OS and then prevent/delay updates that could correct the poor coding on the part of Apple.

Way to go :apple:

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 01:53 PM
My solution. The alarm label is an important part of the fix

TheFlashGuy
Nov 1, 2010, 01:59 PM

I was late for uni because of this. Cheers apple...

Is anyone ever on time for uni?

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
Is anyone ever on time for uni?
I would have been late for deciding not to bother going to that particualr lecture!

OllyW
Nov 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
Alosii

Daylight saving finished yesterday :). Now it's GMT

If it's GMT in Mexico we've really got a problem. ;)

cohibadad
Nov 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
You didn't have to wait very long. :D

The day SJ and/or :apple: advocates Daylight Savings Time is the day I call them idiots too. But they won't cuz they're smart. DST is an idiotic idea with idiotic consequences and this DST bug is just an obvious one. When the world was rural and having a certain time on your pocketwatch be during daylight hours made you feel warm and fuzzy inside maybe it was no big deal but now it is ridiculous. It will end and people will laugh at those silly folk from our decades that thought it made sense.

Rodimus Prime
Nov 1, 2010, 02:09 PM
I am still trying to figure out how Apple screwed this one up.
I see sloppy coding all over the place in 100% apple fault. The Alarm code should be linked to clock. Which means that when the clock changes for DST the alarm should move with it.
Instead Apple has it linked up to something else which clearly is not system clock.

I can understand glitches in lets say your calendar events happening at the correct time and not updating correctly to account for DST but the alarm there is ZERO and I repeat ZERO excuse. The calendar excuse is a small one at best and really not a good one. This should be a simple fix and sad that Apple has not fixed it.

magpie maniac
Nov 1, 2010, 02:14 PM

This only seems to be recurring alarms. I just set a brand new on off alarm and it worked. A brand new recurring alarm didn't. Looks like I will have to either set a one off alarm each day or move my alarm back an hour.

You're correct. I'm in the US eastern time zone. My reoccurring alarm went off one hour early while my wife's non-reoccurring alarm went off at the correct time.

There's no reasonable excuse for Apple allowing this to happen if they knew about it in advance. Lazy buttholes.

flopticalcube
Nov 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
Nope:

Not really comparable as this was due to an unforeseen change in DST. Even then, they had a fix in place.

For those running XP, there will be a patch available that will be sent out as an automatic update on Tuesday. You will need to have Service Pack 2 in order to receive this update.

Vista users are immune, as that operating system was created after 2005 and doesn't have this bug.

Apple is in the position of Vista users here. It should be bug free.

AidenShaw
Nov 1, 2010, 02:16 PM
Nope:

LOL - the top search result (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst) is a Microsoft link advising people if they aren't running automatic update, they need to manually install the DST patches before DST approaches.

And, the base issue was that in 2007 the DST dates were changed in North America (note that XP first shipped in 2001 ;) ).

It looks like Microsoft was on top of the situation to update users for legal changes 6 years after the OS is released, but Apple doesn't care about a bug that they just shipped.

PS: My Windows phone has alarms for an upcoming trip - leave MNL 17:55 Sat 6 Nov, arrive HKG 20:00 Sat 6 Nov. Leave HKG 00:30 Sun 7 Nov, arrive SFO 22:00 Sat 6 Nov. No worries about the phone messing up even though I arrive a day before I departed....

rmiller065
Nov 1, 2010, 02:23 PM
You're correct. I'm in the US eastern time zone. My reoccurring alarm went off one hour early while my wife's non-reoccurring alarm went off at the correct time.

There's no reasonable excuse for Apple allowing this to happen if they knew about it in advance. Lazy buttholes.

That is ODD! I have a weekly alarm to wake me up for the gym at 445am and it went off this morning as it should. I also live in EST

lcdonnelly
Nov 1, 2010, 02:27 PM
I woke up an hour late, my alarm was set for 6:00am. It went off at 7:00am. How stupid. I'm on my iPhone 4, iOS4.1

TrickyTree1984
Nov 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
The day SJ and/or :apple: advocates Daylight Savings Time is the day I call them idiots too. But they won't cuz they're smart. DST is an idiotic idea with idiotic consequences and this DST bug is just an obvious one. When the world was rural and having a certain time on your pocketwatch be during daylight hours made you feel warm and fuzzy inside maybe it was no big deal but now it is ridiculous. It will end and people will laugh at those silly folk from our decades that thought it made sense.

