Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boohoowoofoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Hi guys!

I am interested in learning more about the iPad, and how I can create a mockup magazine for it. I really would like to design a template to be used in Indesign CS4 (or possibly CS5).

I am trying to become more familiar with designing content for the iPad, but it is so confusing! After searching google I found a program called Woodwing, which provides a solution of using InDesign and a template which will let me create content for a magazine in iPad.

Can someone tell me what size I would have to make the InDesign template so that it comes out perfect on an iPad?

Can I used CS4, or do I need to purchase CS5?

I am not a newbie when it comes to InDesign CS4. but iPad stuff is really scaring me

Thanks!

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi guys!

I am interested in learning more about the iPad, and how I can create a mockup magazine for it. I really would like to design a template to be used in Indesign CS4 (or possibly CS5).

I am trying to become more familiar with designing content for the iPad, but it is so confusing! After searching google I found a program called Woodwing, which provides a solution of using InDesign and a template which will let me create content for a magazine in iPad.

Can someone tell me what size I would have to make the InDesign template so that it comes out perfect on an iPad?

Can I used CS4, or do I need to purchase CS5?

I am not a newbie when it comes to InDesign CS4. but iPad stuff is really scaring me

Thanks!

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/digitalpublishing/

This came out of beta last week. Its the same technology that wired magazine uses to make their ipad based "magazines".

You create 2 layouts, a horizontal and a vertical. Simple interactions can be done in indesign, more complicated embedding is done in the AIR app that comes with the download.

Once complete you compile it as an IPA and can view it through Abobe's free ipad app.

The included PDF file walks you through the process clearly.

If you want to create your own branded magazines you use the same software, however, you have to join the beta program and be an IOS developer.

boohoowoofoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Export as PDF = easy magazine.

Not difficult for iPad.

I figured there would be a size difference. It also looks like the iPad won't display links, videos, and images properly as it does not have an acrobat pdf reader but rather its own version of preview.

lucidmedia, thank you for the link and information! This looks like the direction I might have to go.

I am really considering getting the woodwing though, because it really looks like it allows me to create a file inside InDesign and not have to learn any new technologies.

I guess the question I am trying to pose now is should i create a normal 8.5in x 11in document with a bleed or should i create the exact resolution of the iPad as a template?

Thanks!

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
Unfortunately, both the woodwing and adobe solution are so expensive that it leaves independent designers out of the equation.

The Adobe solution will cost $700/month in order to submit and publish your applications to the app store. While you will be able to "design" the applications without paying the monthly fee, you will have to pay if you want them published. On top of the monthly fee, there is a 30¢/issue download cost for every download (even free). And this is all before Apple takes it's 30% share.

Woodwing's solution is only viable if you are currently using their CMS for editorial content which costs tens of thousands of dollars to setup.

Therefore there really is no easy way for a designer to create a digital magazine for the iPad in a cost effective manner yet.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I figured there would be a size difference. It also looks like the iPad won't display links, videos, and images properly as it does not have an acrobat pdf reader but rather its own version of preview.

lucidmedia, thank you for the link and information! This looks like the direction I might have to go.

I am really considering getting the woodwing though, because it really looks like it allows me to create a file inside InDesign and not have to learn any new technologies.

I guess the question I am trying to pose now is should i create a normal 8.5in x 11in document with a bleed or should i create the exact resolution of the iPad as a template?

Thanks!

You create a 2 1024x768 sized documents. One for vertical and one for horizontal layout.

Woodwing and this Adobe solution seem pretty comparable. You can export these files directly out of Indesign Cs5. You only need some of the external helper apps if you are adding more interactive features.

Adobe has a tutorial on labs with some sample files so you can get a sense of how hard building these will be. Seems pretty easy.

How much does woodwing cost? I could not find it on the website.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Other Alternatives?

Excuse my ignorance.

Though can't you design a magazine in pages? Then export as an App.

Or use modern web standards for example: CSS, HTML, JAVASCRIPT. Then export as an App?

Or Write your magazine as a program. Example: Cocoa, C, Core Animation.And then submit as an App?

Are there any Independent and open alternatives besides abode and woodwing?
- Bruce

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Unfortunately, both the woodwing and adobe solution are so expensive that it leaves independent designers out of the equation.

The Adobe solution will cost $700/month in order to submit and publish your applications to the app store. While you will be able to "design" the applications without paying the monthly fee, you will have to pay if you want them published. On top of the monthly fee, there is a 30¢/issue download cost for every download (even free). And this is all before Apple takes it's 30% share.

Woodwing's solution is only viable if you are currently using their CMS for editorial content which costs tens of thousands of dollars to setup.

Therefore there really is no easy way for a designer to create a digital magazine for the iPad in a cost effective manner yet.

Disappointing if true. Can you post your source for Adobe pricing?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Apple needs to update the iBooks application to include a news stand section. (Someone one Macbreak weekly said this, forgive me i do not remember who) They need to issue a decent subscription model (they should still get their 30% cut of course)

They also should issue a basic development framework, that way small magazines without the full design resources do not have to essentially write an app every time they issue a new issue.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
Or use modern web standards for example: CSS, HTML, JAVASCRIPT. Then export as an App?

Or Write your magazine as a program. Example: Cocoa, C, Core Animation.And then submit as an App?

Are there any Independent and open alternatives besides abode and woodwing?
- Bruce

You are absolutely right in this. In fact, this is the preferred method.

The solutions mentioned above are tools for repurposing content from print publication and transforming it into something for the ipad.

Unfortunately, Apple's current thinking is "Xcode or the highway" and they have not stepped up to deliver tools for developing interactive content that are design, not development, focused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.