Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
So I keep hearing about people who take an internal drive and put it in a firewire case and use that instead of paying the money for a straight external drive that comes together. So what are the pros and cons of doing this? I was looking into getting a lacie d2 250gb external. But if I can save a hundred bucks or more on making it myself, should I look at this as an option?

thanks for any advice or help!

dustin

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
If you want to use the internal 3.5" or 2.5" HDD from your existing system since you are upgrading to a bigger HDD and do not want to throw or store the older drive you will need to:

1. Buy either a 3.5" or 2.5" firewire case for you drive size. 2.5" can be used in a 3.5" HDD FW case with a metal bracket however the 3.5" HDD can only fit in a 3.5" or bigger FW case.

Its quite simple, when you buy a FW case the instructions are all given with it. :)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...there is no real con to building yourself as it is really simple and every kit I have seen gives easy to follow instructions. If you are buying a drive, just make sure it is IDE/ATA and not Serial-ATA (SATA) as just about every kit is IDE.

Also, keep a watch out for deals on the pre-fab external drives, especially this week with Macworld happening as many of the companies attending the expo usually have special prices (and not always just for attendees) on their stuff so you could get a good deal on what you want without having to build yourself.....oh yeah!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Wow, I don't even know those external enclosures exist. That's awesome - I had been lamenting the fact that I will have to give up my speedy and very nice HD when/if I decide to sell my PC. Maybe not necessarily!

Just have to look for a SATA one, since my HD is a SATA drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.