I actually think we should be on daylight saving all year in the uk. More light in the evenings in winter. But apparently people in scotland do not want their kids going to school in the dark.

BigPrince
Nov 1, 2010, 02:38 PM
i am on the East Coast of the US, had my alarm set for 6am and it went off at 5am.

re-occurring alarm.

richbass79
Nov 1, 2010, 03:13 PM
I wish i could contribute to this but i was so badly hungover Sunday morning that if i had set an alarm i would have slept straight through it lol.

JoJack82
Nov 1, 2010, 03:24 PM
It is effecting Canada as well. Sunday morning my Alarm went off an hour early. This morning I set it for an hour later.

I assume it has something to do with the fact that the clocks used to change last Saturday. Friday my alarm went off at the correct time.

There is no excuse for this problem to still exist. They should have fixed it as soon as they knew it was going to be a problem.

Jobs is probably already trying to spin it as a feature...
"Apple gives you an extra hour per day, does Android do that?!"
sent at 5:45 AM from my iPhone4

herr_neumann
Nov 1, 2010, 04:16 PM
FYI, Daylight savings fall 2009 time change (US) was on November 1st. This would be why the alarms this morning went off too early starting today.

r-m
Nov 1, 2010, 04:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

For those tho are affected by this and don't want to change their time an hour out or set their alarms an hour out, I've found you can do the following as a temporary fix:
Settings - General - Date & Time - turn off automatically update. Change time zone to Lagos, Nigeria. Set the time. Test your alarms.

Lagos just happened to work for me, was the first one I tried.
Yes, this will change your time as soon as you change timezone, that's why you need to set the time after changing the timezone.

Not that it matters, but I'm in the UK.
Sorry if someone's figured out and posted something similar before. On my iPhone and didn't want to search thru all the posts!

higgalls
Nov 1, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hey,

I am in Australia, and the bug isn't just that the alarms were going off an hour late or early. It was reported in our papers that some alarms weren't going off at all, which was the case with me.

When I did wake up, the alarm icon was still on up the top-right corner, but when I went into my alarms, it was set to off.

The same thing had happened a few months earlier (when there was no daylight savings change). So it has to be a bit of a deeper problem than just to do with daylight savings.

i-John
Nov 1, 2010, 04:25 PM
My alarms today have been going off an hour early.

Nuvi
Nov 1, 2010, 04:30 PM
What bothers me the most is the fact that Apple hasn't given any explanation why this happened and when and what are they going to do about it. Its just like Apple butt ****ed millions and they think its nothing major. :mad:

Tom8
Nov 1, 2010, 04:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wondered why my alarm hadn't gone off.

Tha Professor
Nov 1, 2010, 05:36 PM
Happy to have a 2G...;)

Patchwork
Nov 1, 2010, 06:02 PM
Thankfully I don't use my iPhone as an alarm, though this error looks like it has messed up the timing of my recurring meetings which is a real pain as I have loads. One of my work colleagues was late in today as his iPhone alarm went off late and he wasn't too impressed when he found out Apple knew about the issue but have't bothered to communicate or fix it. All this amused the Android users I work with no end as they didn't have this problem.

Must admit I'm starting to get concerned about Apple and the number of issues they have had recently. They really need to up their QC and testing otherwise they'll end up with a reputation as bad as Microsoft.

dailo
Nov 1, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm on 4.0.1 and my alarm went off at the correct time. Is it a 4.1 only thing?

Bevz
Nov 1, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thankfully my kids woke me up on time. My alarm finally went off while I was on my way to work! Bit of an embarrassing bug... My girlfriend though it was amusing.. She's not a fan of apple so it just added fuel to the fire :(

Slayter
Nov 1, 2010, 06:50 PM
Not an issue.

You're just setting your alarm clock wrong way.

Steve Jobs.

Sent from my iPhone

mikeoertli
Nov 1, 2010, 07:03 PM
Not an issue.

You're just setting your alarm clock wrong way.

Steve Jobs.

Sent from my iPhone

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this made my day!!

tomszr2
Nov 1, 2010, 07:45 PM
3Gs 32gig southeast Michigan recurring alarm 5:30 am went off an hour early.:confused:

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2010, 09:03 PM
well apple better get 4.2 out this week! i say by friday

DTphonehome
Nov 1, 2010, 11:04 PM

Nope:

Big difference: XP is very rarely running the device you depend on to get you out of bed in the morning.

