PDA

View Full Version : Apple Beat Windows Media Center by 10 Years with the Mac TV

MacBytes
Jan 9, 2005, 08:41 PM
Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Apple Beat Windows Media Center by 10 Years with the Mac TV (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050109214108)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Daveway
Jan 9, 2005, 08:45 PM
As mcuh as I hate to say this, I would have to disagree with the title. Microsoft was the first to bring everything together in one place.

Saad
Jan 9, 2005, 09:15 PM
Mac OS had everything except for the TV interface with the PowerMacs w/ TV cards. They had remotes, TV cards and the equivalents of PVR software tha allowed for AppleScripting.

gunnmjk
Jan 10, 2005, 01:37 AM
ah, this reminds me of my old performa, which had a TV tuner in the back. I hooked it up to my cable box and watched TV in a little corner of the screen while chatting on the net or while writing up a paper for school. it was great!

kettle
Jan 10, 2005, 04:21 AM
My 6500 fits the bill, it even captures composite/s-video video input to allow editing. It has stereo speakers in the 15" monitor AND a sub woofer built into the tower. It plays VCD discs records tv and radio, plus has a remote control. The 5500 had the monitor built in too.

introduced 1997

edit: ooh.. nearly forgot, It also has a voice modem so you can fax and do hands free telephone calls while dropping in the odd system 7 sound file.

That's what I call media :D

brap
Jan 10, 2005, 05:24 AM
So was this (http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/consumer/pctv/PCTVSEC6.htm) released before, or after? Some rabid Googling doesn't find me a date, although 486DX2/66 sounds as if it may be a smidge later.

Eitherway, I think this whole 'We did it first!' thing is quite silly - especially when it's 'We did it first! (And it sold 20 units)'.

Saad
Jan 10, 2005, 06:05 AM
Yeah, 350 MB HD was probably years newer.

SiliconAddict
Jan 10, 2005, 09:40 AM
Ehhh. Kinda flimsy. I mean by their definition simply slapping a TV turner card makes a system a media center which is BS.

SiliconAddict
Jan 10, 2005, 09:46 AM
[Deleted] Sorry, Macrumors is starting to get thrashed with Macworld. causing time outs and I hit post twice. :o

Bakey
Jan 10, 2005, 10:01 AM
Ehhh. Kinda flimsy. I mean by their definition simply slapping a TV turner card makes a system a media center which is BS.

Whooah, calm down fella!! :eek: You're seriously on one today... c'mon breath... that's it, let all that negative energy go...

Doesn't it feel good! :D

ifjake
Jan 10, 2005, 11:09 AM
yeah i must agree this does not equal windows media center. it's a tv tuner in a PC. 10 years ago we didn't have the storage capacity or technology to record TV or put an entire personal music library on a computer. if Microsoft can pull off the next xbox and incorporate with it all the media center stuff they've got going, they'll have quite a nice machine. but they'll still have to pull it off. from what crashes and glitches i hear they experienced at that electronics expo, it only goes to prove that if a cool idea doesn't work, it's no longer cool. that's why the iPod has been so sucessful. Apple took a cool idea and made it work. other tech companies are starting to learn from this. it's going to get quite competive as time goes on. Apple may be considered superior now, but others will catch on.

wdlove
Jan 10, 2005, 11:48 AM
Well maybe Apple was the first to introduce, but it certainly wasn't viable. The important thing is for Apple to do it right, with it's signature ease of use. Now for Apple in 2005 to offer a quality product at the right price.

shamino
Jan 10, 2005, 03:47 PM
Mac OS had everything except for the TV interface with the PowerMacs w/ TV cards. They had remotes, TV cards and the equivalents of PVR software tha allowed for AppleScripting.
My Quadra 840av comes pretty darn close to a media PC. It has built-in video-in ports (composite and S-video, supporting NTSC, PAL and SECAM.) Software bundled with MacOS (going all the way back to system 7.5) could record and playback video.

Although the 840av doesn't have a TV tuner, the Apple Video Player applet does have support for one. I don't know if Apple sold such a product, or if this was a placeholder for future development (or if it only works on a Mac TV.)