PDA

View Full Version : Link to my iMac?

Bulldog VII
Nov 1, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi all

I have a wireless network in the house & wanted to know if it was possible to link my iPad to my iMac. I can do this with my MacBook (it should have been called Ibook!!)

What I'm looking to do is to use the iPad to become the iMac, so I can update files on my iMac from the comfort of my other room

I can't see how it can be done, but I'm sure it must be able too??

Thanks

rikbrown
Nov 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
(it should have been called Ibook!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook

hoopster
Nov 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
You need a vnc app for your iPad I can't recommend one as I don't have an iPad. Try search the app store for vnc. I believe Logmein is supposed to be good if you don't mind paying 30 bucks. There's also mocha vnc lite if you looking for something free, don't know how good it is though. Also the macbook replaced the iBook

sandman42
Nov 1, 2010, 12:25 PM
I use Mocha VNC (http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm) all the time. It should do what you want. I originally used the "lite" version, but eventually bought the paid version. It works pretty well, but it does take a little time to get used to their implementation of the touch interface. Single and double tapping are single-clicking (selecting) and double-clicking, just like you'd expect. Tapping and holding is right-clicking, like to bring up a contextual menu. To drag an item, you tap the mouse icon until it says "drag", then you can touch something on the screen and drag it. There are other modes, and after a little time you get used to them.

I've found that I can do pretty much anything I need to through the interface, but some things are cumbersome enough that I'd rather walk to the computer and just do it normally. A few things you should know: I'm not sure if/how it works over anything but a local (e.g. home) network; I've never tried to use it from a remote location over the internet (I think Logmein is built to do that, but I've never tried that app either). Also, there is some lag. Don't expect to be able to watch videos over it, for example, because the refresh rate isn't fast enough (and there's no sound).