IAmHeAsYouAreHe
Nov 1, 2010, 11:18 PM
My 9:55pm alarm just went off at 8:55. Guess I need a backup alarm for tomorrow.

warwithwords
Nov 2, 2010, 01:12 AM
If there's a problem domestically, it's probably because DST *used* to end this past weekend. It was changed under the Bush administration to save money in energy bills to last longer, I believe (DST lasting two weeks longer and beginning two weeks earlier, I think).

bcburrows
Nov 2, 2010, 03:00 AM
It is a shame that as apple expand their quality control suffers. I want to rely on apple for my kit but as I get let down more frequently I am forced to move to alternatives.

1) Can no longer trust my phone as my alarm, calendar, appointments
A) Need to now purchase an alarm

2) Airtunes stutters constantly
A) Sonos - and sell the airport extremes I purchased

3) Time capsule - wifi range not as effective as the O2 wireless Box II (free from mobile phone operator)
A) Not sure what I am going to do about it yet

4) New Apple TV
A) Not yet got but hope there are no problems.

5) MBP
A) The only thing keeping my apple love.

sam.walker22
Nov 2, 2010, 06:04 AM
well i was late for work..

ngenerator
Nov 2, 2010, 06:56 AM
Either way, I don't think it'd be Apple's fault if people would lose their jobs if they were one hour late for work once a year. If so, then either a. you work in way too totalitarian of a company (but whatevs, it's your choice) or b. you deserve to be canned because this obviously isn't your first time being late

harley3k
Nov 2, 2010, 07:45 AM
Striking the US too.

My alarm set for 7:30 this morning, went off at 6:30...

Fall DST should be giving me an extra hour sleep damnit...FAIL.

garoto
Nov 2, 2010, 07:49 AM
It happened to me this morning. My alarm was set at 6:30, it woke me up at 5:30 :(:apple:. Think Different. Wake Up Early, even if you don't want to.

wPod
Nov 2, 2010, 10:12 AM
This has been happening to my girlfriend's iPhone for the past few days. We recently went on a trip from Mountain Time to Central Time so I wonder if that had anything to do with it. The trip correlated exactly to when the problem started.

GoHack
Nov 2, 2010, 02:13 PM
I’ve suddenly had it start happening on my iphone, here in the US, and have been baffled about it.

I’m on a business trip in Arizona from Seattle, which are both on Pacific Time, so it didn’t make any sense.

Luckily it was an hour before I had to get up, rather than after.

I’m relieved that I’m not the only one that this is happening to.

nserp
Nov 2, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I don't know if this has been reported before, but apart from my alarm going off an hour late yesterday, today my alarm for a calendar event went off an hour early! This was a repeating event with a 15 minute warning, but I also noticed that the time of the event had moved too! Instead of 5-6pm as it has been for many years, through my Mac and previous iPhone, it has now been moved to 4-5pm. In fact all my calendar events have moved by an hour. For me, not too serious, I only use it to remind me when to leave work to go play football etc, but had it been a business meeting schedule, I wouldn't have been too happy. Anyone else notice anything similar?

Bevz
Nov 2, 2010, 05:42 PM
Oddly i've noticed that even when i delete my wake up alarm out, reset the phone and re-apply the alarm; this morning, it went off any hour later AGAIN! :(

clerik
Nov 3, 2010, 03:00 PM
I have gradually upgraded through all the iPhone versions.

I now have a phone where the alarm goes off an hour late and emails display only in the list with their headers. No body.

Can't Apple fix the basic functions before going off designing some new sparkling bells and whistles???

Or perhaps I should just go back to my Palm Treo ... if Apple don't get their act together there will be a big market for little kits to convert your mini-sim-card into an ordinary sim.

kdarling
Nov 3, 2010, 08:37 PM
Cue the Apple apologist in 3...2...1... BLAST OFF

If you think I'm an Apple apologist, you haven't been paying any attention at all for the past few years :)

But I _am_ sympathetic to fellow overworked programmers.

1. How do the US Congress changing DST affect users in the UK, Russia, Taiwan ect...? Please explain that to me.

You must not be a developer. It's one more coding path, due to different DST date calculations around the world.

