PDA

View Full Version : Java Array Question (Noob)

antoneoh
Nov 1, 2010, 11:25 AM
Hello all, I'm a noob java guy and I need some assistance.
I'm trying to make a statement to check if a variable is inside an array. Like if strawberry is in candyArr1 array, the result would be true. Thanks.

public class Candy{

public static void main (String args[]){

String[] candyArr1 = {"butterscotch, marshmallow, strawberry"};

}

}

lee1210
Nov 1, 2010, 11:36 AM
Are you asking if there is a method that will do this for you, or how you would search for this yourself?

For the prior, java.utils.Arrays has a sort method, and a binarySearch method, which you could use to sort then search the array.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Arrays.html#binarySearch(java.lang.Object[],%20java.lang.Object)

If the latter, for each would be a way to do this (though slow/inefficient). It would look like:

boolean containsString (String[] searchList,String toFind) {
if(searchList == null || toFind == null) return false;
for(String single : searchList) {
if(single.equals(toFind)) return true;
}
return false;
}

I haven't compiled or tested that code, and some more robust error-checking is probably in order, but it would look something like that. This is O(n), but doesn't require sorting.

-Lee

macsmurf
Nov 1, 2010, 01:04 PM
This probably won't help you but collections in Java has a contains() method. That means that this will work:

String[] candyArr1 = {"butterscotch", "marshmallow", "strawberry"};
System.out.println(Arrays.asList(candyArr1).contains("marshmallow"));

Anyway, the above is probably confusing so you should instead iterate through the array as Lee explains.

macsmurf
Nov 1, 2010, 01:11 PM
Are you asking if there is a method that will do this for you, or how you would search for this yourself?

For the prior, java.utils.Arrays has a sort method, and a binarySearch method, which you could use to sort then search the array.
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Arrays.html#binarySearch(java.lang.Object[],%20java.lang.Object)

If the latter, for each would be a way to do this (though slow/inefficient). It would look like: <snip>

I haven't compiled or tested that code, and some more robust error-checking is probably in order, but it would look something like that. This is O(n), but doesn't require sorting.

-Lee

sort runs in O(n*log(n)) so the second method is faster than the first.

lee1210
Nov 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
sort runs in O(n*log(n)) so the second method is faster than the first.

Well, sure, if you're only finding one item. =)

-Lee

macsmurf
Nov 1, 2010, 01:30 PM
Well, sure, if you're only finding one item. =)

-Lee

Well, you have a point but big oh doesn't care if you're finding one or more items as long as you're not finding a number of items dependent on n. Finding three items would still be O(n). Then again, big oh cannot directly be viewed as a measure of speed.

antoneoh
Nov 1, 2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the help guys

SidBala
Nov 1, 2010, 11:38 PM
String[] candyArr1 = {"butterscotch, marshmallow, strawberry"};

BTW: That is just one string you have there. As opposed to an array of strings.