2. The change to US DST was passed in 2005.... two years BEFORE the iPhone 1 shipped.

The change in US DST didn't take effect until March 2007. I know from personal experience that a lot of places didn't update their code until the last second.

This was just sloppy programming on the part of Apple Consumer Electronics

It was a mistake on the part of at least one person at Apple, sure. As I pointed out myself, this kind of thing happens because companies have downsized their test groups... and in Apple's case, they went cheap and constantly swap developers around between projects, which is not good for making bulletproof code.

The reason it was not fixed is becase Apple views us as their chattel, who will gladly eat any slop they put before us. They have absolutely no respect for us, if they did then an update would have been pushed weeks ago.

I totally agree that they should've put out a fix immediately, once they knew about it. Can they even do small patches, or must they update the entire OS each time?

Rodimus Prime
Nov 4, 2010, 01:42 AM
If you think I'm an Apple apologist, you haven't been paying any attention at all for the past few years :)

So sum it up apple is cheap.

My problem is the Alarm coding is lazy and piss poor coding on Apples part. It should be tied to the clock which from what I understand is updating just fine. Instead the Alarm needs its own DST with it. That is an example of lazy and crappy coding. It should of been updated with the rest of DST if it has to run on its own but in my mind the Alarm is going to be related direct to the local time and will have nothing to do with moving Time zones.
I would expect it if it was just errors with calendar events but this is the alarm clock. Needs to be with the system clock.

Besides it is really going to get screwed up in 4 months when we go from standard time back to DST. Also what about the people who do not follow DST. I can see them having issues with it in a week. What will apples excuse been then?

As I said lazy and piss poor coding is the cause of this.

trekkie604
Nov 4, 2010, 02:36 AM
Now I know why I have 3 alarms set in the morning just in case: 1st Gen iPod Touch on 3.1.3 set to go off first, iPhone 3GS on 4.1 set to go off 5 minutes later, and finally a Sony Alarm/Clock radio from 1989 that has a freakishly loud buzzer if the iProducts fail to ring ;)

fejennings
Nov 4, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure about the iOS but most mobile times and a great deal of enterprise systems store times based on GMT. For mobile devices this allows you to keep appointments when you move from time zone to time zone.

This complicates can complicate things a bit when checking scheduled events because these are not stored as absolute times based on the local time. Each check involves a calculation.

If there's a glitch in the calculation, like not having DST set properly, it will show up with each calc. The actual dates for DST are most likely implemented as calculations and not absolutes values.

It's still no excuse. These are well known exception events and should be part of an overall regression test suite. Have to go and check into the details n this one.

AidenShaw
Nov 4, 2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure about the iOS but most mobile times and a great deal of enterprise systems store times based on GMT.

The majority use UTC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utc), not GMT.

tombarnes
Nov 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
Does this glitch affect iCal at all? All my events in my iCal (MobileMe synced) are now an hour earlier than before. REALLY ANNOYING.

tigres
Nov 18, 2010, 12:06 PM
Anyone know when we can resume using our iPhones w/recurring alarms again? Like... Functionally working again?

Or is this unicorn 4.2 holding up the works.

Mr Baldman
Nov 19, 2010, 02:28 AM
Anyone know when we can resume using our iPhones w/recurring alarms again? Like... Functionally working again?

Or is this unicorn 4.2 holding up the works.

the bug has been fixed since 7th November - it fixes itself.

Delete and recreate your alarms, thats all you need to do.

DwayneDibbley
Nov 26, 2010, 06:34 PM
the bug has been fixed since 7th November - it fixes itself.

Delete and recreate your alarms, thats all you need to do.

To clarify then, if I buy a new iPhone tomorrow and set up an alarm, will it go screwy next time the Daylight Saving switches? Or has the bug been fixed definitively?

I can't get too wound up about the bug itself, I think I mostly find it funny that Apple are incapable of setting an alarm clock. I gather it caused problems in Europe though (http://www.helium.com/items/2002274-daylight-saving-time-iphone-alarm-bug-makes-europe-late-dst).

Mr Baldman
Nov 27, 2010, 02:08 AM
It will be fine. The bug was fixed in iOS 4.2 apparently

PBF
Nov 27, 2010, 02:19 AM
Look, could we kill this thread until March 2011, please. Thanks.